Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Best DDR3 ram 8gg(2x) 150$ range.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best DDR3 ram 8gg(2x) 150$ range.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey there, im my adventures of building computers for my girlfriend and i, ive come to a roadblock when it comes to my knowledge of high speed ddr3 ram.
I was just looking for some reccomendations for 8gb dual channel (4x2gb) ram chips to go with our asus crosshair IV formula motherboards.

I had these in mind:
http://canadacomputers.com/product_i...item_id=025353

but im not 100% sure due to "Optimized for Core i5, i7 and Core 2" being in the title.

Ive also considered the g.skill ripjaws series but again i know very very little about ram D: and there are so many to choose from, i dont know the difference. I know that there are some things to do with timing, but i dont quite grasp the concept of that yet
http://www.canadacomputers.com/advan...ipjaws&x=0&y=0

If anyone can give me some additional in depth info on timings, what they do and how it affects OCing, it will help me alot

I am considering OCing to 1600 or 2000. if possible.
post #2 of 10
The price on that is pretty decent. If you're near Toronto, purchase from NCIX - you can get local pickup. They offer price match on CanadaComputers and other Canadian stores and usually have bigger stock and as I've found better service. Ignore anything that says "optimized for Intel".

Best for below $150:
G.Skill ECO 1600 CL7-8-7, $65.83 each after price match - $148.77 after Ontario tax
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
The price on that is pretty decent. If you're near Toronto, purchase from NCIX - you can get local pickup. They offer price match on CanadaComputers and other Canadian stores and usually have bigger stock and as I've found better service. Ignore anything that says "optimized for Intel".

Best for below $150:
G.Skill ECO 1600 CL7-8-7, $65.83 each after price match - $148.77 after Ontario tax

thanks a bunch ^^

Unfourtunately im near toronto, but not in any way likely to get there on the cheap (im in london with no car)
Ill likely order or pickup from canada computers, they have free shipping on orders over 150$ anyways.

Is there any distinguishable difference between the two different chips you showed me? other than the heat spreader of course.
post #4 of 10
Whoops, the first link was supposed to lead to G.Skill ECOs at NCIX
I recommend them, despite $5 or so more than similar Ripjaws variant, as they usually are binned better/OC slightly better and do fit the budget there. It is $73 on CanadaComputers though, this may exceed your budget counting tax. The Ripjaws actually fit your budget better at just $60; they usually OC slightly less on par with ECOs (i.e. requiring 2T instead of 1T), but usually reach at least 6-8-6 just the same.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Whoops, the first link was supposed to lead to G.Skill ECOs at NCIX
I recommend them, despite $5 or so more than similar Ripjaws variant, as they usually are binned better/OC slightly better and do fit the budget there. It is $73 on CanadaComputers though, this may exceed your budget counting tax. The Ripjaws actually fit your budget better at just $60; they usually OC slightly less on par with ECOs (i.e. requiring 2T instead of 1T), but usually reach at least 6-8-6 just the same.
150$ isnt my top price, simply a guidline im willing to go a bit over if needed.

so the eco's are your reccomendation?
post #6 of 10
They're a great choice for the budget in Canada, and with an x6 (E0 revision) or newer x4/x2 (C3 revision) CPU you shouldn't have any problems running 4 DIMMs of this at 1600 6-8-6 or better
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
They're a great choice for the budget in Canada, and with an x6 (E0 revision) or newer x4/x2 (C3 revision) CPU you shouldn't have any problems running 4 DIMMs of this at 1600 6-8-6 or better
awesome now all i have to do is find out what all that means
post #8 of 10
What processor do you plan to pair her with? With C2 revision you may have problems running 4 DIMMs at the rated speed/timings
post #9 of 10
The difference between fast ram and average stuff is only noticeable in benchmarks.So sure if you want to play around with it then go for it but otherwise the difference is not really noticeable no matter what ram it is.8gb kits can be had for around 80.00.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-750 4.3@1.375v Asus Maximus III Formula Asus ENGTX465 4gb G Skill 2000 Mhz.Trident @2133 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 2 50GB SSD/WD 500GB Blue/WD640GB Black Samsung DVD/RW Corsair H-50 Windows 10 home 64 Bit Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24"1080P LED Asus VE248H Abs M1 Cooler master silent pro 600 modular M600 RS-60... Lian Li Lancool PCK-58 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Kinzu no 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-750 4.3@1.375v Asus Maximus III Formula Asus ENGTX465 4gb G Skill 2000 Mhz.Trident @2133 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 2 50GB SSD/WD 500GB Blue/WD640GB Black Samsung DVD/RW Corsair H-50 Windows 10 home 64 Bit Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24"1080P LED Asus VE248H Abs M1 Cooler master silent pro 600 modular M600 RS-60... Lian Li Lancool PCK-58 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Kinzu no 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
What processor do you plan to pair her with? With C2 revision you may have problems running 4 DIMMs at the rated speed/timings
I plan on getting the 1090T

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post
The difference between fast ram and average stuff is only noticeable in benchmarks.So sure if you want to play around with it then go for it but otherwise the difference is not really noticeable no matter what ram it is.8gb kits can be had for around 80.00.
Im also looking for somthing that looks nice in my case, i hate the vissual unappeal of cheap ram, slso i want to be prepared for the future when faster ram may be an advantage in gaming and photoshoping
Edited by AlaskaFox - 2/19/11 at 4:14pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Best DDR3 ram 8gg(2x) 150$ range.