Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › How well would an i3 550 @ 4.5GHz hold up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How well would an i3 550 @ 4.5GHz hold up?

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
My X58 motherboard died so I'm building a MicroATX LAN system with a decent MATX Motherboard; wondering how well an i3 at 4.5GHz will hold up in modern games, ideas?
Edited by skarm - 2/16/11 at 3:17am
Marisa
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Marisa
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 58
2 Cores 4 threads. Would hold up really good I would assume
post #3 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarm View Post
My X58 motherboard died so I'm building a MicroATX LAN system with a decent MATX Motherboard; wondering how an well i3 at 4.5GHz will hold up in modern games, ideas?
it and an Athlon II X4 640 trade licks.

Both are still very relevant.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 58
I say that any decent dual core will still hold up in gaming for at least 2 solid years.

Especially when overclocked.

You're good to go.
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
Son of a Bridge
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz | 1.24v Asus P8P67 EVO [B3 Revision] Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 @ 1ghz Core 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500gb 16MB Cache SATA II SATA LG DVD burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer LCD 17" 1280x1024 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX650 Modded regular case X7 X-760H 2000 DPI N@NO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee7283 View Post
it and an Athlon II X4 640 trade licks.

Both are still very relevant.
I was going to get one for a while, unfortunately, the individual cores are too weak to the point where the i3 would absolutely smash it in a small handful of games I often play.
Marisa
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Marisa
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarm View Post
I was going to get one for a while, unfortunately, the individual cores are too weak to the point where the i3 would absolutely smash it in a small handful of games I often play.
an i3 doesnt really smash an X4

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 58
It would get hammered by quads, Clock speed can't make up for lack of physical cores.

The days of dual core gaming are over...
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by antuk15 View Post
It would get hammered by quads, Clock speed can't make up for lack of physical cores.

The days of dual core gaming are over...
Basically it makes no sense to buy an i3 with how cheap quads are getting. i3 makes more sense in notebooks.

Also I have a feeling games will still be encoded for 2 cores for at least the next 3 years. Too many people are on them now and they just got mainstream in like late 2009. The Core 2 Duo is still a good processor.

and it just depends on the technology/architecture of the processor itself

The original Phenoms have 4 physical cores but aren't even close to outperforming an i3 even at stock.

So basically you will see people 2 years from now still rocking an i3 @ 4.5 GHZ but with much more advanced GPU (GTX 780?) Bottleneck would only come into the equation if they wanted to SLI or XFire at that time.
Edited by dlee7283 - 2/16/11 at 5:38am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700 MSI B150 Mortar Artic Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256 Mushkin Triactor Pioneer BR-RW Windows 10 LTSB x64 Seiki 4K 60HZ 42 inch 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee7283 View Post
Basically it makes no sense to buy an i3 with how cheap quads are getting. i3 makes more sense in notebooks.

Also I have a feeling games will still be encoded for 2 cores for at least the next 3 years. Too many people are on them now and they just got mainstream in like late 2009. The Core 2 Duo is still a good processor.

and it just depends on the technology/architecture of the processor itself

The original Phenoms have 4 physical cores but aren't even close to outperforming an i3 even at stock.

So basically you will see people 2 years from now still rocking an i3 @ 4.5 GHZ but with much more advanced GPU (GTX 780?) Bottleneck would only come into the equation if they wanted to SLI or XFire at that time.
Games will still run on dual cores in 3 years time but games that are available TODAY atleast use 3 cores, There's around 10+ games using over 4 cores available NOW and quite a large amount of games use 4 cores already. Dual cores in 2 years time simply will not have the power to drive high end GPU's....

I've been saying it for the last 12 months, Duals cores are dead and proof of this is that AMD and Intel aren't releasing any next generation dual core CPU's, Even they know dual cores are at there end.

Clock speed will only get you so far, Look at the chart :



That little Athlon 2 x3 is faster then an i3, Despite the i3 being at least 10-15% faster per clock. Hyper threading doesn't even help it.

To put it bluntly, Anyone who still thinks dual cores are ok to game on is an idiot
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by antuk15 View Post
Games will still run on dual cores in 3 years time but games that are available TODAY atleast use 3 cores, There's around 10+ games using over 4 cores available NOW and quite a large amount of games use 4 cores already. Dual cores in 2 years time simply will not have the power to drive high end GPU's....

I've been saying it for the last 12 months, Duals cores are dead and proof of this is that AMD and Intel aren't releasing any next generation dual core CPU's, Even they know dual cores are at there end.

Clock speed will only get you so far, Look at the chart :



That little Athlon 2 x3 is faster then an i3, Despite the i3 being at least 10-15% faster per clock. Hyper threading doesn't even help it.

To put it bluntly, Anyone who still thinks dual cores are ok to game on is an idiot
lol, you said clock speed will only take you so far while the i5/i7 rapes the phenom II 970 @ 3.5ghz at stock
Budget Rig V2
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3900 Asus AB350M Pro4 EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2 Hybrid TridentZ RGB 3200-cl14 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD BPX EVGA CLC 280mm Windows 10 Pro Benq PD3200U 
PowerCase
Seasonic Platinum 660 Fractal Design Mini C 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Rig V2
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3900 Asus AB350M Pro4 EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2 Hybrid TridentZ RGB 3200-cl14 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
MyDigitalSSD BPX EVGA CLC 280mm Windows 10 Pro Benq PD3200U 
PowerCase
Seasonic Platinum 660 Fractal Design Mini C 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › How well would an i3 550 @ 4.5GHz hold up?