Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Need help with possible upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with possible upgrade

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I currently have a MSI GTX460 1gb in my current rig. I'm debating whether to get a second 460 or just step up to a 560 when the prices come down a little after their initial hype. I know that the 460's in SLi should be the better performer but if I would eventually SLi the 560's too so I'm stuck deciding. What would you guys suggest. Rig is the one listed.
post #2 of 5
You can buy a 460 right now and get a grand performer. remeber this though, as time goes by, 560s will become cheaper, second hand price of 460s will become very low and you will have two 460s to get rid off. If you are ok with that, get the 460 right now.
At least this way, the initial cost will be low yet performance will be high.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955BE ASUS M4A88TD-V-EVO/USB3 MSI GTX 560Ti TwinFROZR II OC Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz C9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500GB Seagate Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Samsung 20" B2030 Corsair TX650 V2 
Case
CM HAF932 (painted black) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955BE ASUS M4A88TD-V-EVO/USB3 MSI GTX 560Ti TwinFROZR II OC Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz C9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500GB Seagate Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Samsung 20" B2030 Corsair TX650 V2 
Case
CM HAF932 (painted black) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Obviously performance wise SLI 460 would be the one to go. Typically a GTX560 is only 33% faster than a 460. With an SLI upgrade you will be getting much more performance. You will be spending around $130 for this upgrade. If you can get a used one much less. The only problem here is your the heat inside the case will increase and also your power consumption will rise.

On the other hand the 560s are around $250. Let's say you can sell your 460 for $100 (probably it will be hard). So you are looking at a $150 bill for a %33 performance upgrade.

Unless you are worried about the clutter inside your case, heat, power consumption go for the 560. I won't worry about the time when you sell them especially if you won't be upgrading at least for 1 year.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E 8400 ASUS X48 Rampage Formula GTX 280 6GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Samsung F3 Vista X64 Asus 25.5" Gigabyte 800 Watt 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E 8400 ASUS X48 Rampage Formula GTX 280 6GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Samsung F3 Vista X64 Asus 25.5" Gigabyte 800 Watt 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Think I'm just going to go with another 460 like I had originally planned. Heats really not an issue and my psu should easily handle the cards. By the time I really upgrade the system both amd and nvidia will have something new on the market anyway. Thanks again.
post #5 of 5
Yer get a second 460 as you'll see a great performance boost You have an A1200 so you should be fine with temps
Enter the dragon
(16 items)
 
Alienware M14x
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Sabertooth  Gigabyte Windforce GTX970 16Gb Corsair  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 120Gb SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Dell S2440L & Samsung SM-245B Razer Blackwidow TBD Corsair Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba XXXL HyperX Asus Xonar D2 - Cambridge Audio Azur 640a - Mo... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 M14xR2 nVidia GT 650m Alienware 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Alienware Windows 7 64bit Alienware 14" 1600x900 Alienware M14x 
Mouse
Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
Enter the dragon
(16 items)
 
Alienware M14x
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Sabertooth  Gigabyte Windforce GTX970 16Gb Corsair  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 120Gb SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Dell S2440L & Samsung SM-245B Razer Blackwidow TBD Corsair Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Mamba XXXL HyperX Asus Xonar D2 - Cambridge Audio Azur 640a - Mo... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 M14xR2 nVidia GT 650m Alienware 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Alienware Windows 7 64bit Alienware 14" 1600x900 Alienware M14x 
Mouse
Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Need help with possible upgrade