Overclock.net banner

Overclocking GPU Memory

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  EfemaN 
#1 ·
I remember a review done a while back regarding the performance gains from memory overclocks, but I can't find it for the life of me. If anyone does, I'll owe you one

I never really found myself an answer for this, but how effective are memory OC's? I've heard a good few times that they really don't result in much, but are there facts to back it up? I would assume that it shows greater gains in texture-heavy games or high resolutions, but that's just a semi-educated guess.

I grabbed my GTX 560 last week and got it to a 970 core OC. I just bumped up the memory from 2100 to 2200MHz, for the hell of it. I know the core OC gives better gains, but how does memory compare?

See less See more
#2 ·
depending on the graphics card it can make a difference. As like your GTX560 if it has the same amount of shader cores as one of the 400 series cards but with a bigger memory interface, then ocing the mem SHOULD help quite a bit...I know this used to be the case in older vid cards. Not sure about fermi, I know it helps when it comes to folding tho.

• Rep+
Reactions: EfemaN
#3 ·
OCing the memory doesn't give the same performance increase as the core.
It mostly worth OCing when you play at higher resolutions and/or high AA, where the memory has alot of data transfer to it.
OCing the memory then, will help a bit with it bottle-necking the amount of data it requires.

If you can, use msi afterburner to check the amount of memory the card use. If it reach 1GB, increasing memory clock will help. Not by much, but you can gain a few FPS from it.

#4 ·
best option is to OC your core/shaders as far as you can...

then oc the memory....

that is what i did with my 480s

the memory clock does make a difference once you have oced the rest of it

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

From the looks of it, it'll make a small difference. I'll have to push it some more. I'm running BC2 @ 1080p 16xAA. The max mem usage so far has been about 880 in the past 10 minutes, so I'm thinking a memory OC will be useful.

I know it's fine to increment the core during stress testing, but is it safe to do so with memory as well? I noticed on OCCT that whenever I moved the memory clock around, I'd get a big chunk of errors, but it'd be stable after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgoes2001
View Post

best option is to OC your core/shaders as far as you can...

then oc the memory....

that is what i did with my 480s

the memory clock does make a difference once you have oced the rest of it

That's basically what I was doing, but I hadn't bothered with the memory much. I might as well see what I can pull off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.