Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [youtube] Submerged computer in 3M non-conductive chemical
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[youtube] Submerged computer in 3M non-conductive chemical - Page 2

post #11 of 133
how long do you think it will take for this technology to actually become main stream and be oem for like hp lol.
First Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus Rampage III Gene 2x MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frzor II 3x2 GB 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Caviar Black 120 Gb Corsair Force Series GT 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium 2x HP 2159m 1x HP 2210m 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 InWin Dragon Slayer Steelseries Xai Steelseries Diablo III Qck 
Audio
Pioneer VSX-1021-K + Klipsch WB-14 Icon Espresso 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus Rampage III Gene 2x MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frzor II 3x2 GB 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Caviar Black 120 Gb Corsair Force Series GT 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium 2x HP 2159m 1x HP 2210m 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 InWin Dragon Slayer Steelseries Xai Steelseries Diablo III Qck 
Audio
Pioneer VSX-1021-K + Klipsch WB-14 Icon Espresso 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 133
Low boiling point is how you wick away heat, more efficient to have a gas carry the thermal energy than a liquid. Be interesting to see it with the IHS removed.
Edited by joemaniaci - 2/7/11 at 10:34pm
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 133
Assuming the boiling doesn't make much noise, the PC would be dead silent too.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000;12305095 
Assuming the boiling doesn't make much noise, the PC would be dead silent too.

I disagree, it makes noise when I fart in the tub.
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624;12304690 
Thats pretty interesting. But why doesn't the fluid heat up? I'm not understanding how it is cooling so well. With a bare processor isn't the efficiency pretty bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful;12304614 
Wouldn't it be better to have a high boiling point?

Lower the boiling point the better I'd think.



A cooler's job is take energy (in the form of heat) away from the CPU. This system does that by transmitting energy to the liquid which causes it to change it's phase from liquid to gas(that's why there are bubble). That process needs heat, so it gets it from the CPU, thus the CPU cools down a little bit. Gas is less dense than liquid so the bubbles rise up to the metal area which is being cooled by that fan. When it hits the cooler metal it condenses again, a process which gives off energy(in this case to the metal). Then the liquid drops back into the reservoir and the process happens continuously.

The lower boiling point is good here because the process of evaporating the liquid can occur at a much lower temperature. If the BP was higher, let's say it was water, the CPU would have to get to around 100C before the liquid could cool it.

And as for the bare proc, the reason we use heat sinks is because air is a pretty poor conductor, so in order to move heat from the CPU, we need to pull it away and then dissipate it, or the CPU would overheat since air won't pull the energy from it fast enough. In this case however, a heat sink would be disadvantageous because the medium that's cooling the CPU is the actual liquid, so just as with a CPU block where you want maximum metal to metal contact, in this case you want maximum liquid to metal contact.

I could see this having really useful applications for things like laptops which are already sealed off by design. Phase transition is the most efficient cooling method I know of, so if they could use this liquid in a similar fashion, they could really beef up the GFX cards in laptops.
Edited by B-80 - 2/7/11 at 10:37pm
post #16 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemaniaci;12305098 
I disagree, it makes noise when I fart in the tub.
+1 NICE

I doubt it will make it to main stream. By the time it is that cheap, our CPU's wont have heat issues.
Around Moore's wall of 14-12nm...

Then again What do I know of CPU's 5 years from now.
BLACK!CE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Exetreme4 Gen3 MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 8g 8-9-8 24 1600 
Power
CM 800w Silent Pro Gold 
  hide details  
Reply
BLACK!CE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Exetreme4 Gen3 MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 8g 8-9-8 24 1600 
Power
CM 800w Silent Pro Gold 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 133
i love 3M. Epic if i got to work for them one day.
T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
T3h_Fap_Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz FFFFF Gigabyte EP45-UD3P HD5770 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB + WD 3200AAKS LG Super multi something Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ 22" 1080p 40000DCR 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
crappy gigabyte 430W Antec Truepower Trio CM 690 (modded) Razer Diamondback 3G Flame Red 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Omega Speed Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-80;12305099 
A cooler's job is take energy (in the form of heat) away from the CPU. This system does that by transmitting energy to the liquid which causes it to change it's phase from liquid to gas(that's why there are bubble). That process needs heat, so it gets it from the CPU, thus the CPU cools down a little bit. Gas is less dense than liquid so the bubbles rise up to the metal area which is being cooled by that fan. When it hits the cooler metal it condenses again, a process which gives off energy(in this case to the metal). Then the liquid drops back into the reservoir and the process happens continuously.

The lower boiling point is good here because the process of evaporating the liquid can occur at a much lower temperature. If the BP was higher, let's say it was water, the CPU would have to get to around 100C before the liquid could cool it.

And as for the bare proc, the reason we use heat sinks is because air is a pretty poor conductor, so in order to move heat from the CPU, we need to pull it away and then dissipate it, or the CPU would overheat since air won't pull the energy from it fast enough. In this case however, a heat sink would be disadvantageous because the medium that's cooling the CPU is the actual liquid, so just as with a CPU block where you want maximum metal to metal contact, in this case you want maximum liquid to metal contact.

I could see this having really useful applications for things like laptops which are already sealed off by design. Phase transition is the most efficient cooling method I know of, so if they could use this liquid in a similar fashion, they could really beef up the GFX cards in laptops.

Isn't that called Convection? or is that the opposite.
BLACK!CE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Exetreme4 Gen3 MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 8g 8-9-8 24 1600 
Power
CM 800w Silent Pro Gold 
  hide details  
Reply
BLACK!CE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Z68 Exetreme4 Gen3 MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II 8g 8-9-8 24 1600 
Power
CM 800w Silent Pro Gold 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 133
Not bad, but your entire system has be sealed tight so none of the vapor can escape over time. If the chemical was cheap you could get away with a little bit of vapor leakage, and just throw in a couple ounces of fluid every week or so. I'd invest in something like this if there were easy-to-use cases built for it and the liquid were about 1/8-1/10th the cost per gallon/liter.
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 133
I wonder what if you add a tiny single drop of water :O

everything explode? :O :O :O



Btw.. i'm pretty sure it'll make a bubbling sound.. if you had a fish tank that filter and recycle water, it should be the same, but more quietly, you'll definity hear it when is absolute silents
My Next Gen Rig
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
My Next Gen Rig
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [youtube] Submerged computer in 3M non-conductive chemical