Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha
Still waiting for proof that the brain can calculate millions of decimals of pi in seconds
Oh dear god, you obviously have no idea how the brain works. You seriously have NO idea do you? Have you even been paying attention to what I've been trying to say?
Conscious thought < Brain power
I seriously don't know how you can't comprehend this. In fact, you can't even compare conscious activity to brain power, considering the amount of energy the brain has to expel just do do the following:
1) Engage in self awareness, creating the ability to view the world independently as a being that can perceive and interact.
2) Interact with the world, or environment, in a way to understand patterns and symbols.
3) Interact symbolically in ways so that it can (sub points)
a) Create language
b) Use language with other independent being (consciousness)
1) Take that language and convert it into ANOTHER language (Read/Write into MATH)
2) Use that language to form complex forms of that language (complex equations)
3) Solve the complex equations
c) Relate that new information into a way so that the other consciousness can understand
Besides doing the above, the mind has to:
1) Sustain the organism, so that it's body functions are active and moving keeping it alive
2) Be aware of it's surroundings, so that any change can be easily adapted to (more survival)
I could go on and on, making a huge list of what the brain has to do on a continuous basis. Some of these scenarios are so advanced that a computer at the moment can't possibly do them, period. A computer has to run the OS, yes, but given that the general "OS" of conscious thought has to do exceedingly more makes this difficult to compare. Not to mention that a computer can "halt" it's "OS" in a way as to put all of it's resources into simply solving an equation. Unless it's told otherwise <---=KEY PART=- it can't convert that number into anything that can easily be translated. It also can't convert and tell us, unless told otherwise, how to get to that equation. It's a very basic switchboard, and at the moment we can't "emulate" the brain or consciousness because of this simplicity. It's just too hard.
No, the brain can't compute PI that quick. But given the circumstances of things it has to monitor, the things it has to be able to do just to interact on a conscious level, it's one ******* amazing piece of work.