Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › Problems using 42" LCD as a monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Problems using 42" LCD as a monitor

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
So my cousin just called me and said he upgraded his gpu from a 8600GT to a GTS 450.

The 8600GT has a VGA output that he used to hook it up to his tv which if i recall correctly is a Polaroid tv circa 2008 and since via VGA it only supported up to I believe 1366x768 that is what he always ran it at.

The GTS 450 is hooked up to the tv with a DVI to HDMI adapter but all he gets is a black screen and when he hits the info button on the remote it says "HDMI 6" with "p1 SD" under that.

So he hooked it up with the VGA cable and it glitches out a lot it goes between a black screen, to a blue "no signal" screen, and does occasionally get it to boot just fine but when he tries to start up a game or sometimes just even open up a folder half the time it will be just fine the other half of the time the computer reboots with a "windows recovered from a serious error" message.

Oh yeah, he also said that sometimes before it restarts it will briefly display a message saying something like "windows has recovered from a display error".

He has tried it on his 22" Samsung monitor with absolutely zero problems.

Lastly the card does have a MINI HDMI output which he can't use as he doesn't have an adapter or the correct cable for it, think maybe using this output would fix his problems?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, sorry if its too long.redface.gif
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
Is your cousins computer properly identifying the tv? I am using a LG 1080p tv for my monitor and haven't had any issues yet. My previous computer had a 8800gt amp edition and this one has a 5770 right now. The mini hdmi input shouldnt make a difference, does your cousins tv have an auto detect feature for each input in the options menu?
Edit: also can you post a link to the gts450 he bought?
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
This is the card he bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130573&cm_re=gts_450-_-14-130-573-_-Product

He says its being identified as a "generic monitor".

Edit: To be exact "Generic non-PnP Monitor"
Edited by pcnewb312 - 2/19/11 at 1:04pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnewb312;12447908 
This is the card he bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130573&cm_re=gts_450-_-14-130-573-_-Product

He says its being identified as a "generic monitor".

Edit: To be exact "Generic non-PnP Monitor"

Ok cool my computer does the same exact thing. Once he installs the proper drivers and restarts his computer it will then say the name brand of the tv. It seems like right now his computer for some reason is setting the wrong resolution and that is why the tv isnt picking up the image.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;12447939 
Ok cool my computer does the same exact thing. Once he installs the proper drivers and restarts his computer it will then say the name brand of the tv. It seems like right now his computer for some reason is setting the wrong resolution and that is why the tv isnt picking up the image.

You mean the nvidia drivers? He's currently using the latest on the nvidia website 266.58.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;12447832 
does your cousins tv have an auto detect feature for each input in the options menu?

He says his tv does auto detect all new connections but that there is no auto detect option for each input.
Edited by pcnewb312 - 2/19/11 at 1:12pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnewb312;12447965 
You mean the nvidia drivers? He's currently using the latest on the nvidia website 266.58.
He says his tv does auto detect all new connections but that there is no auto detect option for each input.
Hmm, once he installs the nvidia drivers it should automatically know the tv. When the screen goes black that is the computer changing the resolution and it seems like the tv is not accepting it for some reason. Can he plug both the tv and the monitor into the video card at once and then set the tv's resolution manually?
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFFY;12448121 
Hmm, once he installs the nvidia drivers it should automatically know the tv. When the screen goes black that is the computer changing the resolution and it seems like the tv is not accepting it for some reason. Can he plug both the tv and the monitor into the video card at once and then set the tv's resolution manually?

He just took off to go to work. Well he installed the nvidia drivers when the Samsung monitor was hooked up and then when he switched over to the tv is when it wouldn't recognize it.

He said when it reboots the resolution is fine, boot screen/windows logo, but when it should be loading the desktop is when the resolution glitches out and he gets the black/no signal screens.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 965 ASUS M4A79XTD XFX GTX260 4x4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD5001AALS CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnewb312;12448194 
He just took off to go to work. Well he installed the nvidia drivers when the Samsung monitor was hooked up and then when he switched over to the tv is when it wouldn't recognize it.

He said when it reboots the resolution is fine, boot screen/windows logo, but when it should be loading the desktop is when the resolution glitches out and he gets the black/no signal screens.

Have him completly uninstall the drivers for the video card. Use CC Cleaner to remove the old drivers, then hook up to the tv. Then turn on the computer and it will most likely load a screen resolution smaller than native. Like mine loaded at around 720p instead of 1080p. Then install the drivers restart the computer and then windows should pick up on the tv brand and have the correct resolutions to display. Here is a picture of what mine looks like the green circled part should change to Polaroid just like mine says LG.

Untitled36.png
post #9 of 13
Some times you have to restart windows for it to install a driver for something that is connected to your pc.

What raffy said. It's using a non-support resolution on the tv so it's being rejected.
House heater
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon W5580 @ 4GHz Foxconn Bloodrage GTI Asus GTX780 DirectCU II Asus GTX780 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
12GB Corsair 2000MHz @ 1444MHz 1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 Memorex dvd burner Corsair H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 Pro 64-bit 3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Vizio 42" TV Logitech MX5500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 850w CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) 
  hide details  
Reply
House heater
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon W5580 @ 4GHz Foxconn Bloodrage GTI Asus GTX780 DirectCU II Asus GTX780 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
12GB Corsair 2000MHz @ 1444MHz 1TB x2 Samsung F3 RAID 0 Memorex dvd burner Corsair H80 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win7 Pro 64-bit 3x 23" LG Flatron W2361VG (sexy glossy) Vizio 42" TV Logitech MX5500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 850w CoolerMaster HAF-X Logitech revolution laser (MX5500 combo) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott;12449309 
Some times you have to restart windows for it to install a driver for something that is connected to your pc.

What raffy said. It's using a non-support resolution on the tv so it's being rejected.

+1 i forgot to mention that after your buddy reinstalls the drivers manually run windows update. sometimes there is a file or two that may need to be download to update windows with your drivers with your monitor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › Problems using 42" LCD as a monitor