Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › A question to IPS panel owners.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A question to IPS panel owners.

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
So I am trying to justify buying an IPS panel for graphic/web design but the one question I keep asking myself that is holding me back is this:

Even if I get an IPS panel which should give more accurate color reproduction... more than likely the people viewing my artwork online will be using a TN or some other kind of screen, so they won't be seeing how the colors look when I look at it but rather when they look at it which could potentially make the image look worse.

I am thinking I would be better off going with the more mainstream type of monitor so that way when people view my art/websites online they look just like I intended them to look.
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
So I am trying to justify buying an IPS panel for graphic/web design but the one question I keep asking myself that is holding me back is this:

Even if I get an IPS panel which should give more accurate color reproduction... more than likely the people viewing my artwork online will be using a TN or some other kind of screen, so they won't be seeing how the colors look when I look at it but rather when they look at it which could potentially make the image look worse.

I am thinking I would be better off going with the more mainstream type of monitor so that way when people view my art/websites online they look just like I intended them to look.
Different panels will be off by different amounts. You should ideally work to the best quality you can, and then factor in some people won't see it exactly as you do.

There will always be someone on a projector that can't display colours well, or even a kindle that is Black and White. The best bet is to design it with the best quality you can, then purposefully degrade it and check it's still good even when not displayed exactly as you planned.
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
Different panels will be off by different amounts. You should ideally work to the best quality you can, and then factor in some people won't see it exactly as you do.

There will always be someone on a projector that can't display colours well, or even a kindle that is Black and White. The best bet is to design it with the best quality you can, then purposefully degrade it and check it's still good even when not displayed exactly as you planned.
Yeah so then what would be the point? If I am just going to have to degrade it back to what I would get on a lesser-quality monitor then why not just have a lesser quality monitor to work with in the first place?

I can understand wanting to have the "best quality possible" but if nobody else can see the same quality you see when you are working on it then what is the use?
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
Yeah so then what would be the point? If I am just going to have to degrade it back to what I would get on a lesser-quality monitor then why not just have a lesser quality monitor to work with in the first place?

I can understand wanting to have the "best quality possible" but if nobody else can see the same quality you see when you are working on it then what is the use?
well, a lower quality panel will be worse in different ways. Yours might have lower contrast, another might not be bright enough, etc...

I'd say that for web design, it's probably not necesary. It's generally only when you are having your work printed (with proper industrial printers) that you need to care that much, otherwise, you are right, there isn't any great gain to seeing it that little bit more accurately.

tl;dr: If you want it, go for it. It won't affect what you do that much, might be a nicer experience though.
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
So I am trying to justify buying an IPS panel for graphic/web
stop rationalizing. you know you want one, if you have the means just get one. who cares if others cant see EXACLY what color you were trying to produce? you will know they are accurate to your liking. its all about you.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GA-P67A-UD7-B3 EVGA GTX470 SLI 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 64GB + 150GB Raptor 30" 3007WFP-HC + 20" 2007FP Portait (3760x1600) Realforce 87u 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 LIAN LI MX-518 QCK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GA-P67A-UD7-B3 EVGA GTX470 SLI 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 64GB + 150GB Raptor 30" 3007WFP-HC + 20" 2007FP Portait (3760x1600) Realforce 87u 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 LIAN LI MX-518 QCK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 15
Given LCD prices you could have both? I am going to use a TV as monitor, you can get one of those too!!!
White Whisper II
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k 4ghz Stock or 4.6 2133 or -HT 4.7 2133 ASUS Z97-PRO non sold my 970 Kingston fury 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 evo  Noctura D14 Windows 7 Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS 1920x1200 
MonitorPowerCase
Benq GW2760hs 1080p VA Corsair RM850 Fractal define R4 
  hide details  
Reply
White Whisper II
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k 4ghz Stock or 4.6 2133 or -HT 4.7 2133 ASUS Z97-PRO non sold my 970 Kingston fury 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 evo  Noctura D14 Windows 7 Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS 1920x1200 
MonitorPowerCase
Benq GW2760hs 1080p VA Corsair RM850 Fractal define R4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees View Post
stop rationalizing. you know you want one, if you have the means just get one. who cares if others cant see EXACLY what color you were trying to produce? you will know they are accurate to your liking. its all about you.
Well not really, because for web design a more appealing design will attract more people than something that looks wrong.

I don't know how different the monitors are in their color displays but if they are fairly close then it shouldn't be a big deal... however if IPS panels are very different than your typical LCD's then something I make on my screen may look hideous on a traditional monitor that most users will have.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
Well not really, because for web design a more appealing design will attract more people than something that looks wrong.

I don't know how different the monitors are in their color displays but if they are fairly close then it shouldn't be a big deal... however if IPS panels are very different than your typical LCD's then something I make on my screen may look hideous on a traditional monitor that most users will have.
this is not the case... it will just look "better" on your screen. the only way it would be night and day is if either your monitors calibration is wayyyyy off when you design the art, or the end users monitors calibration is wayyyy off.

btw, i am guessing you designed your avatar? looks sick.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GA-P67A-UD7-B3 EVGA GTX470 SLI 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 64GB + 150GB Raptor 30" 3007WFP-HC + 20" 2007FP Portait (3760x1600) Realforce 87u 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 LIAN LI MX-518 QCK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K GA-P67A-UD7-B3 EVGA GTX470 SLI 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
C300 64GB + 150GB Raptor 30" 3007WFP-HC + 20" 2007FP Portait (3760x1600) Realforce 87u 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 LIAN LI MX-518 QCK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 15
There are different degrees of "low quality".
Also, don't forget those who are still on CRTs. A properly calibrated CRT has wonderful colour reproduction.

Just do your work in the highest quality possible so you have all your bases covered.
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 15
@semper fidelis Have you decided on your monitor?
I was thinking of an ips for web development too.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2800+ @1.94GHz ASUS K8N 5500 128mb 64bit 2x512ddr 400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 80gb Pioneer 112 XP Pro Samsung crt 997DF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5000 Cheiftec 300W ATX BullSH*T Logitech MX1000 
Mouse Pad
Stock 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 2800+ @1.94GHz ASUS K8N 5500 128mb 64bit 2x512ddr 400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 80gb Pioneer 112 XP Pro Samsung crt 997DF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5000 Cheiftec 300W ATX BullSH*T Logitech MX1000 
Mouse Pad
Stock 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › A question to IPS panel owners.