i would appreciate some advice. i'm not an audiophile but i appreciate quality sound and i'd like to improve my gaming experience. i'm looking for an audio setup that will allow me to control volume through a physical knob. my focus is gaming. i play FPS games with the occasional Mafia II style game thrown in. budget is low, $100 - $150.
- on-board Realtek ALC892 8-channel
- HD280 PRO headphones
- generic low-end PC 2.1 speakers (creative i trigue 3400)
looking to upgrade to:
- an improved source (X-fi, Xonar, DAC, etc. ?)
- keeping my HD280 PRO's, i'm happy with them
- keeping the PC 2.1 speakers (i use headphones while gaming, speakers are used only for youtube vids etc.)
here's my current setup. soundcard -> low-end 2.1 speakers -> HD280 connected through the volume control pod of the i trigue speakers.
i'm concerned that i'm losing audio quality by connecting my headphones through the speaker control pod. i want a solution that allows me to control volume with a physical knob. so, what i'm looking for is something that sits on my desk (with a physical volume control knob) that i can plug my headphones into and that would minimize loss in audio quality. i want to be able to plug my speakers into this device as well.
- physical volume control
- good quality audio pass through
- connect headphones and speakers at the same time (ideally speakers would auto-mute when headphones are plugged in)
- do not care about audio quality passed through to the speakers
- must allow EQ adjustment (physical or software based)
since my primary purpose is gaming i figure i should stick to a sound card (X-fi, ASUS) instead of a DAC. input is welcome here. the
so i'm looking for an improved audio source and volume control. thanks in advance for any and all advice.