Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › VMware help needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VMware help needed - Page 2

post #11 of 24
Above my post is a tutorial. Go to the link that is the correct way. The VM can take control of any USB device from the host PC if set inside VMware. I am not currently running my VM this way as I'm controlling it through RPD via my laptop, but this is possible with a little work.

Rocketman331 posted a tutorial.
 
Home Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 2410m Lenovo Y570 GeForce 555m 4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
750GB 5400 HDD Blu Ray Stock Win 7 64 Home Premium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core2Duo e6320 @2.3GHZ Gigabyte DS3 MSI 8600GTS 4x512MB G.Skill DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x120 GB WD cavair SATA Ubuntu 10.1 VM Win 7 Acer 22" and AOC 19" Logitec wireless keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X-2 550w X-Dreamer logitech mx1000 cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Home Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 2410m Lenovo Y570 GeForce 555m 4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
750GB 5400 HDD Blu Ray Stock Win 7 64 Home Premium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core2Duo e6320 @2.3GHZ Gigabyte DS3 MSI 8600GTS 4x512MB G.Skill DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x120 GB WD cavair SATA Ubuntu 10.1 VM Win 7 Acer 22" and AOC 19" Logitec wireless keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X-2 550w X-Dreamer logitech mx1000 cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 24
i know in esx/esxi you can forward usb ports to vms, but you're never going to be able to play 2 games from one pc at any reasonable quality of game play like you are thinking.

First and biggest problem is that 3d acceleration is barely workable in a vm environment.

Its not made for what you are thinking.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprachuan;12296977 
Above my post is a tutorial. Go to the link that is the correct way. The VM can take control of any USB device from the host PC if set inside VMware. I am not currently running my VM this way as I'm controlling it through RPD via my laptop, but this is possible with a little work.

Rocketman331 posted a tutorial.

But the menu is disabled. It is grey and not clickable. I have never payed something for the software so maybe VM workstation is disabled?
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp459;12297034 
i know in esx/esxi you can forward usb ports to vms, but you're never going to be able to play 2 games from one pc at any reasonable quality of game play like you are thinking.

First and biggest problem is that 3d acceleration is barely workable in a vm environment.

Its not made for what you are thinking.

I tested it and 2 times running Command & Conquer 3 maxed out worked. And no, I am not going to run Crysis twice.
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessonei;12297091 
I tested it and 2 times running Command & Conquer 3 maxed out worked. And no, I am not going to run Crysis twice.

I dont know the difference, ive never played crysis or c&c3...cant comment.

all i can say is that i used to run a few instances of eve online in vm's running out of vmware server for windows and it was miserable for anything but automation.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp459;12297165 
I dont know the difference, ive never played crysis or c&c3...cant comment.

all i can say is that i used to run a few instances of eve online in vm's running out of vmware server for windows and it was miserable for anything but automation.

Well, that is weird since your pc eats mine.
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 24
Not sure why your menu is greyed out. Try powering down the VM and changing the settings. I'm assuming you are using VMware Player if you have not purchased VMware Workstation.

I agree that you will not likely be able to play 2 3d accelerated games concurrently very easily. VMware is designed for troubleshooting software and for virtualizing servers and VDIs not gaming.
 
Home Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 2410m Lenovo Y570 GeForce 555m 4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
750GB 5400 HDD Blu Ray Stock Win 7 64 Home Premium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core2Duo e6320 @2.3GHZ Gigabyte DS3 MSI 8600GTS 4x512MB G.Skill DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x120 GB WD cavair SATA Ubuntu 10.1 VM Win 7 Acer 22" and AOC 19" Logitec wireless keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X-2 550w X-Dreamer logitech mx1000 cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Home Server
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5 2410m Lenovo Y570 GeForce 555m 4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
750GB 5400 HDD Blu Ray Stock Win 7 64 Home Premium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core2Duo e6320 @2.3GHZ Gigabyte DS3 MSI 8600GTS 4x512MB G.Skill DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x120 GB WD cavair SATA Ubuntu 10.1 VM Win 7 Acer 22" and AOC 19" Logitec wireless keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
Ultra X-2 550w X-Dreamer logitech mx1000 cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprachuan;12297231 
Not sure why your menu is greyed out. Try powering down the VM and changing the settings. I'm assuming you are using VMware Player if you have not purchased VMware Workstation.

I use VMplayer for starting up, but VMware workstation opens as well, but most options are greyed out. frown.gif But workstation says I have no expiration of my (free) license. I have shut down the OS already once but still greyed out.
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessonei;12297273 
I use VMplayer for starting up, but VMware workstation opens as well, but most options are greyed out. frown.gif But workstation says I have no expiration of my (free) license. I have shut down the OS already once but still greyed out.

If you haven't already, you may need to install VMWare tools first before you have access to some options. This is the case with VMWare player in any case.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _02;12297347 
If you haven't already, you may need to install VMWare tools first before you have access to some options. This is the case with VMWare player in any case.

How?
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3,33 Ghz Asustek, P5KPL Ati 3870 512 MB 4 Gigabyte (3,5 or something used) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › VMware help needed