Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Simple routing problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Simple routing problem - Page 3

post #21 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX View Post
DHCP automatically assigns addresses, they can only be connected into one router and a bridge would allow communication between the routers. So all you have to do is set one router to assign addresses 192.168.0.0/24 and one to assign addresses 192.168.1.0/24
It's really pretty simple
Yes, the problem is how does each host know which adress pool to take the adress from? How would a host in apartment A know that it should take an IP from Router A if there are 2 DHCP servers on the network? If I use a bridge the 2 networks become one, with one broadcast domain. I do not want to achieve this.
Edited by tomaskir - 2/14/11 at 8:47am
post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaskir View Post
Yes, the problem is how does each host know which adress pool to take the adress from? How would a host in apartment A know that it should take an IP from Router A if there are 2 DHCP servers on the network? If I use a bridge the 2 networks become one, with one broadcast domain. I do not want to achieve this.
you have the bridge idea all wrong, not all data sent out over the network A will be sent over network B. The bridge will only send relevant data to netowrk B. There will be only one DHCP server per network. Trust me, I am Network+ certified and do this stuff part time for a Fortune 500 company
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX View Post
you have the bridge idea all wrong, not all data sent out over the network A will be sent over network B. The bridge will only send relevant data to netowrk B. There will be only one DHCP server per network. Trust me, I am Network+ certified and do this stuff part time for a Fortune 500 company
Can you please link one on newegg or give me a idea of what I should be looking for to buy? Tried looking online for it, didnt find, only found wireless bridges.
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaskir View Post
Can you please link one on newegg or give me a idea of what I should be looking for to buy? Tried looking online for it, didnt find, only found wireless bridges.
honestly you probably can't afford one as they usually require fiber inputs and cost ~$1000.
You can however take an old PC with multiple NICs and configure it within windows to act as a network bridge. there are guides for this all over the web
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX View Post
won't work without a network bridge
What is the Christ hell are you smoking??? This isn't the 1980s' and 90's. There is no need for a "hardware" bridge.

He has 3 routers, proper routing and he is set to go. If he is wanting to load balance the internet connections he would need a heavy routing protocol, such as BGP.
Tho he has stated he just wants one priv network to communicate with the other priv. Each priv network would have their own independent default route.

Dam good thing your not on of my LAN Admins, cause you would have your TACACS+ priv removed so dam fast your head would spin.
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratas View Post
What is the Christ hell are you smoking??? This isn't the 1980s' and 90's. There is no need for a "hardware" bridge.

He has 3 routers, proper routing and he is set to go. If he is wanting to load balance the internet connections he would need a heavy routing protocol, such as BGP.
Tho he has stated he just wants one priv network to communicate with the other priv. Each priv network would have their own independent default route.

Dam good thing your not on of my LAN Admins, cause you would have your TACACS+ priv removed so dam fast your head would spin.
I agree that proper routing would allow this but I get the feeling that his routers are linksys, d-link, and netgear consumer models which lack the proper protocols. I dont use hardware bridges at work, but he doesnt have much other choice if I am correct
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratas View Post
What is the Christ hell are you smoking??? This isn't the 1980s' and 90's. There is no need for a "hardware" bridge.

He has 3 routers, proper routing and he is set to go. If he is wanting to load balance the internet connections he would need a heavy routing protocol, such as BGP.
Tho he has stated he just wants one priv network to communicate with the other priv. Each priv network would have their own independent default route.

Dam good thing your not on of my LAN Admins, cause you would have your TACACS+ priv removed so dam fast your head would spin.
Help me out here real fast pls. I have the static routes I mentioned in the OP configured on Router A and Router C.

Do i still need to configure Router B in any way? I think I do, but i have no clue how to do that.
Edited by tomaskir - 2/14/11 at 9:26am
post #28 of 59
Even with linksys, d-link or netgear "home based routers" if he is just wanting to have the 192 subnet communicate with the 10 subnet a simple static route on each device would do the trick.
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratas View Post
Even with linksys, d-link or netgear "home based routers" if he is just wanting to have the 192 subnet communicate with the 10 subnet a simple static route on each device would do the trick.
this totally depends on the "router" in question.
in any case I am still lost on what his intentions are.
If this is two homes he still needs some intermediary, whether cable or bridge (could just be a laptop with WiFi and ethernet for all I care)
If this is an apartment building, why use multiple routers at all, a single 1.0Gbit router would do what he needs and he just just set up one IP pool
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ (for now) MSI P67A-GD65 BFG GTX 260 OC SLI 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133 CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Barracuda 320GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB, Barracuda 1.5TB Sony Optiarc BD-ROM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2311x 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell L100 In Win Commander 1200W RV02B-EW Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX View Post
this totally depends on the "router" in question.
in any case I am still lost on what his intentions are.
If this is two homes he still needs some intermediary, whether cable or bridge (could just be a laptop with WiFi and ethernet for all I care)
If this is an apartment building, why use multiple routers at all, a single 1.0Gbit router would do what he needs and he just just set up one IP pool
Go and re-read all my posts in this threat. I think everyone except you understands what im trying to do...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › Simple routing problem