Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Gpu and north bridge cooling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gpu and north bridge cooling

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Okay so im about to buy some 120mm case fans because the stock ones suck. After that I thought about getting a cpu cooler that would help out my northbridge since my board has nb heating issues. After that I was going to install some cooling for the nb and the gpu. My question here is how do you install them. I don't see how it would work. Especially not with my nb because its different that most.
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
  hide details  
Reply
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
I guess I am not getting what you are saying. Your northbridge isn't different from most. Why do you say it is?

As for the case fans, simply improving case airflow will decrease your northbridge temperature. If you feel the need for a direct spot fan for the northbridge, try sticking a little 60mm fan behind your cpu if you can.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] i7 930, 4.4ghz @ 1.27V [Asus] Rampage III Extreme [Sapphire] 2X 6950's Flashed to 6970's @950/1425 [G.SKILL] Ripjaws X Series 12GB DDR3 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] 2X C300's in Raid0 & [Samsung] 2X 1TB F3 [Hewlett-Packard] DVD-RW [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit [Asus] 3X 23" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsoft] Sidewinder X6 [Kingwin] Lazer LZ-1000 [Xigmatek] Elysium (Being Modded) [Microsoft] Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
[XTrac] Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] i7 930, 4.4ghz @ 1.27V [Asus] Rampage III Extreme [Sapphire] 2X 6950's Flashed to 6970's @950/1425 [G.SKILL] Ripjaws X Series 12GB DDR3 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] 2X C300's in Raid0 & [Samsung] 2X 1TB F3 [Hewlett-Packard] DVD-RW [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit [Asus] 3X 23" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsoft] Sidewinder X6 [Kingwin] Lazer LZ-1000 [Xigmatek] Elysium (Being Modded) [Microsoft] Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
[XTrac] Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyubimark View Post
Okay so im about to buy some 120mm case fans because the stock ones suck. After that I thought about getting a cpu cooler that would help out my northbridge since my board has nb heating issues. After that I was going to install some cooling for the nb and the gpu. My question here is how do you install them. I don't see how it would work. Especially not with my nb because its different that most.
You can w8 for some reviews about AC Freezer 13 PRO....the little fan down there must cool the MB, but.....foe now nobody knows if it works...

"Cooling VRs and Northbridge Components

Utilizing the Cross-Blow technology, the Freezer 13 PRO is equipped with an additional 50 mm PWM-controlled fan at the base of the CPU cooler. This feature is to guide the airflow to cool the Northbridge and voltage regulators. This extra downward blowing fan generates airflow to other chipset parts and thus dramatically lowering the temperature of surrounding components near the CPU."
Lyralei
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770 GA-Z77-D3H R9 280X R9 280X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR 2x4 GB Vengeance DDR3 Corsair Force 3 Kingston Hitachi 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Blue Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Windows 7 Proffesional NEC AccuSync LCD 72VM 
  hide details  
Reply
Lyralei
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3770 GA-Z77-D3H R9 280X R9 280X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR 2x4 GB Vengeance DDR3 Corsair Force 3 Kingston Hitachi 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Blue Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Windows 7 Proffesional NEC AccuSync LCD 72VM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Well I thought the design of the North Bridge was different from most. I didnt see how the heatsinks would fit on top of it. I dont even know how theyre installed. In my case a 120mm fan blows basically right beside it so I think its cooling it a little bit. I also have a 120mm at the bottom of the case in the front but I can feel no airflow at all coming in from in so I thought about getting a better fan and blow the hot air out of the front and bring the cool air in from the back. I know it sounds weird but I need that 120mm fan blowing around my nb.

I cant just sit fans on and around my mobo? they need to be mounted somewhere and case mods is definitely not my calling. Im not qualified to screw something up lol.
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
  hide details  
Reply
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
R2-D2
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... Windows 8.1 Black SAMSUNG SD360 Series S27D360KNB White High Glos... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item... 
Case
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardwolf View Post
You can w8 for some reviews about AC Freezer 13 PRO....the little fan down there must cool the MB, but.....foe now nobody knows if it works...

"Cooling VRs and Northbridge Components

Utilizing the Cross-Blow technology, the Freezer 13 PRO is equipped with an additional 50 mm PWM-controlled fan at the base of the CPU cooler. This feature is to guide the airflow to cool the Northbridge and voltage regulators. This extra downward blowing fan generates airflow to other chipset parts and thus dramatically lowering the temperature of surrounding components near the CPU."
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyubimark View Post
Well I thought the design of the North Bridge was different from most. I didnt see how the heatsinks would fit on top of it. I dont even know how theyre installed. In my case a 120mm fan blows basically right beside it so I think its cooling it a little bit. I also have a 120mm at the bottom of the case in the front but I can feel no airflow at all coming in from in so I thought about getting a better fan and blow the hot air out of the front and bring the cool air in from the back. I know it sounds weird but I need that 120mm fan blowing around my nb.

I cant just sit fans on and around my mobo? they need to be mounted somewhere and case mods is definitely not my calling. Im not qualified to screw something up lol.
I think that you should be fine, after all there are a lot of people that use this board.

If not and your CPU cooler allows it to fit plus you buy a mosfet cooler and another cooler for your South Bridge you could try this>

Noctua NC-U6 but they are discontinued and hard to come by, but they cool like a champ.



Review HERE

but then you want one of these

Thermalright HR-09/s,to cool your mosfets.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Gpu and north bridge cooling