Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Mkii vs Mkiii
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mkii vs Mkiii

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
What kind of differences am I going to see between these two amps? I have been looking into getting a tube amp, and these seem like good amps for a decent price.

Do you guys think the DAC in my STX is good enough for these amps for now or should I be looking at something different.

I listen to a lot of punk rock, indie rock, local bands (sounds quality varies), country, and classic rock.

I have a pair of A700's but I just picked up some DT880's 600ohms based on a couple reviews I read of their neutral sound.

I am really new at the audiophile thing, but I love music, so I would like to learn more about sound.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
What kind of differences am I going to see between these two amps? I have been looking into getting a tube amp, and these seem like good amps for a decent price.

Do you guys think the DAC in my STX is good enough for these amps for now or should I be looking at something different.

I listen to a lot of punk rock, indie rock, local bands (sounds quality varies), country, and classic rock.

I have a pair of A700's but I just picked up some DT880's 600ohms based on a couple reviews I read of their neutral sound.

I am really new at the audiophile thing, but I love music, so I would like to learn more about sound.
Don't do it for the A700's. The STX amp is overkill for those lol. I'd say buy a better DAC if you're going to get anything. Unless you really can't power the beyers with the STX amp.

What are you trying to learn about? SS amps have lower distortion ?
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoey1500 View Post
Don't do it for the A700's. The STX amp is overkill for those lol. I'd say buy a better DAC if you're going to get anything. Unless you really can't power the beyers with the STX amp.

What are you trying to learn about? SS amps have lower distortion ?
Right I have figured out the A700's are fine for what I have at the moment. I was talking about the DT880's.

And you say a better DAC but from what I have read the DAC in the STX is a good one. Can you elaborate? I have also read there is a difference between tube and cap amps, so I wanted to try a tube amp and the LD's looked like good entry level ones.
Edited by Segovax - 2/13/11 at 12:51am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
Right I have figured out the A700's are fine for what I have at the moment. I was talking about the DT880's.

And you say a better DAC but from what I have read the DAC in the STX is a good one. Can you elaborate?
Hm. My point is that most people overemphasize the importance of an amp. In reality headphone amps are only needed for headphones that are very hard to drive. Usually people just getting into audio stuff want to buy all the cool gear even though they're 32ohm headphones don't need an amp.

/slightly off topic

Basically, DAC is more important, and IIRC the STX amp is pretty powerful. TBH I wouldn't bother with a better amp unless you think the stx amp isn't able to drive the beyers well enough.

Yes, the STX has a very good DAC. My point is the headphones and the source will have more of an impact on sound quality than the amp. Those should be your priority if you want better sound. If you're happy with it, no need to buy an amp .

*edit* Just saw your edit. The 'tube' sound people describe to put it bluntly comes from distortion. Electric guitars sound good when distortion is introduced, but it changes the sound. The problem is headphones aren't a musical instrument. The goal is to reproduce the sound as accurately as possible. In that case distortion is bad. And yes, people will debate me on this, personal preference or whatever. If you're looking to hear the music like it's supposed to sound distortion is not good. Sure, if you add a little distortion to your metal it might sound good, but that's not how it was produced to sound however slight the difference is.

That pretty much describes my opinion. Flat response, lowest possible distortion. Hear it like it's supposed to be .
Edited by drjoey1500 - 2/13/11 at 1:05am
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoey1500 View Post
Hm. My point is that most people overemphasize the importance of an amp. In reality headphone amps are only needed for headphones that are very hard to drive. Usually people just getting into audio stuff want to buy all the cool gear even though they're 32ohm headphones don't need an amp.

/slightly off topic

Basically, DAC is more important, and IIRC the STX amp is pretty powerful. TBH I wouldn't bother with a better amp unless you think the stx amp isn't able to drive the beyers well enough.

Yes, the STX has a very good DAC. My point is the headphones and the source will have more of an impact on sound quality than the amp. Those should be your priority if you want better sound. If you're happy with it, no need to buy an amp .
Got it, thank you. I will test out the DT's then; how will I know if I need more power to drive them? Will it be obvious or will it be more like I need to test it out?

The amp on the STX says it can power up to 600 ohms headphones, so it should be ok, but I guess another question I have is the difference between cap and tube amps?
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax View Post
Got it, thank you. I will test out the DT's then; how will I know if I need more power to drive them? Will it be obvious or will it be more like I need to test it out?

The amp on the STX says it can power up to 600 ohms headphones, so it should be ok, but I guess another question I have is the difference between cap and tube amps?
The biggest indicator will be they don't get loud enough. That is the whole point of an amp. In some cases there won't be as much bass or something to that effect but I may be wrong on that.

The main types of amps are solid state, tube, and hybrid.

I can go into more detail if you want, but later. I'm going to sleep now .
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
Reborn Legacy
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.1 Ghz Foxconn Bloodrage 2 x OEM 5870 OCZ Platinum 6GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 2 x Caviar Black (RAID 0) Samsung SH-S223L Prolimatech Megahalems 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Delta AFC1212DE 5 x Coolermaster R4 (red LED) Windows 7 Pro Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW223T Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 710s Leopold FC200RT/KB (tactile touch with blank keys) Corsair TX850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Reborn Legacy (mod) Razer Deathadder Rocketfish Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
AudioAudioAudio
M-Audio MobilePre M-Audio BX5a Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
I'm getting the Essence ST today and also have a LD MKIII over here. I'll be interesting to see if the built-in amp is not far away from the MK's one.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 asus p67 580 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2tb dvd Windows 7 big one 
PowerCase
1000w weighs a ton 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 asus p67 580 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2tb dvd Windows 7 big one 
PowerCase
1000w weighs a ton 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan†e View Post
I'm getting the Essence ST today and also have a LD MKIII over here. I'll be interesting to see if the built-in amp is not far away from the MK's one.
Please do some testing and let us know!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Mkii vs Mkiii