Originally Posted by Stillhouse
So, you want to submerge electrical equipment in a highly flammable, toxic and corrosive fluid? Been nice knowing ya.
I work with methanol every day. I don't need you to tell me about it's properties.
But since you've been so forthcoming with that information, let me tell you how wrong it is.
It's not highly flammable. It's flammable. You'd have to be an idiot to light methanol on fire in this type of environment. It takes effort to light methanol on fire. Secondly, it's non-conduction, so whether or not it's electrical equipment is irrelevant. It's not corrosive to any measurable degree for this application, even if I did this at ambient temperates.
Originally Posted by shurik06_83
alky pulls moisture out of the air so after a few hours days it will become conductive
alky in a closed loop will remain non conductive and will save ur rig is u have a leak
i used alky in a loop cause i froze antifreeze so i needed something my chiller couldn't freeze
but water contacts heat better then alky so up to u
It'll indeed be a closed system, but not a loop. My idea is to create turbulence in key areas; with methanol's low viscosity and a temperature of about -27 in a large body of methanol, this should be an extremely effective and relatively low maintenance cooling solution. I could do it with something as simple as an aquarium, insulated, and with a sealed top, I imagine. Trying to think up a semi-compact way of cooling the methanol is the difficult part.Edited by Mookster - 2/10/11 at 8:33am