Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › My first loop - your comments are welcome!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first loop - your comments are welcome! - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix_1011 View Post
Single loop; dual loops won't benefit you, esp. if you are short on space as it is.

If you are going to run SLI, just might as well start with a custom loop:

MCP355 with a top/res or a pump/bay res
2 3x120 rads
2 GPU blocks
1 CPU block

tubing, fittings, fans
Thanks... so it sounds like you're saying I need TWO 3x120 rads... so i take it, there's no way I can keep everything inside the case without modding it? *sad face*
My new P67 build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS Sabertooth P67 EVGA 580 GTX Stock Corsair Vengeance 8Gb CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ADATA 120Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blue-ray reader Windows x64 Home Premium Full Viewsonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
My new P67 build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS Sabertooth P67 EVGA 580 GTX Stock Corsair Vengeance 8Gb CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ADATA 120Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blue-ray reader Windows x64 Home Premium Full Viewsonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM, M.D. View Post
except I will probably end up using the rear rad as an intake for positive airflow (don't want to get the front bay fan section due to lack of space).

But since this is my first shot at watercooling, I thought I would try something simple first and just include a single 580 in my loop for now. At the same time I also want to add a second 580 and a CPU in the same loop later on, so I want to make sure it's 'future proof'.

Here's what I'm thinking about for now:

Loop:
(GPU): Res > Pump > 360 Rad > GPU > Res, with triple rad on top as exhaust
(CPU): H70 push-pull in the rear, as intake
I'm aware that H70 will suck the hot air in, but I'm hoping it's not going to result in too much heat inside the case because I'm WC'ing the video cards - right?
Quote:
Plus, its watercooling. Whether you know it now or not, you're gonna want to do more. Trust me.
-so true. anyway...

Any intake through a radiator will increase temps, more than you probably want. I'd say easily 5C increase, probably more. I would strongly recommend not doing it. Otherwise the loop looks good, I'd highly recommend the EK block for your 580, and you can either go for a bay res with the 35x pump or a top and T-line, combinations are pretty much endless, and none are really worse than others by any realistic amount. A single 320 will be able to handle CPU and 580, adding a 240 is your best bet in the future. If you're ambitious and not afraid to get your hands dirty, I might even suggest 480 top and then the by now standard 240 mod in the bottom. Or you could go the way of my sig rig rad configuration.

Edit: Reread and saw your comments, a thick 360 on top (EK/Feser/Thermochill) and a 120 inside exhausting, will work fine for now, and can handle the SLI + CPU in the future, although it will be taxed and not perform at the level that you might want out to the loop, but it will handle the heatload. Single loop/single pump is fine, dual loops are not needed, and I would say top rad exhaust, rear rad exhaust, and have a pair of 140mm fans in the bottom and midplate to get cool air fed in. Modding the window is also an easy way to add intakes and acrylic is easy and cheap if you decide you don't like the results Give us some more info on desired noise levels and we can pick a more specific fan/rad combo for you.
Edited by SaltwaterCooled - 2/10/11 at 3:08pm
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 22
1 360 rad and 1 240 rad in the bottom of your 800D case will be good.
That's what I got in mine and right now while foldeing gpu's are at 45 and cpu is 54.
At idle the gpu's are 35 and the cpu is 32.
Slides Dream
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930k w/ XSPC Raystorm  Asus Rampage V Extreme  Evga GTX 980ti w/Ek blocks SLI GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 64 gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE750BW LG Bdrewriter Win 10 Dell U3011 & ViewSonic 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries EVGA 1600 G2 Modded Corsair 800D Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
n/a 
  hide details  
Reply
Slides Dream
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5930k w/ XSPC Raystorm  Asus Rampage V Extreme  Evga GTX 980ti w/Ek blocks SLI GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 64 gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE750BW LG Bdrewriter Win 10 Dell U3011 & ViewSonic 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries EVGA 1600 G2 Modded Corsair 800D Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
n/a 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 22
Good call on the 360+120 rad idea...push/pull would help with that.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 790i FTW SLI GTX260 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID0 74gb Raptors; 1TB WD Black Samsung OEM DVD-RW Win 7 Ultimate Hanns G 28.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 BFG 1200w Gigabyte Aurora v.1 MS Sidewinder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix_1011 View Post
Good call on the 360+120 rad idea...push/pull would help with that.
Yes, 480 worth of radiator area is plenty for that, and will handle a 3 blocks too. Also saw you noted VL3N QDCs, definitely not worth the price premium to go with VL4, the VL3s work very well and the 'leakage' is on the order of a drop or less, sometimes nothing, definitely nothing to be concerned about. Have you thought about fans/rads at all? All that really matters is picking a noise range you want, and then picking fans to fit that, and a rad thats optimized for that level airflow. Most rads these days are fairly low Fins Per Inch, which is good for quiet, low airflow situations.
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterCooled View Post
-so true. anyway...
Single loop/single pump is fine, dual loops are not needed, and I would say top rad exhaust, rear rad exhaust, and have a pair of 140mm fans in the bottom and midplate to get cool air fed in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix_1011
Good call on the 360+120 rad idea...push/pull would help with that.
Great, thanks for the advice guys - if you think it'll work then I'm going to go with that!!

Adding a pair of 140mm fans to the bottom doesn't require any modding, right? I already have a ~1800 RPM 140mm Noiseblocker in the midplate, so I should just add two more of those in the bottom - right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterCooled
Also saw you noted VL3N QDCs, definitely not worth the price premium to go with VL4, the VL3s work very well and the 'leakage' is on the order of a drop or less, sometimes nothing, definitely nothing to be concerned about.
Thanks - good to know! I was actually just curious if anyone else makes any black QDC's (for better looks ) but if your advice is to go with Koolance VL3N I will certainly go with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterCooled
Have you thought about fans/rads at all? All that really matters is picking a noise range you want, and then picking fans to fit that, and a rad thats optimized for that level airflow. Most rads these days are fairly low Fins Per Inch, which is good for quiet, low airflow situations.
Thanks - yeah, I was going to buy XSPC RX360 and RX120 with 5 GentleTyphoons AP15s (3 for 360, 2 for 120 in push-pull if I have to - an external fan in the rear will of course ruin the looks but hey, something's gotta give right? ). I chose these rads + fans because I heard they're good choice for quiet but powerful operation, but it'd be great if you could recommend something better!!

In terms of noise, I was hoping to get achieve something similar, or maybe a little quieter than my current setup, that is H70 with 2 GentleTyphoon APs in push-pull, and two 140mm Noiseblockers on the intake, one in the rear, one in the midplate. Sorry it's hard to quantify it with dBs, but basically if I can't hear them over most dialogues in videogames / movies on normal (comfortable) sound setting than it's good enough for me!

So as far as noise is concerned I'm not super picky, my main goal was to get rid of that leaf-blower of a stock air cooler on my 580 (and I can only imagine how TWO of them will sound! )

Thanks again - any other ideas are also most welcome
My new P67 build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS Sabertooth P67 EVGA 580 GTX Stock Corsair Vengeance 8Gb CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ADATA 120Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blue-ray reader Windows x64 Home Premium Full Viewsonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
My new P67 build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS Sabertooth P67 EVGA 580 GTX Stock Corsair Vengeance 8Gb CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ADATA 120Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blue-ray reader Windows x64 Home Premium Full Viewsonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM, M.D. View Post
Adding a pair of 140mm fans to the bottom doesn't require any modding, right? I already have a ~1800 RPM 140mm Noiseblocker in the midplate, so I should just add two more of those in the bottom - right?
Just need to add one, a single 140 will drop right in between the PSU support rails and the HDD cage.

Thanks - good to know! I was actually just curious if anyone else makes any black QDC's (for better looks ) but if your advice is to go with Koolance VL3N I will certainly go with that.
I'd say go for the VL3N, there isn't much else out there, and they're not bright and shiny, they aren't dark either, but sort of a smoked-stainless.

Thanks - yeah, I was going to buy XSPC RX360 and RX120 with 5 GentleTyphoons AP15s (3 for 360, 2 for 120 in push-pull if I have to - an external fan in the rear will of course ruin the looks but hey, something's gotta give right? ). I chose these rads + fans because I heard they're good choice for quiet but powerful operation, but it'd be great if you could recommend something better!!
Good rads and fans, you should consider joining the OCN group buy of GT29s!
In terms of noise, I was hoping to get achieve something similar, or maybe a little quieter than my current setup, that is H70 with 2 GentleTyphoon APs in push-pull, and two 140mm Noiseblockers on the intake, one in the rear, one in the midplate. Sorry it's hard to quantify it with dBs, but basically if I can't hear them over most dialogues in videogames / movies on normal (comfortable) sound setting than it's good enough for me!
That's the general range I was asking about- the RX's and GT's will do well there, even push or pull, not even really a need for both. I found that replacing the hex grills with wire round ones reduced the noise signature too. (if you get picky about it, like me )

So as far as noise is concerned I'm not super picky, my main goal was to get rid of that leaf-blower of a stock air cooler on my 580 (and I can only imagine how TWO of them will sound! )
EK block will work wonders for that! I like that it has specific channels over the VRM circuitry to help cool them, especially in light of the issues with 570 VRMs, not that those necessarily apply to a 580.
Thanks again - any other ideas are also most welcome
Glad to help, keep the questions coming
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all your help so far!
Here’s my pre-final list for the current build with a single 580 GTX – found everything on jab-tech (except fans and QDC on frozen-cpu), still need to pick the right res+top though:

Loop:
Res > Pump > Rad > CPU > 120 rad > GPU > 360 rad > Res

Pump:
Swiftech MCP355 (Laing DDC) - $74 at jab-tech

Rads:
XSPC RX360 - $88 at jab-tech
XSPC RX120 – $48 at jab-tech. By the way please let me know opting for 140 rad + fan will result in better performance

Tubing:
Tygon R3400 Black 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD, 15ft - $50 at jab-tech

Fans:
Gentle Typhoon AP-15 – x4 - $48 at frozencpu (out of stock at jab-tech)
Noiseblocker NB PK-3 140mm 1700 RPM – for the bottom intake - $25 on frozencpu

Fittings:
Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" 1/2" 3/4" x7 – 2 for pump, 4 for two rads, 1 just in case - $60 at jab-tech
Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" 1/2" 3/4" 90' angle – 2 for CPU and 2 for GPU - $80 at jab-tech ($20 each). By the way should I get 45’ fittings instead, or 90’ are better?
Koolance QDC VL3N (male + female) - $30 at frozencpu

Other stuff:
Silver strip - $5 at jab-tech
Dust filters - $16 at jab-tech
Distilled water – I’ll try to find it my local grocery stores but somehow I don’t recall seeing it there

Res+Top:
OK this is my main challenge..please help me pick one of these options or recommend your own:
  1. EK DDC X-Top Pump Top Rev. 2 – it looks great, but it goes on top of the pump, so the only place to put it in 800D that I can think of is the 140mm fan hole in the midplate, which would completely block the air! Besides it’s out of stock
  2. XSPC Acrylic Reservoir DDC Top – very tempting due to its simplicity (top/res combo) and I heard it’s the best performing DDC top, but again where would I mount it? It will probably look ugly on the midplate, and if I hide it in the 5.25” bay cage it will effectively block most if not all 5.25” slots…
  3. XSPC Laing DDC Top + EK Multi-option Res – will look even better than #1 with EK Res hanging by the hot-swap bay, but then I’d have to mount the pump right on the midplate by the GPUs (to avoid blocking the 140mm intake fan) so I’m guessing it will look messy with the pump sitting right in front of the MB/GPU and all the tubing going back and forth
  4. Bay res + pump. Is there any 5.25” bay reservoir designed for a single DDC pump? I found XSPC bay res for D5 and dual-top DDC, but no single DDC bay res/top.
  5. I’m open to any other suggestions on mounting the DDC + res inside the case without taking up too many 5.25” bay slots AND without blocking the 140mm midplate and bottom intake fans I tried lurking for ideas, but I couldn’t find a setup like mine with bottom/midplate fans being the only intake…everybody is just putting the pump by the PSU which won’t work in my case I think.

Final question: depending on the res+top option, the total comes down to about $750 – is this a normal cost for a loop like this (designed with future in mind) or do you see an overkill somewhere? I’m OK with dropping $750 on this but just wanted to make sure I’m not buying any unnecessary stuff (besides tomorrow is my B-day so I won’t feel too bad for wasting all this money on myself )

Thanks in advance!
-DM
My new P67 build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS Sabertooth P67 EVGA 580 GTX Stock Corsair Vengeance 8Gb CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ADATA 120Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blue-ray reader Windows x64 Home Premium Full Viewsonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
My new P67 build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS Sabertooth P67 EVGA 580 GTX Stock Corsair Vengeance 8Gb CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
ADATA 120Gb SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB LG Blue-ray reader Windows x64 Home Premium Full Viewsonic 22" 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 22
$750 isn't the cheapest but also isn't unreasonable considering what you are getting. Personally I don't use quick disconnects are they are expensive and always make me nervous. Instead I plan my loop so that it has an easy way to drain it (I just turn my computer upside down and use the port I filled it with).

Good luck!
 
HTPC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930k MSI X79MA-GD45 Powercolor 7950 G Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Swiftech Apogee XT Rev. 1 EK-FC HWLabs Black Ice GTX 240 and a Koolance HX-CU72... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
MCP 35X and a MCP 350 Koolance 401x2 Opensuse 12.1 Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky OCN with cherry blues Antec True Power New 650W Cooler Master CM690 II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Gigabyte p55-ud2 GTX 430 G Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Samsung HD204UI Fedora 15 Corsair CX-430 Silverstone GC04 
  hide details  
Reply
 
HTPC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930k MSI X79MA-GD45 Powercolor 7950 G Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Swiftech Apogee XT Rev. 1 EK-FC HWLabs Black Ice GTX 240 and a Koolance HX-CU72... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
MCP 35X and a MCP 350 Koolance 401x2 Opensuse 12.1 Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky OCN with cherry blues Antec True Power New 650W Cooler Master CM690 II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Gigabyte p55-ud2 GTX 430 G Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Samsung HD204UI Fedora 15 Corsair CX-430 Silverstone GC04 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM, M.D. View Post
Thanks for all your help so far!
Here’s my pre-final list for the current build with a single 580 GTX – found everything on jab-tech (except fans and QDC on frozen-cpu), still need to pick the right res+top though:

Loop:
Res > Pump > Rad > CPU > 120 rad > GPU > 360 rad > Res

Pump:
Swiftech MCP355 (Laing DDC) - $74 at jab-tech

Rads:
XSPC RX360 - $88 at jab-tech
XSPC RX120 – $48 at jab-tech. By the way please let me know opting for 140 rad + fan will result in better performance

Tubing:
Tygon R3400 Black 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD, 15ft - $50 at jab-tech

Fans:
Gentle Typhoon AP-15 – x4 - $48 at frozencpu (out of stock at jab-tech)
Noiseblocker NB PK-3 140mm 1700 RPM – for the bottom intake - $25 on frozencpu

Fittings:
Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" 1/2" 3/4" x7 – 2 for pump, 4 for two rads, 1 just in case - $60 at jab-tech
Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" 1/2" 3/4" 90' angle – 2 for CPU and 2 for GPU - $80 at jab-tech ($20 each). By the way should I get 45’ fittings instead, or 90’ are better?
Koolance QDC VL3N (male + female) - $30 at frozencpu

Other stuff:
Silver strip - $5 at jab-tech
Dust filters - $16 at jab-tech
Distilled water – I’ll try to find it my local grocery stores but somehow I don’t recall seeing it there

Res+Top:
OK this is my main challenge..please help me pick one of these options or recommend your own:
  1. EK DDC X-Top Pump Top Rev. 2 – it looks great, but it goes on top of the pump, so the only place to put it in 800D that I can think of is the 140mm fan hole in the midplate, which would completely block the air! Besides it’s out of stock
  2. XSPC Acrylic Reservoir DDC Top – very tempting due to its simplicity (top/res combo) and I heard it’s the best performing DDC top, but again where would I mount it? It will probably look ugly on the midplate, and if I hide it in the 5.25†bay cage it will effectively block most if not all 5.25†slots…
  3. XSPC Laing DDC Top + EK Multi-option Res – will look even better than #1 with EK Res hanging by the hot-swap bay, but then I’d have to mount the pump right on the midplate by the GPUs (to avoid blocking the 140mm intake fan) so I’m guessing it will look messy with the pump sitting right in front of the MB/GPU and all the tubing going back and forth
  4. Bay res + pump. Is there any 5.25†bay reservoir designed for a single DDC pump? I found XSPC bay res for D5 and dual-top DDC, but no single DDC bay res/top.
  5. I’m open to any other suggestions on mounting the DDC + res inside the case without taking up too many 5.25†bay slots AND without blocking the 140mm midplate and bottom intake fans I tried lurking for ideas, but I couldn’t find a setup like mine with bottom/midplate fans being the only intake…everybody is just putting the pump by the PSU which won’t work in my case I think.

Final question: depending on the res+top option, the total comes down to about $750 – is this a normal cost for a loop like this (designed with future in mind) or do you see an overkill somewhere? I’m OK with dropping $750 on this but just wanted to make sure I’m not buying any unnecessary stuff (besides tomorrow is my B-day so I won’t feel too bad for wasting all this money on myself )

Thanks in advance!
-DM
Newegg for the pump.

750 seems like alot, but I'll look tomorrow when I'm more awake I'd save some money and get GTs in the group buy, they're due to be purchased in the next few days, and then they'll take about 3 wks to arrive. ~8 each for the next performance level (GT29).
Have you looked at all at PPCs vs Jabtech vs FCPU? Also Sidewinder Computers, Gary and John are great there. I'll review this more in the morning, I think we can shave some money off.
Also, for the pump/res, I'd go with either a bay res, or a pump top and then hang a tube res between the mobo and the 5.25 bays, that's a pretty common location.
I keep thinking of things: A 140mm rad won't fit inside on the 140 rear spot in the 800D, just FYI, so I'd recommend the RX120 instead.
Lastly, 45s wherever possible, they're much less restrictive than 90s, but if you need them the 355 can handle a few 90s. The fewer the better though.

Happy Birthday! We'll get this list taken care of before the weekend is out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdatmo View Post
$750 isn't the cheapest but also isn't unreasonable considering what you are getting. Personally I don't use quick disconnects are they are expensive and always make me nervous. Instead I plan my loop so that it has an easy way to drain it (I just turn my computer upside down and use the port I filled it with).

Good luck!
They're not cheap, but the VL3N and 4N don't leak and really are incredibly useful, they make life so much easier especially like in my rig where I have them around the GPU's to make troubleshooting and service easier.
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
AC Mk-800 Cobra
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Zotac GTX 570 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD WD Red WD AV-GP Samsung CD/DVD Combo 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win-7 Pro x64 HP LP3065 30" 2560x1600 Dell 1600x1200 Portrait Monoprice Gaming Keyboard w/ MX Blacks 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX850 Modified Corsair Obsidian 800D Logitech G700 X-Fi Titanium PCIe 
Other
Happauge 2250 Tuner Card 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › My first loop - your comments are welcome!