Originally Posted by ghettosuperstar
Okay couple of questions.
1. I have a 500+ DVD collection. Should I just ISO the disks with no conversion to keep everything intact? I have 10tb of space to fool with so size is not option here.
2. If I do re-encode what software would I use? For this processing power is not option because I have a 8-core server that sits idle 95% percent of the time. I am looking to convert to MKV as the container with h.264 with ac3 encoding.
3. Any websites or tutorials for setting up the vpn connection? I want to see what you use before I re-utilize my past implementation. Looking for something easier than setting up Server 2008 dns/dhcp/vpn networks. I have a house and a condo that I want to stream back and forth. Eventually I want to stream to my HTC EVO and Samsung Epic phones.
I am asking questions because I do have servers that sitting idle and I could create a NAS across the internet, this would be awesome. You have a amazing setup and you have convinced me for once to use WHS instead of Server 2008.
1. You could do ISO but what I prefer is to rip the actual VIDEO_TS files which is an option with my movies, you could do either.
2. I use handbrake to encode movies into a more portable format, usually AVI or WMV for my creative ZEN vision M or streaming through my VPN..
3. I would just try googling it, I have the knowledge just from being a network tech, you would need to configure windows Server to allow this and it is actually pretty easy. I use LTPP