Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [IGN] Sony Begins PS3 Bans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[IGN] Sony Begins PS3 Bans - Page 9

post #81 of 98
wooo!! I just came in here to say crap!! Don't forget to bring Nazis in before the mods finally lock the thread! thumb.gif
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post
So if stealing BMW cars would increase their sales that'd be ok too I guess ?
I stole my first BMW, I then went back to the dealer and purchased it...
Mean Mango Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0 GHZ EVGA nForce 680i SLI NF68-T1 Revision 2 2X SLI EVGA GeForce 9800 GT G92 512MB@600Mhz 4GB OCZ DDR2 6400 Platinum R2 1GBx4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Raptors140GB RAID 0 1x WD 1TB PIONEER DVR-112DBK 18X DVD±RW DL Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Dell 2007 FP 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Extended Black USB OCZ 700W SLI GameXStream Black Honeycomb Cooling Cooler Master Elite 330 Black W/ Dust Screens Logitech MX™ Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Black GelWrist™ Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Mean Mango Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.0 GHZ EVGA nForce 680i SLI NF68-T1 Revision 2 2X SLI EVGA GeForce 9800 GT G92 512MB@600Mhz 4GB OCZ DDR2 6400 Platinum R2 1GBx4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Raptors140GB RAID 0 1x WD 1TB PIONEER DVR-112DBK 18X DVD±RW DL Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Dell 2007 FP 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Extended Black USB OCZ 700W SLI GameXStream Black Honeycomb Cooling Cooler Master Elite 330 Black W/ Dust Screens Logitech MX™ Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Black GelWrist™ Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 98
This thread is about Sony Banning PS3's with custom firmware from PSN piracy and how it affects the economy.
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium III 733 MHz On-board 32MB Graphics 256MB DDR 19GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows XP Pro 15" CRT Display 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium III 733 MHz On-board 32MB Graphics 256MB DDR 19GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows XP Pro 15" CRT Display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 98
Think about this...

If there was no piracy, but the media still existed, would people be buying the songs and such? Of course.

However, because there is piracy, and because it is so easy, with such minimal risk, so many people do pirate the media.

Not to say that all people who pirate will purchase media if there was no way to pirate things... There are people who are cheap in the world, and even if they couldn't pirate anymore, still would not buy the media... For songs and such, they would just use radio, and for games, movies and such, they would still enjoy them, just not in the same quantity as they do now, there may even be some who complete stop using the media simply because there is no way to steal it..
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 WC'd ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional Sapphire + Gigabyte R9 290X CF WC'd 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1 2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1 Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe Custom Watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 55" 4K Samsung Curved TV Roccat Sova Mechanical Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters Roccat Kone XTD 2x XFX Warpad ODAC > Glow Amp One > K702/65 
AudioOther
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1 Xbox One Wireless Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 540M @ 3.33Ghz DC 3.65Ghz SC Acer Intel HD 3000 + ATi Radeon HD 5650M Switchable 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 13.3" 1366x768 G403 
Audio
iBasso D-Zero Headphone AMP + DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 WC'd ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional Sapphire + Gigabyte R9 290X CF WC'd 16GB G. Skill Ripjaws Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 RAID 1 2x 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD RAID 1 Samsung Burner w/ Lightscribe Custom Watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 55" 4K Samsung Curved TV Roccat Sova Mechanical Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200W Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 922 w/ Dust Filters Roccat Kone XTD 2x XFX Warpad ODAC > Glow Amp One > K702/65 
AudioOther
Yamaha Receiver + 5.1 Xbox One Wireless Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 540M @ 3.33Ghz DC 3.65Ghz SC Acer Intel HD 3000 + ATi Radeon HD 5650M Switchable 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMouse
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 13.3" 1366x768 G403 
Audio
iBasso D-Zero Headphone AMP + DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 98
Why don't they stop crying and come out with a PS4 already. The statement about a 10 year lifespan is a joke. They are just milking the unit to death and selling more and more games. The platform is old and junky by todays standards.
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
New i7 950 build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @ 4.2ghz MSI Big Bang x58  Crossfire Sapphire 7970 OC  6gb HyperX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
C300 64gb , Agility2 90gb, 2x WD greens Raid 0 Samsung 830 series 64gb H100 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Crossover 1440p OCZ ZX850W Lian li Pc-x2000f 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 98
I shall say this once again

------------------------------

SONY = CHILDISH S*UM
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Ok, let me give you a little clarity on your misconception here. this wasn't just a "simple little mod" to "jailbreak" the console. This was an extremely invasive security exploit performed by reverse engineering the OS, allowing not just Linux, but any other software to be installed as well, this includes pirated games, game hacks, etc.
And I do not see the problem with that - GeoHot is simply unlocking the capabilities of the machine. The only way I would see any reason to ban a modded machine is if the mod involves actual cheating. They need to ban the cheaters, not the modders. It doesn't matter if it is invasive or not - I think the question is why has Sony gone so far as to include deficient security in the system in the first place. It is nothing more than some garbage DRM scheme - stuff that should be banned in the first place.

And my point remains that GeoHot bought the machine - he owns it - he can do what he likes. If he breaks an actual law and commits crime, then sure, prosecute for the crime - not over some mod. And same with posting such things, because it was just a mod, and doesn't damage Sony or an anyone else. If there is cheating, ban the cheaters - but don't ban people engaged in lawful activities.

Quote:
Do what you want with the hardware, you cannot touch the software. End of story.
Wrong, you can do whatever to the software, so long as you do not distribute the software for profit. People apply patches and alterations to their systems all of the time - and no one is getting sued over it. Like on my system, I removed IE and installed FireFox. Win7 is software, I altered it, and MS is not suing me at all. So if GeoHot chooses to alter or mod his system, and people discuss it in a blog - there is not one illegal thing about it. EULAs are not the law, Congress never prohibited the alternation of anything, except when it comes to copyright, which would prohibit GeoHot from marketing that code for profit without holding a license from Sony.

Quote:
Sony did what they had to do to protect millions of honest customers from those who would misuse and abuse the system.
But they aren't - GeoHot never attacked anyone else. If piracy is the issue - then go after the actual pirates; if cheating is the problem, ban the cheaters. But don't go attacking those who mod a system. To say that GeoHot is somehow the font of all things pirated - then really, we have to start suing people like Al Shugart and Vint Cerf, because without their inventions, piracy and cheating would not be possible.

Quote:
So please, go read up on wha tthis is all about before posting your tirades, cos you really have no idea what you're talking about.
I know exactly what I am talking about. It is about some giant corporate going out and sitting on some hobbyists who noodled with a system as part of their hobby. And if this succeeds, then goodbye overclocking - because that would have to be banned because Intel and AMD are losing real profits on that. And a host of other things. What needs to be done is for a jury to find Sony's claims to be bogus, and that they are engaging in defamation anf fraud, and to put upon them a fine of a billion dollars for wasting everyone's time. Sony needs to suffer some punative damages for this garbage - and the entire industry needs to be purged of the need to put their devices in jail.
post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624 View Post
Why don't they stop crying and come out with a PS4 already. The statement about a 10 year lifespan is a joke. They are just milking the unit to death and selling more and more games. The platform is old and junky by todays standards.
So is the Xbox360...but Consoles do NOT follow the same lifespans as PC's. As such they can keep to the same hardware configuration for a fair while before having to move onto a newer configuration.
post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
And I do not see the problem with that - GeoHot is simply unlocking the capabilities of the machine. The only way I would see any reason to ban a modded machine is if the mod involves actual cheating. They need to ban the cheaters, not the modders. It doesn't matter if it is invasive or not - I think the question is why has Sony gone so far as to include deficient security in the system in the first place. It is nothing more than some garbage DRM scheme - stuff that should be banned in the first place.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read in my entire life. How can they determine which "modder" is using the mods to use illegally obtain content? They can't, and even if they could there is no way they would go through each and every one of the users and manually check everything on their system. If they did that, we'd all be pretty certain people like you would come on here and cry some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
And my point remains that GeoHot bought the machine - he owns it - he can do what he likes. If he breaks an actual law and commits crime, then sure, prosecute for the crime - not over some mod. And same with posting such things, because it was just a mod, and doesn't damage Sony or an anyone else. If there is cheating, ban the cheaters - but don't ban people engaged in lawful activities.
Once again, how can they efficiently detect if your mod is being used for legal purposes? Not to mention: If they ban the cheaters and not the modders. The modders will constantly find ways to cheat without being detected, and there will be constant update patches sent. So no, ban the modders and the cheaters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
Wrong, you can do whatever to the software, so long as you do not distribute the software for profit. People apply patches and alterations to their systems all of the time - and no one is getting sued over it. Like on my system, I removed IE and installed FireFox. Win7 is software, I altered it, and MS is not suing me at all. So if GeoHot chooses to alter or mod his system, and people discuss it in a blog - there is not one illegal thing about it.
Wrong again. Stop with the Windows comparisons. I know your reading comprehension is below par, so I will put this as simple as possible. Microsoft, the creator of Windows, wants you to be able to run anything that doesn't break laws on your machine. If you weren't able to run any openly developed program, Windows would not be what it is today. When you use Windows, you don't agree to the terms to not perform modifications. Not to mention, when you install a new program you aren't altering copyrighted code. You aren't reverse engineering anything. That is essentially me saying I can uninstall a downloaded game from my PS3, and install a new game. Which I can, I do it all the time, specifically with demos. That isn't breaking the PS3 terms, but reverse engineering the code, modifying, then redistributing it is.
That brings another point, if you reverse engineered Windows, modified it to not require activation and then redistributed it, you better be prepared for prosecution. Do you understand now, should I quote myself and put it in bold? I have no idea how many times this has been said, it is ridiculous. I am honestly shocked at how bad you comprehend things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
EULAs are not the law, Congress never prohibited the alternation of anything, except when it comes to copyright, which would prohibit GeoHot from marketing that code for profit without holding a license from Sony.
It isn't a criminal law, but it is definitely capable of a civil suit. If you agree to a contract and you don't hold up your end, you can be prosecuted. When you agree to something, you are giving up any "typical" rights to what ever it pertains to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
But they aren't - GeoHot never attacked anyone else. If piracy is the issue - then go after the actual pirates; if cheating is the problem, ban the cheaters. But don't go attacking those who mod a system. To say that GeoHot is somehow the font of all things pirated - then really, we have to start suing people like Al Shugart and Vint Cerf, because without their inventions, piracy and cheating would not be possible.
Try to count the number of suits on Limewire, Ares, Napster (original), Bearshare, etc. It would be incredibly difficult to fight off all the pirates, so the most efficient thing to do is hit it from the source, which Geo is the source. The modders of the console is the source. They aren't going just after Geo, they are going after the failOverflow team as well. Geo is just an arrogant prick who jumped on the media train so people like you would feel sorry for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post

I know exactly what I am talking about. It is about some giant corporate going out and sitting on some hobbyists who noodled with a system as part of their hobby. And if this succeeds, then goodbye overclocking - because that would have to be banned because Intel and AMD are losing real profits on that.
By overclocking, you agree that any damages done will result in not being able to DRM or replacement at the company's expense.
Once again, another horrible analogy. Stop that, you are a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
And a host of other things. What needs to be done is for a jury to find Sony's claims to be bogus, and that they are engaging in defamation anf fraud, and to put upon them a fine of a billion dollars for wasting everyone's time. Sony needs to suffer some punative damages for this garbage - and the entire industry needs to be purged of the need to put their devices in jail.
See, this voids everything you've just said. You are obviously biased. You are ridiculously blind of the law, what contracts mean, and what fraud means. Not to mention, you completely disregarded that incredibly long post I wrote just for you. You telling a public forum that Sony is fraudulent, falsely and without any actual evidence outside of biased opinion, calls for you to be sued for defamation. AND, Sony is a massive tech provider and coexist with other companies like Toshiba and Samsung. You realize if Sony goes down, media-tech as we know it would drastically change, prices would go up, and your fairytale world you live in would collapse.

Seriously, get out of here. You are completely ignorant of this entire thing.
Edited by Zinxe - 2/19/11 at 12:09pm
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD Barracuda 500 WD 1000 WD 1000 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM Windows 10 Acer S277HK 27" 4K Acer 23" 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" 1080p Razer Black Widow Ultimate EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX 
Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 98
Evan my man, you agree to the rules, you break the rules, you dont get the same perks anymore. That's all you need to know.
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [IGN] Sony Begins PS3 Bans