Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Painting the ENTIRE Screw?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Painting the ENTIRE Screw?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I had to buy a bunch of screws today for my fans and from what it looks like right now, the entire screw will be visible.

I have some Krylon paint downstairs and usually I put painters tape on all of the screw necks and then just paint the head.

In this case I am thinking of doing the entire screw. Would I run into any problems with this?

Keep in mind: THE SCREW WILL NOT ACTUALLY BE SCREWED IN. IT WILL BE HELD BY A NUT.

Thanks so much all!
post #2 of 10
Yeah it will. Why bother if you can't see it? Just paint the head.
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
I myself can't seen an issue.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
I had to buy a bunch of screws today for my fans and from what it looks like right now, the entire screw will be visible.

I have some Krylon paint downstairs and usually I put painters tape on all of the screw necks and then just paint the head.

In this case I am thinking of doing the entire screw. Would I run into any problems with this?

Keep in mind: THE SCREW WILL NOT ACTUALLY BE SCREWED IN. IT WILL BE HELD BY A NUT.

Thanks so much all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
Yeah it will. Why bother if you can't see it? Just paint the head.
riiight
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
Yeah it will. Why bother if you can't see it? Just paint the head.
You WILL be able to see it. That's why this time I am debating the entire screw. And since it won't be screwed in, the paint on the grooves won't cause any issues except perhaps on the 3mm where the nut has to go in which case I will either strip the paint there or just force it on.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
You WILL be able to see it. That's why this time I am debating the entire screw. And since it won't be screwed in, the paint on the grooves won't cause any issues except perhaps on the 3mm where the nut has to go in which case I will either strip the paint there or just force it on.
There's a reason why they anodize screws to make them black, and it's because painting them causes issues, getting it on won't be the problem, but taking it off in 3 months time will be.

Why are you arguing in a thread in which you asked for advice? If you want to do it just do it, no need to ask here first, you asked so I gave you my opinion.
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Iron Giant
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X Mushkin Silverline 3x4GB 1333MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung F3 Samsung F3 Western Digital Raptor Crucial M4 128GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony DRU-87S Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer X243HQBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Seasonic X650 Lian Li Lancool K62 Zowie AM MS 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Edirol MA-7A speakers. Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
There's a reason why they anodize screws to make them black, and it's because painting them causes issues, getting it on won't be the problem, but taking it off in 3 months time will be.

Why are you arguing in a thread in which you asked for advice? If you want to do it just do it, no need to ask here first, you asked so I gave you my opinion.
I'm not arguing.

You made a point without backing it up with any evidence. That's called an opinion. I would rather have a reason WHY, which you just provided, I shouldn't do it.
post #8 of 10
Hmm. What kind of fan are you using, and where will they fastened to be so visible?

Fans like Yate Loons and Gentle Typhoons have closed corners. They are designed for industry: you can put the screw through more quickly with the screw path encased in a groove or tunnel.

Since you seem to be using pass-through machine screws rather than self-tapping fan screws you may wish to consider going with closed corner fans.
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
I'm not arguing.

You made a point without backing it up with any evidence. That's called an opinion. I would rather have a reason WHY, which you just provided, I shouldn't do it.
It seems as every thread you open you try to spark an argument.

If you paint the ENTIRE thing, paint will cover the threads and it MAY be more difficult to get the nut on/off.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon w3680 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R GTX 295 Engineering Samples 2X Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD Seagate Corsair H50 W7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Viewsonic VA1912wb Viewsonic VA912b K350 CM HAF 
Mouse
Logitech M570 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon w3680 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R GTX 295 Engineering Samples 2X Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD Seagate Corsair H50 W7 Ult 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Viewsonic VA1912wb Viewsonic VA912b K350 CM HAF 
Mouse
Logitech M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post
It seems as every thread you open you try to spark an argument.

If you paint the ENTIRE thing, paint will cover the threads and it MAY be more difficult to get the nut on/off.
Well you see if I just sat back and didn't comment, I would never learn anything. Better to ask questions, I would think.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Painting the ENTIRE Screw?