Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 5850 vs 6870
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5850 vs 6870 - Page 2

post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by entiquity;12397771 
It's not so much of a crossfire when I can, it's more of a when I make this order in a couple of days, I am crossfiring now.

Certainly seeming like the 6870 is starting to win out overall though.

You'd be better off buying one card than two. If you have the money, spend it on a 570/580 or 6950 2GB (and unlock it).
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 
I have never honestly been too much of a fan of Sapphire. I have used their cards in the past with a less then perfect track record. Recently i have become a fairly large fan of XFX and I noticed they have a couple versions of the 6870 out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150521
The "standard" edition

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150507
The "black" edition

The differences being, the black edition has a 40MHz fast core clock and a 100MHz faster mem clock. Worth the 40 bucks or do you think it would be just as easy to oc the standard edition to those rates or higher?
Eclipse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Gigabyte M61SME-S2 Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256bit STT 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 640GB Sata NEC DVD RW drive Windows XP SP 3 Sceptre X226W-1920 21.5in 
KeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Razer Lycosa Razer Mamba Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
Eclipse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Gigabyte M61SME-S2 Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256bit STT 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 640GB Sata NEC DVD RW drive Windows XP SP 3 Sceptre X226W-1920 21.5in 
KeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Razer Lycosa Razer Mamba Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisischuck01 View Post
You'd be better off buying one card than two. If you have the money, spend it on a 570/580 or 6950 2GB (and unlock it).
Ah another suggestion! This is fabulous. So you say I should just get one of the above mention cards vs 2. Why? Why should I pick up one of those cards versus getting 2 cards that are nice and cross firing?

Edit: (No i am not trying to be an ass, i really do think it's great that you offered another suggestion. I am all for getting the best bang for my buck.)
Edited by entiquity - 2/15/11 at 1:58pm
Eclipse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Gigabyte M61SME-S2 Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256bit STT 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 640GB Sata NEC DVD RW drive Windows XP SP 3 Sceptre X226W-1920 21.5in 
KeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Razer Lycosa Razer Mamba Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
Eclipse
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Gigabyte M61SME-S2 Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256bit STT 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 640GB Sata NEC DVD RW drive Windows XP SP 3 Sceptre X226W-1920 21.5in 
KeyboardMouseMouse Pad
Razer Lycosa Razer Mamba Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by entiquity View Post
Ah another suggestion! This is fabulous. So you say I should just get one of the above mention cards vs 2. Why? Why should I pick up one of those cards versus getting 2 cards that are nice and cross firing?

Edit: (No i am not trying to be an ass, i really do think it's great that you offered another suggestion. I am all for getting the best bang for my buck.)
I didn't think you were.

Personally, I believe that a 6950/6970 2GB or GTX 570 would suit you just fine. When you buy two cards at the offset, you have little room to upgrade without selling both cards (and losing quite a bit of money in the process). Buying one higher-end card rather than two mid-grade cards will allow you to have an easy upgrade route, as you can grab another card when prices go down (as they inevitably will) for Crossfire/SLI.

Two cards 6870s may perform better than one 6950/6970 2GB or GTX 570, but if you look at the situation in the long run you can get a much better setup at a similar price.


For example, the 5850.
The 5850 was and still is a great higher-end card, and two in Crossfire is still a fantastic setup.

If you had bought one 5850 last year and added a second one for Crossfire this year:
Last Year: ~$225+ each
This Year: ~$175+ each
Total: $225+$175=$400

If you had bought two 5770s last year:
Last Year: ~$175 each
Total: $175+$175=$325

Nearly double the power (5850 OC'd=5870 Stock/2x 5770s Stock=5870 OC'd), only $75 more. Plus, if you realized that you needed/wanted something more powerful than the 5770's during the year, you would have to sell both at around $125-$150 each (losing $50-$100 total).

Just my

Edit: Prices are estimates. Don't kill me because I'm $25 off or something.
Edited by thisischuck01 - 2/15/11 at 3:24pm
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 37
agree w/ previous. single card makes more sense. less driver bugs, no microstuttering, generally higher min frames because of the increased bus size that comes with more expensive cards. if i were you, i would either get a 6950 and unlock it, or a gtx 560 and oc like crazy :3 good luck, and post some benchies when you get them ^_^
copper conundrum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7920@4Ghz 1.38v(c0)HToff asus P6T Deluxe his 5870 @ 1000Mhz 1.3v (WC) 9gb ocz platinum@1528cas7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64gb ocz solid2 (os) w/1tb segate (data) 22x lite-on win7 x64 ulti 24" spectre 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
deck ice (linear) CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX xigmatek utgard g9x 
  hide details  
Reply
copper conundrum
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7920@4Ghz 1.38v(c0)HToff asus P6T Deluxe his 5870 @ 1000Mhz 1.3v (WC) 9gb ocz platinum@1528cas7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64gb ocz solid2 (os) w/1tb segate (data) 22x lite-on win7 x64 ulti 24" spectre 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
deck ice (linear) CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX xigmatek utgard g9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 37
go 6870 for sure.. better for dx11 games.
nzxt phantom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 at 4.1ghz asus p7p55d pro pny gtx 470 sli 8gb of ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64gb ssd and 2tb storage drive dvd windows 7 64 3 philips brilliance 200p 
PowerCase
rocketfish 950watt nzxt phantom white 
  hide details  
Reply
nzxt phantom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 at 4.1ghz asus p7p55d pro pny gtx 470 sli 8gb of ddr3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64gb ssd and 2tb storage drive dvd windows 7 64 3 philips brilliance 200p 
PowerCase
rocketfish 950watt nzxt phantom white 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post
Get the 6870 and crossfire when you can.

The scaling rapes the 5970 and beats out two 5870s.

Myself would get a GTX 560-570 or an AMD 6950 2GB and try an unlock the shaders to make it a 6970.
what he said.defo.
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisischuck01 View Post
I didn't think you were.

Personally, I believe that a 6950/6970 2GB or GTX 570 would suit you just fine. When you buy two cards at the offset, you have little room to upgrade without selling both cards (and losing quite a bit of money in the process). Buying one higher-end card rather than two mid-grade cards will allow you to have an easy upgrade route, as you can grab another card when prices go down (as they inevitably will) for Crossfire/SLI.

Two cards 6870s may perform better than one 6950/6970 2GB or GTX 570, but if you look at the situation in the long run you can get a much better setup at a similar price.


For example, the 5850.
The 5850 was and still is a great higher-end card, and two in Crossfire is still a fantastic setup.

If you had bought one 5850 last year and added a second one for Crossfire this year:
Last Year: ~$225+ each
This Year: ~$175+ each
Total: $225+$175=$400

If you had bought two 5770s last year:
Last Year: ~$175 each
Total: $175+$175=$325

Nearly double the power (5850 OC'd=5870 Stock/2x 5770s Stock=5870 OC'd), only $75 more. Plus, if you realized that you needed/wanted something more powerful than the 5770's during the year, you would have to sell both at around $125-$150 each (losing $50-$100 total).

Just my

Edit: Prices are estimates. Don't kill me because I'm $25 off or something.
hmmm more than a bit off on the price estimates of a 5850... at launch of october of 2009...the MSRP of the 5850 reference was 260USD...then it shot up to 300+ dollars about this time a year ago... I think the price of a 5770 was between 175-150 USD(depending on brand and model) a year ago...

Now beyond the price... I think it depends on what the person involved is wanting out of his/her video card...

Personally think for bang for the buck deals...it goes like this...

Currently for high end.. 6950 2GB flashed to unlock shaders... in essence you have a 6970 for 3 monitor gaming without having to do two cards like in SLI and can run most games now on a single monitor(no matter how high the resolution due to vram size)....

For multi gpu ...two 6950s unlocked for the max bang for buck...

For those on a more austere budget...would recommend getting two 460 1GB versions in SLI...the 6950s would do better in a multi monitor setup...while the 460s are the best for single monitor gaming...

For the best single GPU it is up in the air...5970 is still king(but is in essence a dual gpu on a single PCB) or the 580... considering the price of the 5970 ...would most likely recommend the 580...
my temp rig
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gamin GTX1080 Samsung 830 256GB 
CoolingOS
Hyper 212+ EVO Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
my temp rig
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gamin GTX1080 Samsung 830 256GB 
CoolingOS
Hyper 212+ EVO Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by soth7676 View Post
hmmm more than a bit off on the price estimates of a 5850... at launch of october of 2009...the MSRP of the 5850 reference was 260USD...then it shot up to 300+ dollars about this time a year ago... I think the price of a 5770 was between 175-150 USD(depending on brand and model) a year ago...
Eh, relatively bad example, but hopefully the OP still got the gist of what I was suggesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soth7676 View Post
Currently for high end.. 6950 2GB flashed to unlock shaders... in essence you have a 6970 for 3 monitor gaming without having to do two cards like in SLI and can run most games now on a single monitor(no matter how high the resolution due to vram size)....

For multi gpu ...two 6950s unlocked for the max bang for buck...
Like I said, higher-end GPUs are the way to go. I'm pretty sure the OP is going multi-monitor (thus question #2)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soth7676 View Post
For those on a more austere budget...would recommend getting two 460 1GB versions in SLI...the 6950s would do better in a multi monitor setup...while the 460s are the best for single monitor gaming...
Once again, the OP is going with a multi-monitor setup.
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisischuck01 View Post
Like I said, higher-end GPUs are the way to go. I'm pretty sure the OP is going multi-monitor (thus question #2)...



Once again, the OP is going with a multi-monitor setup.
and i have been doing a DUAL monitor set up for a couple of years now.. if one is gaming one one monitor and monitoring temps and such on another monitor..then a 5850 would do him fine... but if he plans to PLAY on more than one monitor at once...more VRAM then 1GB will do him better
my temp rig
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gamin GTX1080 Samsung 830 256GB 
CoolingOS
Hyper 212+ EVO Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
my temp rig
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 6700K Asus Z170 Pro Gamin GTX1080 Samsung 830 256GB 
CoolingOS
Hyper 212+ EVO Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 5850 vs 6870