Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ZeroPaid] Sony Demands IP Addresses of YouTube PS3 Hack Viewers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ZeroPaid] Sony Demands IP Addresses of YouTube PS3 Hack Viewers - Page 25

post #241 of 278
id be careful if i was sony. they keep trying to push peoples and company's buttons its only gonna be a matter of time before someone says enough is enough and pushes back and put sony back to earth level. i understand protecting your software and hardware but to the extent of pissing off your consumers is a lil overboard dont you think sony
2013
(11 items)
 
2016
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor X79-DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Corsair Vengence 2400mhz 16 gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F series WD Blue  Corsair H100 Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung Series 5 40" LED Smart TV Corsair AX 1200 Raidmax Vampire 
  hide details  
Reply
2013
(11 items)
 
2016
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor X79-DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Corsair Vengence 2400mhz 16 gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F series WD Blue  Corsair H100 Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung Series 5 40" LED Smart TV Corsair AX 1200 Raidmax Vampire 
  hide details  
Reply
post #242 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radius Kid View Post
Not necessarily.
Like any other update,they could have done the deed without telling their users what they were doing.
Otherwise why would you do a PS3 update that you KNOW will kill your Linux install?
Remember Adobe's manual updates?
They went automatic somewhere around 8.5,IIRC.
Good bye Adobe,hello Foxit.
Yes necessarily. They didn't force you to upgrade. You still have a fully functional console, minus access to the PSN and future features. If people blindly update, they deserve what ever it gets them.The terms every user agrees to clearly informs them that with each update, something can be removed. If you really want that particular feature, which these "hackers" claim they do, then they would have taken the time to read the release notes and see what was going to happen prior to updating. So, you can still have OtherOS support to this day if you really wanted it. There is no excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzyko80 View Post
id be careful if i was sony. they keep trying to push peoples and company's buttons its only gonna be a matter of time before someone says enough is enough and pushes back and put sony back to earth level. i understand protecting your software and hardware but to the extent of pissing off your consumers is a lil overboard dont you think sony
They are only pissing off the ignorant people who think they own the software. They should be gaining respect from any logical person. I for one love the fact they are taking action against people who exploit their content. I would hate having cheaters playing online with me, or having excellent development diminish due to piracy sales drop. It will be like playing on a PC.
Edited by Zinxe - 2/13/11 at 1:20pm
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #243 of 278
"A third lawsuit was filed against Sony on May 5 by Todd Densmore of Cumming, Ga., and Antal Herz of San Francisco, Calif. The suit claimed that Sony failed to disclose to customers that it reserved the right to remove advertised, built-in features, says IGN. The suit also alleged that the right to remove Other OS was not disclosed in Sony's Terms of Service or System Software License Agreement, says the story."


That's from the end of the Airforce article.
Apparenty a judge has ruled these gentlemen have their ducks in a row about Sony's "advertized" claims and what they took away without permission.
post #244 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radius Kid View Post
"A third lawsuit was filed against Sony on May 5 by Todd Densmore of Cumming, Ga., and Antal Herz of San Francisco, Calif. The suit claimed that Sony failed to disclose to customers that it reserved the right to remove advertised, built-in features, says IGN. The suit also alleged that the right to remove Other OS was not disclosed in Sony's Terms of Service or System Software License Agreement, says the story."


That's from the end of the Airforce article.
Apparenty a judge has ruled these gentlemen have their ducks in a row about Sony's "advertized" claims and what they took away without permission.
That's what the suit CLAIMED, not the decision it resulted in. The lawsuit had "no leg to stand on."

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/09/21/p...g-to-stand-on/

Quote:
Sony also pointed out that the suit is not valid as the warranty, System Software License Agreement and PSN Terms of Service, clearly states that PS3 owners are licensing the software[OS] and does not have an ownership interest.

This is a crucial point as there is a difference in having a stake, or ownership, in the software technology (patent) and being a licensee- like Windows XP or any other license based software.

Also, the last nail in the coffin seems to be the fact that the plaintiffs have failed to produce any sort of marketing/advertising material issued by Sony referencing ‘Other OS’ feature.

Sony points out that the plaintiffs have not provided much evidence.

Instead, it includes a mix of quotes drawn from obscure articles and unrelated third party publications, and a smattering of out of context and incomplete references to a few pages of SCEA’s website and user manual.
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #245 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
Yes necessarily. They didn't force you to upgrade. You still have a fully functional console, minus access to the PSN and future features. If people blindly update, they deserve what ever it gets them.The terms every user agrees to clearly informs them that with each update, something can be removed. If you really want that particular feature, which these "hackers" claim they do, then they would have taken the time to read the release notes and see what was going to happen prior to updating. So, you can still have OtherOS support to this day if you really wanted it. There is no excuse.



They are only pissing off the ignorant people who think they own the software. They should be gaining respect from any logical person. I for one love the fact they are taking action against people who exploit their content. I would hate having cheaters playing online with me, or having excellent development diminish due to piracy sales drop. It will be like playing on a PC.

Valid points,but I'm still wondering is:

Were the users informed of the SCOPE of the updates or were they just told they were "security" updates?
I can't see a raft of Linux users installing the O/S and then killing the install with an update they KNOW will hurt them.
SOME of them must have read the terms before doing this?

According to the Airforce article,when they sent their machines in for repair,the firmware was updated and the machines were rendered useless to them.
I don't see that as accepting an update.

I do see it as more of Sony's shenanigans though.
Remember the CD virus fiasco I mentioned earlier?
post #246 of 278
The firmware release notes had clear indication that the OtherOS feature was being removed. It was also announced well before (by that I mean a few days before) the update even released. I always read release notes, though usually after I updated already.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...-v3-21-update/

That scenario where Sony removed OtherOS from the Air Force's units and sent them back is no doubt pretty wrong, since Sony well knew that they were ONLY running Linux on those PS3s; they didn't even have Blu-Ray capability.
Edited by Stealth Pyros - 2/13/11 at 1:35pm
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #247 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
That's what the suit CLAIMED, not the decision it resulted in. The lawsuit had "no leg to stand on."

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/09/21/p...g-to-stand-on/

Point taken.
Good info'.
It seems that because there was no financial loss,the case was thrown out. :

"Sony pointed out that one plaintiff never installed Other OS on his PS3 and two only used features on Other OS available on the PS3. Only one person was able to prove he used productivity applications on Linux."
post #248 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
The firmware release notes had clear indication that the OtherOS feature was being removed. It was also announced well before (by that I mean a few days before) the update even released. I always read release notes, though usually after I updated already.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...-v3-21-update/

That scenario where Sony removed OtherOS from the Air Force's units and sent them back is no doubt pretty wrong, since Sony well knew that they were ONLY running Linux on those PS3s; they didn't even have Blu-Ray capability.

Good link on the V3-21 update.
Since most people would get their messages on the TV screen,I wonder if they got the same blurb you posted a link to?
The four main points are led by dots,but the info about breaking access to the other O/S is in a paragraph.
Could that be considered as misleading?
I also wonder how many thousands of other PS3's went in for service and came back with the update against their owners permission...after all,they did it to the Airforce?
post #249 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radius Kid View Post
Point taken.
Good info'.
It seems that because there was no financial loss,the case was thrown out. :

"Sony pointed out that one plaintiff never installed Other OS on his PS3 and two only used features on Other OS available on the PS3. Only one person was able to prove he used productivity applications on Linux."
Yea, that's kind of a big defense in Sony's favor and it's likely what threw the lawsuit out the window.

The way I draw out the session:

Sony: "Ok, what could you guys possibly be doing on Linux that is so amazingly out of this world and affects your PS3 experience so tremendously?"

Customer 1: "Ehh... well, I never really used the OtherOS feature, I'm just here... just cause."

Customer 2: "I plead the 5th." (Obvious pirate)

Customer 3: "I am a professional software programmer and used Linux on PS3 for educational purposes to learn the Linux system, but haven't really suffered any monetary damages from the removal of OtherOS." (Legitimate plaintiff)

Customer 4: "Well, we're the U.S. Air Force, we can't really go into detail on what we used Linux for, but now all the PS3s we bought are useless to us. We can't detail you what our losses were either." (Legitimate plaintiff)

Court: "Well, since no serious damages were caused and no one can show proof of false advertising, we rule in favor of Sony."

Customers suing:
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #250 of 278
@ zinxe i get your point and i for one do not support and hate malicious hackers and cheaters im just trying to say that if im paying for a 300 dollar hardware shouldn't i have a say on what software i want on it as long as its within legal bounds like me installing an after market burning software in windows cause i do not like the one that is provided
2013
(11 items)
 
2016
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor X79-DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Corsair Vengence 2400mhz 16 gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F series WD Blue  Corsair H100 Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung Series 5 40" LED Smart TV Corsair AX 1200 Raidmax Vampire 
  hide details  
Reply
2013
(11 items)
 
2016
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor X79-DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Corsair Vengence 2400mhz 16 gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair F series WD Blue  Corsair H100 Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung Series 5 40" LED Smart TV Corsair AX 1200 Raidmax Vampire 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ZeroPaid] Sony Demands IP Addresses of YouTube PS3 Hack Viewers