Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › My SFF Gaming rig (with pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My SFF Gaming rig (with pics) - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Well, I hope you're right, hellonwheelz. I just read the first review of a mATX Z68-motherboard, the ASRock Z68 Pro3-M. It managed to get an 2600K up to 4,9ghz. It demanded 1,448 vcore, but this is the cheapest of all mATX Z68-boards. The full size ATX-boards GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H managed over 5ghz on 1,164 vcore.

I would expect the much more expensive Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z to be better than the ASRock. Even if it's not as good as the Z68-UD3H, I would hope it could reach at least over 4,5ghz on 1,2v core, hopefully aproaching 5ghz. With proper, or VERY good cooling, this could be a little monster.
post #22 of 28
Chip selection is key here. You probably want the cpu with the lowest default voltage and an overclock where speedstep etc works flawlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaz;13723812 
Well, I hope you're right, hellonwheelz. I just read the first review of a mATX Z68-motherboard, the ASRock Z68 Pro3-M. It managed to get an 2600K up to 4,9ghz. It demanded 1,448 vcore, but this is the cheapest of all mATX Z68-boards. The full size ATX-boards GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H managed over 5ghz on 1,164 vcore.

I would expect the much more expensive Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z to be better than the ASRock. Even if it's not as good as the Z68-UD3H, I would hope it could reach at least over 4,5ghz on 1,2v core, hopefully aproaching 5ghz. With proper, or VERY good cooling, this could be a little monster.
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz;13724736 
Chip selection is key here. You probably want the cpu with the lowest default voltage and an overclock where speedstep etc works flawlessly.

They've used the same 2600K in those reviews, so the motherboard type will also have great effect on the results. But hey, a great cpu will be an andvantage. It's harder to pick them than a good motherboard, though.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaz;13716559 

Another possibility for builders could be Noctua's new low profile top-down cooler shown at Computex. It's only 91mm high with both fans and only 66mm high with only the lower fan.

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=1025


I was wrong, this new cooler is actually only 120mm broad. The top fan is 120mm, the lower fan is 92mm. If will fit the BK644 well. We'll have to see how it performs. Might not be better than the Big Shuriken or the Cooler Master Gemini II S with only the lower 92mm fan, though.
post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz;13723483 
i think height is the only real restriction. And the motherboard design (of course). The video card will always be in slot one (seems to me on m-atx). And cpu coolers don't go past the motherboard towards the top (there's never clearance there, traditionally.)

i guess with nh-c14 it all depends on how u mount it, cause it extends to one side a bit more, like this:

[ATTACH]213455[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]213453[/ATTACH]

but if u install it this way, when long side extends down towards pci-e slots it might fit:

[ATTACH]213454[/ATTACH]
Core 3000
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Z77 Sabertooth Evga GTX 670 FTW  8GB Mushkin Silverline 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra Seagate Coolit Eco Win 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns-g 28" Razer Black Widow Ultimate 600w PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII Modded Fractal Design Core 3000 
MouseAudio
Razer Abyssus ALC882 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 3000
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Z77 Sabertooth Evga GTX 670 FTW  8GB Mushkin Silverline 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra Seagate Coolit Eco Win 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns-g 28" Razer Black Widow Ultimate 600w PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII Modded Fractal Design Core 3000 
MouseAudio
Razer Abyssus ALC882 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 28
They've installed it with the deep 166mm side up. If you turn it around 90 degrees it will only be 140mm and within the frame of the motherboard. Here's a pic of it mounted in the same direction on a Zotac mini ITX-motherboard...

14133818779l.jpg

With the lower fan it has 38mm clearance for the ram.

noctua_nh_c14_031.jpg

Corsair XMS3 is 32mm high.

Classic.jpg
post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaz;13728445 
They've installed it with the deep 166mm side up. If you turn it around 90 degrees it will only be 140mm and within the frame of the motherboard. Here's a pic of it mounted in the same direction on a Zotac mini ITX-motherboard...

14133818779l.jpg

With the lower fan it has 38mm clearance for the ram.

noctua_nh_c14_031.jpg

Yeap, this is what i meant. With height of 105mm it should fit easily with drive carrier removed.
Core 3000
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Z77 Sabertooth Evga GTX 670 FTW  8GB Mushkin Silverline 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra Seagate Coolit Eco Win 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns-g 28" Razer Black Widow Ultimate 600w PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII Modded Fractal Design Core 3000 
MouseAudio
Razer Abyssus ALC882 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 3000
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Z77 Sabertooth Evga GTX 670 FTW  8GB Mushkin Silverline 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra Seagate Coolit Eco Win 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns-g 28" Razer Black Widow Ultimate 600w PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII Modded Fractal Design Core 3000 
MouseAudio
Razer Abyssus ALC882 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 28
The key for cooling imo is making sure the orig design is respected. IOW, only cold air goes to the cpu cooler fan and the cpu fan pushes hot air out of the case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › My SFF Gaming rig (with pics)