Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TheAge]Apple leads the mobile computer market: report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TheAge]Apple leads the mobile computer market: report - Page 4

post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou;12459603 
iPad is a computer. A computer is just a machine that can be programmed. Such machines require memory.

That chip inside your car that regulates gas combustion in your engine is a computer. A microwave oven is a type of computer. Modern digital cameras are computers also.

Desktops and laptops are just a type of computer.

an ipad is not a computer. just because it has a computer chip and people use it to watch tv, play some casual games or read books doesn't make it a computer. yes, it might have been a powerful computer back in the days but it is not even a computer by today's definition. just like today, a commodore 64 or an old "computer" from 30 years ago is not a computer. it can't even play singularity or battlefield 2142 much less do any sort of folding.

again, to sum it up. an ipad is not a computer. does that compute with you? w/e tablet, or pda, or smartphone isn't a mobile computer, ipad, nokia n900, samsung galaxy or Babbage's mechanical calculator. unless it can play crysis then we can start an argument about it.
Edited by dontpwnmebro - 2/20/11 at 4:54pm
post #32 of 76
lol wikipedia fails again on what constitutes the definition of computer. never trust wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer#Misconceptions

Quote:
A computer does not need to be electric, nor even have a processor, nor RAM, nor even hard disk. The minimal definition of a computer is anything that transforms information in a purposeful way.
WRONG!
post #33 of 76
Even a calculator is a "computer" because it does computations. New MBP come out on thursday !
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
Mixed Bag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6950X 4600Mhz ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 1080 Ti FE HyperX 12-13-13 @2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 x64 ASUS ROG PG279Q Black 27" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Corsair Air 540 Corsair RGB 
Mouse Pad
Some naked Anime with a plump butt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrilliantq View Post
Even though the iPad is not a mobile computer...
Should rename it Fisher Price Tab 2.0.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconroy135 View Post
Even a calculator is a "computer" because it does computations. New MBP come out on thursday !
im going to quote this guy to remind you why you are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdisturbed47 View Post
The iPad is a big iPod Touch. As soon as I can play Singularity or Battlefield 2142 on an iPad, then I'll call it a mobile computer.
post #36 of 76
AIDS burger in paradise...

Needs Updated
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 960 EVGA X58 3X SLI EVGA GTX580 (3 x 2GB) G.Skill PI Series 5-5-5-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2X WD 320GB Raid0 + WD500GB Heatkiller CPU/GPU blocks, Feser Quad/Dual rads Windows 7 Annihilation x64 40" Toshiba LED 120Hz 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair Pro Series Gold 1200W Corsair 800D Uber Modded Razer Mamba 2012 Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Scarab Logitech 5.1, Polk Audio 10" sub, Plantronics G... 
  hide details  
Reply
Needs Updated
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 960 EVGA X58 3X SLI EVGA GTX580 (3 x 2GB) G.Skill PI Series 5-5-5-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2X WD 320GB Raid0 + WD500GB Heatkiller CPU/GPU blocks, Feser Quad/Dual rads Windows 7 Annihilation x64 40" Toshiba LED 120Hz 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Corsair Pro Series Gold 1200W Corsair 800D Uber Modded Razer Mamba 2012 Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Scarab Logitech 5.1, Polk Audio 10" sub, Plantronics G... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 76
Why are some of you stretching the definition of "mobile computer" out so much? Obviously cars have computers and are mobile. But obviously they're not considered mobile computers...because they're called automobiles.

Microwaves are not mobile computers. Neither are toasters. You don't lug them around. Digital cameras.....are cameras - an entirely different class of electronics. MP3 players are also in a class all they're own. Just like....*gasp*...cell phones. It doesn't make sense comparing a camera to a mobile laptop or tablet.

You guys absolutely HATE the title of this thread and it's subject so you're taking everything for it's literal meaning, which is not only just dumb, it's childish. Grow up. Obviously the iPad and other tablets ARE computers. Oh no, you can't play Crysis on it. When did that become a requirement for classification? Or Folding? Gimme a break.

And I saw another comparison to Android. That's OS, not a manufacturer. Pretty big difference there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpwnmebro View Post
an ipad is not a computer. just because it has a computer chip and people use it to watch tv, play some casual games or read books doesn't make it a computer. yes, it might have been a powerful computer back in the days but it is not even a computer by today's definition. just like today, a commodore 64 or an old "computer" from 30 years ago is not a computer. it can't even play singularity or battlefield 2142 much less do any sort of folding.

again, to sum it up. an ipad is not a computer. does that compute with you? w/e tablet, or pda, or smartphone isn't a mobile computer, ipad, nokia n900, samsung galaxy or Babbage's mechanical calculator. unless it can play crysis then we can start an argument about it.
So let me get this straight. The iPad is not a computer. But it MIGHT have been one back in the day, but is not considered one today. And an "old" computer from back in "the day", take an old 486, is not a computer anymore either. All because it cannot play 2142 or other modern games?

*headasplodes

I think it's time for some of you guys clinging to your big desktops, clunky keyboards and mice take your head out of the sand.
Edited by ForumViewer - 2/20/11 at 5:21pm
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
So let me get this straight. The iPad is not a computer. But it MIGHT have been one back in the day, but is not considered one today. And an "old" computer from back in "the day", take an old 486, is not a computer anymore either. All because it cannot play 2142 or other modern games?

*headasplodes

I think it's time for some of you guys clinging to your big desktops, clunky keyboards and mice take your head out of the sand.
that's just my conclusion based on the arguments presented in this thread.
post #39 of 76
Of course the iPad is a computer. It is programmable, it runs programs, does calculations.

A TI-83 is a computer. A commodore 64 is a computer. A Microwave is not a computer, it just might use a computer chip to control it's functions.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V ASUS 9600 GSO 384 2x2gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
2x250GB DVD Windows 7 64 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V ASUS 9600 GSO 384 2x2gb G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
2x250GB DVD Windows 7 64 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 76
Maybe there should be a clarification as to what they're defining a computer? Oh wait there is one on the main post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpwnmebro View Post
lol wikipedia fails again on what constitutes the definition of computer. never trust wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer#Misconceptions

WRONG!
I wish there were an appropriate way to quote your oh-so intelligent post there.


EDIT: Found a way. A/w I hope you's trollin'.
Edited by BlackVenom - 2/20/11 at 5:56pm
IntelAsylum R2.1
(14 items)
 
M11xR2
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G 16GB Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
R0: 2x1TB WD Se Samsung 840 EVO LG UH12LS28 BDD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E2414H x2 M$ Sidewinder x4 Seasonic 600W CM HAF 932A 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitec M705 MouseMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 GT335m 1gb 4gb ddr3 Sandisk 128GB SSD 
OS
Windows/Linux/Depends 
  hide details  
Reply
IntelAsylum R2.1
(14 items)
 
M11xR2
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G 16GB Ripjaw X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
R0: 2x1TB WD Se Samsung 840 EVO LG UH12LS28 BDD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E2414H x2 M$ Sidewinder x4 Seasonic 600W CM HAF 932A 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitec M705 MouseMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 GT335m 1gb 4gb ddr3 Sandisk 128GB SSD 
OS
Windows/Linux/Depends 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TheAge]Apple leads the mobile computer market: report