Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › T2i vs. T3i vs. 60D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

T2i vs. T3i vs. 60D

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
Here's the long and short of things:

A couple months ago, I purchased a Rebel XS (1000D for those across the pond) as a "test the waters" venture into DSLR. I had shot film for, oh, the last 8 years or so, and figured I would spend as little as possible while still being able to get a quality-ish body. It's done pretty well, but there are a few points that really get in the way of accomplishing what I want in digital. For reference, I shoot mostly architecture, portraits and candids. Landscapes here and there, and some bicycling (bmx/track) stuff. My qualms with the XS include:

1. ISO limited to 1600 -- and VERY noisy when set so high. I have been shooting a LOT of indoor, low-light stuff with fast primes and sans flash, but any shots requiring ISO 800 or higher are rarely keepers due to noise -- even removing an acceptable amount of noise in post results in ridiculously soft images. Forget about printing anything bigger than 5x7 with those shots.

2. Poor continuous framerate when shooting RAW. It's 1.5fps for roughly three frames, and then slows to a crawl (yes, an even SLOWER crawl) after that. I don't need 10FPS, but 3-5 would do just fine.

3. Poor AF performance. Sure, a 7D makes the most attractive upgrade option in this regard, but I've got no need to spend that kind of money. It's also behind the aforementioned issues in importance to me.

4. Small. Even gripped, it's not the greatest thing to carry around for an extended period. Coupled with no real thumb grip on the back, it's really only tolerable while wearing gloves.

So really, those are the main points I want to address. However, things like the articulating screen of the T3i/60D don't really make a difference to me, and I could care less about it. I do like the ability of the T3i to control speedlites wirelessly, and it's slightly increased size over the T2i, but is it really worth the extra green? And the 60D -- isn't as attractive as I once thought, especially seeing that the main features I want to improve on exist all the way down at T2i level (same sensor/proc, higher RAW fr).

I need some advice, guys/gals. I've gotten a bonus from work today, and my wallet is seemingly poking me constantly. I don't know that I'll have another chance to upgrade (financially) this year (or maybe even next), so now's gotta be the time. Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 58
Have you thought about going with a 7D refurb w/ buyback program. Basically you trade in an old P&S, broken or working, and get 20-25?% off the refurb price. Which I believe knocks the 7D to right around 1000.... Just an option if you can stretch a little bit. You can read more about it on POTN.
Oliver
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 760 EVGA P55 Micro SLI EVGA GTX 470 Corsair XMS3 2GBx2 10666 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HP DVD R/W Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer H243H 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Corsair 700D 
  hide details  
Reply
Oliver
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 760 EVGA P55 Micro SLI EVGA GTX 470 Corsair XMS3 2GBx2 10666 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HP DVD R/W Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Acer H243H 24" 
PowerCase
Corsair TX750W Corsair 700D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 58
Here are the Pros + Cons of each one off the top of my head:

T2i-
$677 from Online Stores - Cheapest of the 3
18MP CMOS Digit 4-Same as other 2
3.7FPS with RAW
Pentamirror
1 Cross type AF point(center)
No Wireless Flash Support
Plastic Built - small to the hands
Video 1080@30fps

T3i-
$799 Body Only, this is the MSRP
18MP CMOS Digit 4-Same as other 2
3.7FPS with RAW
Pentamirror
1 Cross type AF point(center)
Wireless Flash Support(with groups)
Swivel LCD
Plastic Built - small to the hands
Video 1080@30fps - with 10x digital zoom(pixel does not enlarge)

60D-
$899 Body Only-found Online, MSRP of $999
18MP CMOS Digit 4-Same as other 2
5.3FPS with RAW
Pentaprism Viewfinder
9 Cross Type AF points
Wireless Flash Support(no groups)
Swivel LCD
Aluminum Built fits slightly better in your hands(with partial weather seal)
Video 1080@30fps

It looks like for around $100 more you get swivel screen and wireless flash with better video, for an extra $100 you get higher FPS, Pentaprism viewfinder, 9 cross type AF, and better built. Hmmmm...
Edited by PlucknPlay - 2/18/11 at 11:00am
Black Shoe Box
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Stock Evga 750i Sli Evga 9800 GT Akimbo in Sli 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500GB HD Lite-On 24X DVD-RW Win7 Ultimatex64 Asus VH-222H 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DAS Ultimate Silent Corsair 430CX Silverstone SG-02BFF MS Habu 
Mouse Pad
Wired Magazine 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Shoe Box
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Stock Evga 750i Sli Evga 9800 GT Akimbo in Sli 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500GB HD Lite-On 24X DVD-RW Win7 Ultimatex64 Asus VH-222H 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DAS Ultimate Silent Corsair 430CX Silverstone SG-02BFF MS Habu 
Mouse Pad
Wired Magazine 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 58
Thread Starter 
I think the 7D might be a bit overkill for my usage, and even 1000 is maybe a *bit* above what I'm looking to spend, what with the 60D popping up on B+H recently at $880 shipped, and the T2i around $650 (which makes immediate acquisition of a battery grip possible within my budget).
post #5 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlucknPlay View Post
Here are the Pros + Cons of each one off the top of my head:

T2i-
$677 from Online Stores - Cheapest of the 3
18MP CMOS Digit 4-Same as other 2
3.7FPS with RAW
Pentamirror
1 Cross type AF point(center)
No Wireless Flash Support
Plastic Built - small to the hands
Video 1080@30fps

T3i-
$799 Body Only, this is the MSRP
18MP CMOS Digit 4-Same as other 2
3.7FPS with RAW
Pentamirror
1 Cross type AF point(center)
Wireless Flash Support(with groups)
Swivel LCD
Plastic Built - small to the hands
Video 1080@30fps - with 10x digital zoom(pixel does not enlarge)

60D-
$899 Body Only-found Online, MSRP of $999
18MP CMOS Digit 4-Same as other 2
5.3FPS with RAW
Pentaprism Viewfinder
9 Cross Type AF points
Wireless Flash Support(no groups)
Swivel LCD
Aluminum Built fits slightly better in your hands(with partial weather seal)
Video 1080@30fps
Hrm. Perhaps I'll swing over to Calumet tomorrow and give the 60D another try. I was under the impression that it was all-plastic construction, like the T2i/T3i.

However, my main "want" lies in better high-ISO noise handling, which seems to be even amongst these 3 models. The AF improvement on the 60D does sound pretty convincing, though.
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub50hz View Post
Hrm. Perhaps I'll swing over to Calumet tomorrow and give the 60D another try. I was under the impression that it was all-plastic construction, like the T2i/T3i.

However, my main "want" lies in better high-ISO noise handling, which seems to be even amongst these 3 models. The AF improvement on the 60D does sound pretty convincing, though.
Well it's not all aluminum, it's more of a "Aluminium and polycarbonate resin with glass fibre" or some "Magnesium alloy body" it's not as well built as 50D or 7D.
Black Shoe Box
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Stock Evga 750i Sli Evga 9800 GT Akimbo in Sli 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500GB HD Lite-On 24X DVD-RW Win7 Ultimatex64 Asus VH-222H 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DAS Ultimate Silent Corsair 430CX Silverstone SG-02BFF MS Habu 
Mouse Pad
Wired Magazine 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Shoe Box
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Stock Evga 750i Sli Evga 9800 GT Akimbo in Sli 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500GB HD Lite-On 24X DVD-RW Win7 Ultimatex64 Asus VH-222H 1080P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DAS Ultimate Silent Corsair 430CX Silverstone SG-02BFF MS Habu 
Mouse Pad
Wired Magazine 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 58
Thread Starter 
I didn't expect that it would be, but thank you for pointing that out.
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub50hz View Post
Here's the long and short of things:

A couple months ago, I purchased a Rebel XS (1000D for those across the pond) as a "test the waters" venture into DSLR. I had shot film for, oh, the last 8 years or so, and figured I would spend as little as possible while still being able to get a quality-ish body. It's done pretty well, but there are a few points that really get in the way of accomplishing what I want in digital. For reference, I shoot mostly architecture, portraits and candids. Landscapes here and there, and some bicycling (bmx/track) stuff. My qualms with the XS include:

1. ISO limited to 1600 -- and VERY noisy when set so high. I have been shooting a LOT of indoor, low-light stuff with fast primes and sans flash, but any shots requiring ISO 800 or higher are rarely keepers due to noise -- even removing an acceptable amount of noise in post results in ridiculously soft images. Forget about printing anything bigger than 5x7 with those shots.
any of the new 16mp canon aps-c will offer you better iso performance (like 1 stop) if you are pixel peeping. but if you just want to print at 8x12, etc then the higher mp count will help when you turn up the noise filters in post.

Quote:
2. Poor continuous framerate when shooting RAW. It's 1.5fps for roughly three frames, and then slows to a crawl (yes, an even SLOWER crawl) after that. I don't need 10FPS, but 3-5 would do just fine.
60d gives you 5fps, t2i 3.7 fps and t3i 3.7 fps. buffer size on the rebel t2i (guessing the t3i too) will be small, so according to DPR, you get about 6 frames before you start getting some buffering lag. the 60d will give you 16 frames.

Quote:
3. Poor AF performance. Sure, a 7D makes the most attractive upgrade option in this regard, but I've got no need to spend that kind of money. It's also behind the aforementioned issues in importance to me.
AF on the 60d isnt that great, i cant really comment on the rebels cause i havent used one in a while but from what i remember they are about the same. definitely not on the same level as the 7d.

Quote:
4. Small. Even gripped, it's not the greatest thing to carry around for an extended period. Coupled with no real thumb grip on the back, it's really only tolerable while wearing gloves.
the to me is a bit small, but i find my a900 or 5d2 a bit small now.....take a trip to bestbuy and try for yourself.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlucknPlay View Post
Well it's not all aluminum, it's more of a "Aluminium and polycarbonate resin with glass fibre" or some "Magnesium alloy body" it's not as well built as 50D or 7D.
the 60d is completely plastic on the outside, it is a bit more "solid" then a entry level body.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 58
If you can live without video, the 50D is worth looking into. Magnesium shell, 6 FPS burst, better AF (but nowhere near as good as a 7D or 1D series), great ergonomics, partial sealing. The 60D isn't much better than a Rebel in terms of ergonomics IMO.

f you're considering the 60D, I would strongly recommend giving the 7D some consideration. Yes, it's more than a 60D, but not by much, and it is truly a masterful body. I don't think it would be overkill at all for you, in fact, judging from your shooting habits, it seems perfectly suited. I owned one briefly and really enjoyed it. The AF performance of the 7D is on par with the 1DIII (even the mkIV as some like to claim) and it's high ISO noise is very well controlled considering the resolution and sensor size.

I wouldn't recommend switching to a newer Rebel judging from the complaints you have with your XS.
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › T2i vs. T3i vs. 60D