Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › some questions about MODs - please help me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

some questions about MODs - please help me

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi

I'm used to look for mod through Steam, Desura and moddb.com.
Where do you usually look for yours ?

In addiction wich are the mods most succesfull mods in history and wich one are the ones that made it and became full games ???? (I'm thinking about team fortress, counter-strike, gunman, ecc.ecc.).

Which mods have you played or you're playing and have impressed you ?
Which are the games that have been modded the most ? (I'm thinking about quake III, unreal tournament, morrowind, oblivion, half-life 2, ?????)

Why do you whink developers or people decide to make a mod ??
Is "mod" the short way to say modification ?

Please help me, every answer will be truly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
1. I usually look for mods through google and theres usually a few fan websites where mods are developed and discussed.
2. Counter Strike is without argument the most succesful mod to date
3. People make mods for numerous reasons I guess some of the most popular reasons are to improve gameplay, improve graphics and fix bugs when developers stop supporting the game.
4. Yes mod is short for modification
PC
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus Maximus VI Extreme MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning LE MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Samsung 840 Evo Crucial M4  Transcend SSD370 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H110i GT Windows 10 Professional x64 Benq XL2730Z CM Storm Quick Fire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1000W Be Quiet! Power Zone CM Storm Stryker Coolermaster Xornet II Steelseries Qck Heavy 
AudioAudioOther
FiiO E10K Headphone Amplifier and DAC  Sennheiser HD598 HTC Vive VR 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus Maximus VI Extreme MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning LE MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Samsung 840 Evo Crucial M4  Transcend SSD370 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H110i GT Windows 10 Professional x64 Benq XL2730Z CM Storm Quick Fire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
1000W Be Quiet! Power Zone CM Storm Stryker Coolermaster Xornet II Steelseries Qck Heavy 
AudioAudioOther
FiiO E10K Headphone Amplifier and DAC  Sennheiser HD598 HTC Vive VR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashric View Post
1. I usually look for mods through google and theres usually a few fan websites where mods are developed and discussed.
2. Counter Strike is without argument the most succesful mod to date
3. People make mods for numerous reasons I guess some of the most popular reasons are to improve gameplay, improve graphics and fix bugs when developers stop supporting the game.
4. Yes mod is short for modification
thank you man !!! keep up the suggestions
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctekcop View Post
Hi

I'm used to look for mod through Steam, Desura and moddb.com.
Where do you usually look for yours ?

In addiction wich are the mods most succesfull mods in history and wich one are the ones that made it and became full games ???? (I'm thinking about team fortress, counter-strike, gunman, ecc.ecc.).

Which mods have you played or you're playing and have impressed you ?
Which are the games that have been modded the most ? (I'm thinking about quake III, unreal tournament, morrowind, oblivion, half-life 2, ?????)

Why do you whink developers or people decide to make a mod ??
Is "mod" the short way to say modification ?

Please help me, every answer will be truly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
The place to find mods depends on the game. For HL2 mods, and misc, I'd say moddb is the best place. Fallout 3, falloutnexus, crysis, mycrysis/moddb, Stalker, moddb.

You named most of the mods that made it big as standalone games. However, quite a few indie games started as mods, or the team started modding then went indie. Or in the case of a few, like Minerva, the guy made a great mod and then was offered a job by Valve. There are more metrics of success modding than just mods that went indie or bought by companies.

Again, some games end up producing certain types of mods. FO3 and stalker, for instance, the vast majority of the mods tweak gameplay of the main story. Where HL2 mods are usually a new story/ completely reworked gameplay.

Developers don't make mods, they make games and need to sell in order to pay their employees. Mod teams and individual modders do it for a variety of reasons. Some for fun, to learn something new; some to hone their already considerably programming/etc skills during/after a related college major, some to put on a resume to get a job in the industry.

If you're looking for good mods, take a look at my sig. It's mostly HL2 stuff, with a dash of other mods.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
x5670 ASUS P6T Evga GTX970 Corsair Vengeance 12GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SG 500gb 7200.12 OS, WD 640 GB, SG 3 TB Windows 7 Professional x64 Acer G257HU 1440p Logitech G15 
PowerCase
PCP&C Silencer 610 Cooler Master 690 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
x5670 ASUS P6T Evga GTX970 Corsair Vengeance 12GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SG 500gb 7200.12 OS, WD 640 GB, SG 3 TB Windows 7 Professional x64 Acer G257HU 1440p Logitech G15 
PowerCase
PCP&C Silencer 610 Cooler Master 690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
I find a fansite or three dedicated to modding that particular game. For Fallout, I use the Nexus(They have a site for both 3 and New Vegas). For Garry's Mod, I have Gmod.org. For GTA, I have a few GTA fansites I circle looking for cool stuff.
Boot to the Head!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ stock Epox 9NPA+SLI XFX 8800GS 384 4x1GB G.Skill DDR400 @ stock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB WD + 1TB WD GP + 320GB WD AAJS Mystery DVD-RW Vista Ultimate x64! ViewSonic P220F CRT + KDS 15" CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$3 Compaq keyboard with pretty aluminum finish ThermalTake PurePower 500W Rosewill R230-P-BK Wired Optical 
Mouse Pad
Table. Mouse pads are overrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Boot to the Head!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ stock Epox 9NPA+SLI XFX 8800GS 384 4x1GB G.Skill DDR400 @ stock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB WD + 1TB WD GP + 320GB WD AAJS Mystery DVD-RW Vista Ultimate x64! ViewSonic P220F CRT + KDS 15" CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$3 Compaq keyboard with pretty aluminum finish ThermalTake PurePower 500W Rosewill R230-P-BK Wired Optical 
Mouse Pad
Table. Mouse pads are overrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry, but who made Gmod ??? can we say it's truly a mod or a game itself or something more than a game ??????

plus what can you tell me about rts ??? I've been seeing some mods for WarcraftIII,Company of heroes, older C&C, Nexus........
Edited by Ctekcop - 2/12/11 at 5:41pm
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
I know GTA series like Vice city and San Andreas have ton of mods, especially SA. GTAgarage is a good place to find mods for gta games... I've never played the original vice city, I had a fully modded version called vice city delux. It was awsome.
Edited by chuxanator - 2/12/11 at 6:07pm
Money Waster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 3.2GHz BE GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H GIGABYTE HD 6870 1GB G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Windows 7 64bit 22" LG Coolmax 600W 
Case
Antec 
  hide details  
Reply
Money Waster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 3.2GHz BE GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H GIGABYTE HD 6870 1GB G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Windows 7 64bit 22" LG Coolmax 600W 
Case
Antec 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctekcop View Post
I'm sorry, but who made Gmod ??? can we say it's truly a mod or a game itself or something more than a game ??????
It's all of the above. It is a physics sandbox mod based on Half Life 2, although all it takes from HL2 is the engine and the models. It is extremely easy to mod, with various model packs, scripts, gamemodes, maps, etc etc available for it.


Gmod.org was set up to handle all the mods, since Garry knew people would be making a lot of user-made stuff for Gmod.
Boot to the Head!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ stock Epox 9NPA+SLI XFX 8800GS 384 4x1GB G.Skill DDR400 @ stock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB WD + 1TB WD GP + 320GB WD AAJS Mystery DVD-RW Vista Ultimate x64! ViewSonic P220F CRT + KDS 15" CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$3 Compaq keyboard with pretty aluminum finish ThermalTake PurePower 500W Rosewill R230-P-BK Wired Optical 
Mouse Pad
Table. Mouse pads are overrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Boot to the Head!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon64 X2 4200+ @ stock Epox 9NPA+SLI XFX 8800GS 384 4x1GB G.Skill DDR400 @ stock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB WD + 1TB WD GP + 320GB WD AAJS Mystery DVD-RW Vista Ultimate x64! ViewSonic P220F CRT + KDS 15" CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
$3 Compaq keyboard with pretty aluminum finish ThermalTake PurePower 500W Rosewill R230-P-BK Wired Optical 
Mouse Pad
Table. Mouse pads are overrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Off the top of my head, some mods that made it into being full games:

Counter-Strike (HL1)
Day of Defeat (HL1)
Counter-Strike Source Zombie Mod (loosely, in the form of Left 4 Dead)
Killing Floor (UT2004)
Red Orchestra (UT2004)
The Ball (UT3)
Alien Swarm (HL2)
Team Fortress (Quake)
DOTA (Warcraft 3; derivatives in the form of League of Legends, and DOTA 2 by Valve)
Natural Selection (HL1; the team has grouped into an actual company to make NS2)
Garry's Mod (HL2)
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
It's all of the above. It is a physics sandbox mod based on Half Life 2, although all it takes from HL2 is the engine and the models. It is extremely easy to mod, with various model packs, scripts, gamemodes, maps, etc etc available for it.


Gmod.org was set up to handle all the mods, since Garry knew people would be making a lot of user-made stuff for Gmod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Off the top of my head, some mods that made it into being full games:

Counter-Strike (HL1)
Day of Defeat (HL1)
Counter-Strike Source Zombie Mod (loosely, in the form of Left 4 Dead)
Killing Floor (UT2004)
Red Orchestra (UT2004)
The Ball (UT3)
Alien Swarm (HL2)
Team Fortress (Quake)
DOTA (Warcraft 3; derivatives in the form of League of Legends, and DOTA 2 by Valve)
Natural Selection (HL1; the team has grouped into an actual company to make NS2)
Garry's Mod (HL2)
Thank you !!!
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2100 MSI P67-GD65 Gigabyte HD 5830 6gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500gb Samsung 830 64gb WD Green 3tb Coolermaster 412s 
PowerCase
Corsair HX520 Dimastech Bench TAble Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › some questions about MODs - please help me