Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ZDNet] Intel to begin shipping updated Sandy Point chipsets Feb 14th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ZDNet] Intel to begin shipping updated Sandy Point chipsets Feb 14th - Page 3

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist86 View Post
Makes me wonder though if they were in such a hurry that they didn't do a proper job and perhaps more problems later. I wonder how much $$$ Intel lost...
Intel has forecast a total loss of $750 million dollars. That includes rmas, fabrication equipment changes, lost revenue, etc. It's actually not that much money. The bad press was much more a kick in the groin than the money.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
Intel has forecast a total loss of $750 million dollars. That includes rmas, fabrication equipment changes, lost revenue, etc. It's actually not that much money. The bad press was much more a kick in the groin than the money.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-cost-chip-fix

Please refer to this link. The financial loss you posted are understated.
post #23 of 31
Cougar Point + Sandy Bridge = Sandy Point?

Well then that makes sense that Intel will be shipping something that doesn't exist almost a month ahead of schedule.
post #24 of 31
Intel is made of money, Cougar Point recall is no big deal for them, but it is embarrassing.

If AMD is ever in danger of going bankrupt Intel will just feed them money to keep them alive. Intel wants to avoid becoming a monopoly and getting in antitrust trouble.

Nvidia's cartoons put it best:
Nehalem
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.3GHz Evga X58 3SLI 2X SLI Evga GTX 275 FTWs 756/1620/1296 6GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz 78720591T 
Hard DriveMonitorPower
OCZ Vertex2 60GB Sony FW900 Corsair 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
Nehalem
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.3GHz Evga X58 3SLI 2X SLI Evga GTX 275 FTWs 756/1620/1296 6GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz 78720591T 
Hard DriveMonitorPower
OCZ Vertex2 60GB Sony FW900 Corsair 850TX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45nm View Post
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-cost-chip-fix

Please refer to this link. The financial loss you posted are understated.
Why are you under the impression that your link is more reliable than those of what's published on Wall Street? I'd take a financial release from Intel to Wall Street any day over your link. Here's a quote if you're not wanting to read it.

"However, management said the total cost of fixing the impact of the chip-design flaw will be about $700 million, in terms of repairing and replacing materials and systems in the market."


https://www.etrade.wallst.com/v1/sto...Type=headlines
Edit: Nevermind, there's another release saying Intel is writing off $700 million this quarter, but another $300 million may be necessary next quarter, so that would make it a billion.
Edit2: For some reason, Etrade won't allow links to individual articles. If you follow the link, you have to look at the second page of headlines to find the releases on Intel.
Edited by sccr64472 - 2/12/11 at 12:26pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
Why are you under the impression that your link is more reliable than those of what's published on Wall Street? I'd take a financial release from Intel to Wall Street any day over your link. Here's a quote if you're not wanting to read it.

"However, management said the total cost of fixing the impact of the chip-design flaw will be about $700 million, in terms of repairing and replacing materials and systems in the market."


https://www.etrade.wallst.com/v1/sto...Type=headlines
Simply put $700 Million USD is one aspect of the recall and the Fiasco that has erupted. This figure of $700 Million USD is also excluding the additional $400 Million USD. Therefore the figure of $700 Million USD is understated because in reality with both $700 Million and $400 Million the total figure is expected to be 1.1$ Billion USD.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk11 View Post

Nvidia's cartoons put it best:
+1

Intel has a market value of 121 billion $ and this 'loss' of 1 billion... It's annoying for intel's rep but they'll get over it.

On the other hand, I really fear for AMD. Executive's leaving and the company is way smaller than intel (6 billion $). I hope bulldozer is as good as it's speculated and they can keep competing with intel. If things are going on like this it doesn't look good for AMD.

If intel becomes monopolist we ,consumers, are f*cked.

And good thing that they new chipsets will release sooner! EVGA P67 Classified, here I come!
Edited by willieboy90 - 2/12/11 at 12:45pm
FORTRESS FT02
(13 items)
 
  
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
  hide details  
Reply
FORTRESS FT02
(13 items)
 
  
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieboy90 View Post
+1

Intel has a market value of 121 billion $ and this 'loss' of 1 billion... It's annoying for intel's rep but they'll get over it.

On the other hand, I really fear for AMD. Executive's leaving and the company is way smaller than intel (6 billion $). I hope bulldozer is as good as it's speculated and they can keep competing with intel. If things are going on like this it doesn't look good for AMD.

If intel becomes monopolist we ,consumers, are f*cked.

And good thing that they new chipsets will release sooner! EVGA P67 Classified, here I come!
There will never be a monopoly from intel, even if AMD went out of business they would just get bought out by someone else.
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by _GTech View Post
It's fixed, trust me I"m a dentist...
What the hell does this have to do with ANYTHING?

Also, it's COUGAR Point, not Sandy Point.
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
What the hell does this have to do with ANYTHING?

Also, it's COUGAR Point, not Sandy Point.
I didn't write the article obviously, that's a pretty gross flaw, if you are in fact correct...

Nevertheless, this discussion could be about how Intel messed up, is going to issue a fix, but then that's neither here nor there...

It could be able how Intel just took a big loss, but that's neither here nor there either..

It could be about how AMD's Bulldozer line up is about to be released, soon after Intel's goof up, which in turn means more losses for Intel because people REALLY want to see what Bulldozer can do, well the smart ones anyway...

It could be about nothing, but whatever this thread/discussion is about, that's for YOU to decide..
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [ZDNet] Intel to begin shipping updated Sandy Point chipsets Feb 14th