Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Certifications
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows Certifications

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hello,

Im a computer technician for a living both freelance and as a technician for a local school. Something that with the market has made me increasingly more concerned is that I have no certifications, college degree, nothing but the 10 years of expierience that I've been doing this. I've avoided college because I don't know where I want to specialize I've done webdesign, networking, system administration, computer repair/service/building...

Although like I said my 9-5 is at a school and they will pay for schooling. I never followed contemporary learning methods, im sure most of you are the same way. I see something I figure it out, reverse engineer it. So im thinking if im going to be falling into the structure of the man, maybe I should start low and work my way up.

In highschool I did complete 2 semesters of Cisco CCNA. So I know I can conform to the structure, im just concerned with how well ill adapt back after all this time of self education. Bless the internet... :-)

So again I ask what would you recommend, id like to eventually be MSCP, CEH, and who knows I may think of going back and actually get my CCNA. My only problem is I live in vermont and there. Is not much for jobs in the are that deal with. Tech/computers that would come close to paying what would be possable is a more "civilized" part of the country.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
 
MacBook Pro 6.1
(16 items)
 
Server
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 Q720 Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 12 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM & Seagate 750... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 17.3" LED LCD Factory 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Factory Factory Logitech G9X Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro 6.1 17" Intel HD Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N Factory 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mac OS X 10.6.8 17" LED Factory Factory 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Factory Factory None Factory 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Abit IP35 Pro PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX16-PB Quadro NVS 290 256MB 64-b G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dell Perc5/i Samsung HD204UI Seagate Constellation ES SAS Drive Model: ST310... Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Black Western Digital Black 2 x ASUS DRW-2014L1T Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 ASUS VK222U Black 22" 2ms Logitech G15 (Original) - U.S. Dvorak Layout Enermax INFINITI EIN720AWT 720w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
LIAN LI V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX ... Logitech G9x Steven's Computer Service 
  hide details  
Reply
 
MacBook Pro 6.1
(16 items)
 
Server
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 Q720 Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 12 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM & Seagate 750... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 17.3" LED LCD Factory 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Factory Factory Logitech G9X Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro 6.1 17" Intel HD Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N Factory 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mac OS X 10.6.8 17" LED Factory Factory 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Factory Factory None Factory 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Abit IP35 Pro PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX16-PB Quadro NVS 290 256MB 64-b G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dell Perc5/i Samsung HD204UI Seagate Constellation ES SAS Drive Model: ST310... Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Black Western Digital Black 2 x ASUS DRW-2014L1T Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 ASUS VK222U Black 22" 2ms Logitech G15 (Original) - U.S. Dvorak Layout Enermax INFINITI EIN720AWT 720w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
LIAN LI V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX ... Logitech G9x Steven's Computer Service 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest_Inc View Post
Hello,

Im a computer technician for a living both freelance and as a technician for a local school. Something that with the market has made me increasingly more concerned is that I have no certifications, college degree, nothing but the 10 years of expierience that I've been doing this. I've avoided college because I don't know where I want to specialize I've done webdesign, networking, system administration, computer repair/service/building...

Although like I said my 9-5 is at a school and they will pay for schooling. I never followed contemporary learning methods, im sure most of you are the same way. I see something I figure it out, reverse engineer it. So im thinking if im going to be falling into the structure of the man, maybe I should start low and work my way up.

In highschool I did complete 2 semesters of Cisco CCNA. So I know I can conform to the structure, im just concerned with how well ill adapt back after all this time of self education. Bless the internet... :-)

So again I ask what would you recommend, id like to eventually be MSCP, CEH, and who knows I may think of going back and actually get my CCNA. My only problem is I live in vermont and there. Is not much for jobs in the are that deal with. Tech/computers that would come close to paying what would be possable is a more "civilized" part of the country.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
A Computer Science and Engineering Tech degree covers it all, otherwise A+ Network + and Windows certs are a good idea
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Have your employer pay for schooling and/or certifications. Personally, I'd go with certs over a degree.
workstation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K EVGA Z68 SLI GeForce 670 GTX G.Skill 32GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 3 60GB Zalman arch x86_x64 U3011 + U3014 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PCPowerCooling 860w Chenbro server G500 Asus D2X, Def Tech 5.3 
  hide details  
Reply
workstation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K EVGA Z68 SLI GeForce 670 GTX G.Skill 32GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 3 60GB Zalman arch x86_x64 U3011 + U3014 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PCPowerCooling 860w Chenbro server G500 Asus D2X, Def Tech 5.3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadx View Post
Have your employer pay for schooling and/or certifications. Personally, I'd go with certs over a degree.
What certifications would you look into for tech support and network administration? I work 65+ hours a week between my jobs and id prefer to study for certificationsf and then challenge the exams as opposed to formal classes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
 
MacBook Pro 6.1
(16 items)
 
Server
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 Q720 Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 12 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM & Seagate 750... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 17.3" LED LCD Factory 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Factory Factory Logitech G9X Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro 6.1 17" Intel HD Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N Factory 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mac OS X 10.6.8 17" LED Factory Factory 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Factory Factory None Factory 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Abit IP35 Pro PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX16-PB Quadro NVS 290 256MB 64-b G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dell Perc5/i Samsung HD204UI Seagate Constellation ES SAS Drive Model: ST310... Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Black Western Digital Black 2 x ASUS DRW-2014L1T Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 ASUS VK222U Black 22" 2ms Logitech G15 (Original) - U.S. Dvorak Layout Enermax INFINITI EIN720AWT 720w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
LIAN LI V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX ... Logitech G9x Steven's Computer Service 
  hide details  
Reply
 
MacBook Pro 6.1
(16 items)
 
Server
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 Q720 Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 12 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM & Seagate 750... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 17.3" LED LCD Factory 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Factory Factory Logitech G9X Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro 6.1 17" Intel HD Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N Factory 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mac OS X 10.6.8 17" LED Factory Factory 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Factory Factory None Factory 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Abit IP35 Pro PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX16-PB Quadro NVS 290 256MB 64-b G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dell Perc5/i Samsung HD204UI Seagate Constellation ES SAS Drive Model: ST310... Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Black Western Digital Black 2 x ASUS DRW-2014L1T Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 ASUS VK222U Black 22" 2ms Logitech G15 (Original) - U.S. Dvorak Layout Enermax INFINITI EIN720AWT 720w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
LIAN LI V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX ... Logitech G9x Steven's Computer Service 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest_Inc View Post
What certifications would you look into for tech support and network administration? I work 65+ hours a week between my jobs and id prefer to study for certificationsf and then challenge the exams as opposed to formal classes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
A+ and network+
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Certifications