Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Computer Room / Office › Computer armoire...suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Computer armoire...suggestions?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Well.....me and the Mrs have been batting around some ideas as far as the location of my rig is. Currently its in the dining room, and it's a real eye sore. I am thinking of getting a computer armoire to replace my desk. I was thinking about just getting a laptop and calling it good, but then I was like wait, I like the performance of my desktop, why give it up? So maybe I can still have it.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
I've been having a similar discussion with my missus about the (ugly) server case we have in the living room and I have two ideas.

One would be a sort of armoire as you say, but something more non-tech looking. This in turns means that it would probably be wooden and it could cause problems with cooling. Therefore I'd have to design some sort of a cooling system for the armoire to remove the warm air.

A second thought would be just to buy something like this case and turn the server into a geeky-looking HTPC. It has remote which supposedly is compatible with WinT's media center software, a nice VFD where you can output the weather conditions and also an iPod dock. The problem is such a case is huge and it may cause some clearance problems in the living room furniture... and being huge it may still be ugly.

Cheers
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
I've been having a similar discussion with my missus about the (ugly) server case we have in the living room and I have two ideas.

One would be a sort of armoire as you say, but something more non-tech looking. This in turns means that it would probably be wooden and it could cause problems with cooling. Therefore I'd have to design some sort of a cooling system for the armoire to remove the warm air.

A second thought would be just to buy something like this case and turn the server into a geeky-looking HTPC. It has remote which supposedly is compatible with WinT's media center software, a nice VFD where you can output the weather conditions and also an iPod dock. The problem is such a case is huge and it may cause some clearance problems in the living room furniture... and being huge it may still be ugly.

Cheers
Yep it sucks....its just alot of stuff all in one place......
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
I have built several office cabinets over the years (office armoire), they really do look nice, especially if you design it yourself and make it flow with the rest of the furniture. Very handy to hide the PC when it is not in use. usually I made the two doors about 12" deep so when the entire unit is open the doors hold components or other useful items. Hidden hinges allow you to fake the look of standard doors. Good luck with your search and please do post pictures of what you end up with.
The Dust Bin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 SandyBridge-E 3930K ASUS P9X79 EVGA GTX 680 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (8x4gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-R Corsair H70 Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1@ Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 and 2@ Acer 22" 105... Xarmor Backlit Cherry Blue Mechanical Cooler Power 750w SLI Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Poinite Laminate Logitech G930 Wireless 3D headset Joystick (HOTAS) Thrustmaster Warthog Flight Co... 
  hide details  
Reply
The Dust Bin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 SandyBridge-E 3930K ASUS P9X79 EVGA GTX 680 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (8x4gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-R Corsair H70 Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1@ Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 and 2@ Acer 22" 105... Xarmor Backlit Cherry Blue Mechanical Cooler Power 750w SLI Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Poinite Laminate Logitech G930 Wireless 3D headset Joystick (HOTAS) Thrustmaster Warthog Flight Co... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropNut View Post
I have built several office cabinets over the years (office armoire), they really do look nice, especially if you design it yourself and make it flow with the rest of the furniture. Very handy to hide the PC when it is not in use. usually I made the two doors about 12" deep so when the entire unit is open the doors hold components or other useful items. Hidden hinges allow you to fake the look of standard doors. Good luck with your search and please do post pictures of what you end up with.
Would you happen to know what brands are good? suggestions?
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Sorry BD, as I mentioned, I built and sold them I didnt buy them retail. Your budget will dictate what you can get, Sauder Home has many out there (Office Depot has them in stock) which are pressboard (laminated to look like solid wood) and the more upscale furniture stores will have solid wood units but at a greatly increased price. Sauder Home units are around 250-300 and upscale will cost anywhere from 500.00 to 4000.00 or so. Ours were usually around 2500-3500 range. Where in Michigan are you?
The Dust Bin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 SandyBridge-E 3930K ASUS P9X79 EVGA GTX 680 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (8x4gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-R Corsair H70 Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1@ Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 and 2@ Acer 22" 105... Xarmor Backlit Cherry Blue Mechanical Cooler Power 750w SLI Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Poinite Laminate Logitech G930 Wireless 3D headset Joystick (HOTAS) Thrustmaster Warthog Flight Co... 
  hide details  
Reply
The Dust Bin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 SandyBridge-E 3930K ASUS P9X79 EVGA GTX 680 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (8x4gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-R Corsair H70 Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1@ Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 and 2@ Acer 22" 105... Xarmor Backlit Cherry Blue Mechanical Cooler Power 750w SLI Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Poinite Laminate Logitech G930 Wireless 3D headset Joystick (HOTAS) Thrustmaster Warthog Flight Co... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropNut View Post
Sorry BD, as I mentioned, I built and sold them I didnt buy them retail. Your budget will dictate what you can get, Sauder Home has many out there (Office Depot has them in stock) which are pressboard (laminated to look like solid wood) and the more upscale furniture stores will have solid wood units but at a greatly increased price. Sauder Home units are around 250-300 and upscale will cost anywhere from 500.00 to 4000.00 or so. Ours were usually around 2500-3500 range. Where in Michigan are you?
Okay.....I really don't know what I am going to do, I really am very reluctant to go with a Sauder POS.

Iron Mountain, Mi.
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
I do not blame you at all, I would stay as far away from pressboard as possible but they are affordable, it might keep your options open. Either way, I would love to see what you end up with.

Iron Mountain is way to far from here but if you lived closer you would be welcome to stop by and work on a design, etc. But my shop is just north of Grand Rapids.
The Dust Bin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 SandyBridge-E 3930K ASUS P9X79 EVGA GTX 680 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (8x4gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-R Corsair H70 Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1@ Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 and 2@ Acer 22" 105... Xarmor Backlit Cherry Blue Mechanical Cooler Power 750w SLI Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Poinite Laminate Logitech G930 Wireless 3D headset Joystick (HOTAS) Thrustmaster Warthog Flight Co... 
  hide details  
Reply
The Dust Bin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 SandyBridge-E 3930K ASUS P9X79 EVGA GTX 680 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (8x4gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Samsung DVD-R Corsair H70 Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1@ Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 and 2@ Acer 22" 105... Xarmor Backlit Cherry Blue Mechanical Cooler Power 750w SLI Antec 900 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Poinite Laminate Logitech G930 Wireless 3D headset Joystick (HOTAS) Thrustmaster Warthog Flight Co... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropNut View Post
I do not blame you at all, I would stay as far away from pressboard as possible but they are affordable, it might keep your options open. Either way, I would love to see what you end up with.

Iron Mountain is way to far from here but if you lived closer you would be welcome to stop by and work on a design, etc. But my shop is just north of Grand Rapids.

Lol I live in GR about 2 years ago. Over by the east beltline and Plainfield.
Edited by bluedevil - 2/19/11 at 5:25am
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Room / Office
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Computer Room / Office › Computer armoire...suggestions?