Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Stable at 4.2GHz? Voltage Issues? DRAM timings?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stable at 4.2GHz? Voltage Issues? DRAM timings?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
It appears as if my 980x is stable at 4.2GHz at the standard voltage, which I am unsure of. CPU-Z shows it at 1.35. I think it's actually change on it's own. Is that bad?

My temperatures have risen from 43C on load to 53C on load. I originally wanted to OC to 4.6GHz but would my CPU be stable? Would I have to raise the voltage? Should I raise the voltage for having it at 4.2GHz even though it's stable? Would raising the voltage help lower my temperatures or would they increase them? What temperature should I be shooting for?

Also, when I ordered my 2000MHz RAM from Newegg, the page stated timings at 8-9-8-27. In my BIOS, they are at 7-7-7-20. In CPU-Z, it says DRAM frequency is 537MHz and NB frequency is 2803.6MHz. It also shows Max Bandwidth as PC3-8500F (533MHz). I originally wanted to overclock my RAM to 2200MHz or so and increase timings. Any idea why the timings are already so low?

Sorry that I'm confused, it's my first time doing much overclocking.
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
It appears as if my 980x is stable at 4.2GHz at the standard voltage, which I am unsure of. CPU-Z shows it at 1.35. I think it's actually change on it's own. Is that bad?
No, not bad. Most motherboards will automatically raise voltages as needed up to a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
My temperatures have risen from 43C on load to 53C on load. I originally wanted to OC to 4.6GHz but would my CPU be stable? Would I have to raise the voltage? Should I raise the voltage for having it at 4.2GHz even though it's stable? Would raising the voltage help lower my temperatures or would they increase them? What temperature should I be shooting for?
53C on load is fine, you still have room to play. I wouldn't touch voltage if it's stable. Maybe lower it form what you are showing in cpu-z and see if you can remain stable.

Higher voltage = higher temps.

I always try to stay by my old 72C rule for a max temp. Although core i5 and i7 seem to be fine well past that. Max temp until they auto-throttle is 100C or so, but that's just crazy hot.

As for if your cpu would be stable at 4.6GHz. No way to know for sure except to try it. But don't just go for the gusto all in one shot. I'd take it 100MHz at a time. More speed requires more volts, and auto will only take you so far.

980x has a max safe voltage of 1.375 according to specs. I wouldn't push it past there, but that's on you. People have been known to run them at 1.45 and be fine, but again take caution.

Edit: I don't know jack about RAM timings, sorry. Hopefully somebody more well versed will come along on that.
Edited by tito13kfm - 2/19/11 at 10:44pm
My new i5
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Radeon HD 6850 2x2GB Patriot Sector 5 G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Samsung DL-DVD burner Windows 7 x64 Sceptre 22" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Antec Three Hundred Logitech MX518 My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
My new i5
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Radeon HD 6850 2x2GB Patriot Sector 5 G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Samsung DL-DVD burner Windows 7 x64 Sceptre 22" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Antec Three Hundred Logitech MX518 My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Is there any way to disable the voltage changer? Is that something that overclockers use? I figured that they would want to be able to control everything.

What about the RAM? Do you have any idea...? I find that very weird.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
Is there any way to disable the voltage changer? Is that something that overclockers use? I figured that they would want to be able to control everything.

What about the RAM? Do you have any idea...? I find that very weird.
i7 is tricky in my head. You have core and uncore, turbo, hyperthreading, QPI, and a mess of other things to worry about. I have never owned one so I can only go by what I read.

I would first nail down what bios you have, what options are available for you to change in terms of voltages, clocks, and multipliers. Then learn what they all mean.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...920-930-a.html is for a different processor but everything still applies.

is a video on overclocking that exact chip.

As far as the ram. Could be an xmp profile that got auto applied. Could be old settings in the bios. Could be anything. Manufacturer, series, and all relevant specs on ram could help us nail it down. Got a link to what you bought handy?
Edited by tito13kfm - 2/19/11 at 10:57pm
My new i5
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Radeon HD 6850 2x2GB Patriot Sector 5 G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Samsung DL-DVD burner Windows 7 x64 Sceptre 22" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Antec Three Hundred Logitech MX518 My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
My new i5
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k Asus P8P67 Pro Radeon HD 6850 2x2GB Patriot Sector 5 G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Samsung DL-DVD burner Windows 7 x64 Sceptre 22" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Antec Three Hundred Logitech MX518 My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm looking at something here and it looks like someone overclocked their bus speed to 200 instead of 133 and he only has 23x multiplier. Is that more worth it than doing x30 multipliers at 133? Just wondering the difference.

I want to try to get to 4.6GHz at 1.4v
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
I'm looking at something here and it looks like someone overclocked their bus speed to 200 instead of 133 and he only has 23x multiplier. Is that more worth it than doing x30 multipliers at 133? Just wondering the difference.

I want to try to get to 4.6GHz at 1.4v
Since you have the same board as me I'll give you an idea what to shoot for

Since it is a 6 core, try a cpu voltage 1.4-1.5 range only if it doesn't post or isn't stable. since your using an unlocked multiplier, first find the basis of your ram. What I did is hooked up a voltage tester using what was supplied with the R3E, and started by getting the ram to it's rated speed. Once I hit a margin I was happy with ( by using different frequencies and upping the bclk ) all the while keeping the cpu multiplier at its lowest, I then started to pump up the multiplier until I hit my goal, and getting it to post. I had to up the cpu's voltage to get it stable, but I left the auto setting for the qpi/pll.

Pro Tip: Unplug your raid array. My raid array's volume was corrupted from all the shutdown/restarts, and luckily I had a backup!

Here's my settings.

Cpu Multiplier : 23
AI Overclock : Manual (xmp will not work with ram past 1600!)
Memory: 2004
qpi slowest (except slow mode)
BCLK: 196
As far as the cpu's configuration, I left it pretty much alone. I kept speedstep and several other functions on for power saving, but I did disable turbo mode.
Cpu voltage 1.51
Dram Bus Voltage 1.64
Qpi auto
pll auto
Ioh/pcie auto
spread spectrum/pcie disabled

Hope this helps! You shouldn't have to bump your bclk up as high since your cpu has an unlocked multiplier.
Das Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 @ 4.52ghz HT on Asus Rampage III Extreme Evga Geforce 570 SlI Overclocked 12GB OCZ3FXE2133LV12GK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G Raid 0 Plextor PX-B940SA Win 7 Ultimate (x64) Samsung PX2370 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g110 Corsair CMPSU-850AX Modular Corsair 600t Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
Das Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 @ 4.52ghz HT on Asus Rampage III Extreme Evga Geforce 570 SlI Overclocked 12GB OCZ3FXE2133LV12GK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G Raid 0 Plextor PX-B940SA Win 7 Ultimate (x64) Samsung PX2370 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g110 Corsair CMPSU-850AX Modular Corsair 600t Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Not gonna lie Nate, I appreciate the help but that totally confused me. Haha.

I know I'm not gonna be an expert in one day and all. I guess I just want to know is 4.6GHz is a stable OC for a 980x over a multitude of years. I don't want to push my computer to a limit it shouldn't be at. Right now I'm at 4.2 @ 1.35v. I WOULD like to be able to set my own voltage instead of having it change automatically though.

And I still don't know why CPU-Z shows my RAM at 533MHz. =/
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
Not gonna lie Nate, I appreciate the help but that totally confused me. Haha.

I know I'm not gonna be an expert in one day and all. I guess I just want to know is 4.6GHz is a stable OC for a 980x over a multitude of years. I don't want to push my computer to a limit it shouldn't be at. Right now I'm at 4.2 @ 1.35v. I WOULD like to be able to set my own voltage instead of having it change automatically though.

And I still don't know why CPU-Z shows my RAM at 533MHz. =/
you can hit 4.6 problem is it will heat up a lot more underload than 4.5. I went with 4.5 b/c it maxes out at 80-85c under load, and 1.5v was all I feel safe pushing the cpu, I don't want it to run say 4.8 and have it die in a year. 4.5 Is my personal cut-off. You should be fine for many years @ 4.2 even 4.5. Here's how it basically works on an i7 in a nutshell:

Bclk (Base Clock) affects: cpu, uncore, qpi, dram.
multiplier affects the cpu's speed directly.
uncore is the speed of things in your proccessor that aren't your cores, such as you cache.
api affects your ram however it has little affect on end speed.

since you have an unlocked cpu, first look at your ram. If your ram is 1600mhz ram, and timings of sa 8-8-8-24 @ 1.64v.. go and set it up first w/o overclocking the cpu, and make sure it will post. Then use memtest 86 to verify the ram is stable at it's factory settings. From there you can reduce the timings to improve its speed, but in the end check it.

Once that is done, raise your multiplier on your cpu, say 500mhz at a time, until it won't post, or you reach your goal. If it won't post, up the cpu voltage say .05volts eg 1.3v to 1.35v. Mine is stable @ 1.v51 volts, 4.5 oc'd and the ram sites at 2000mhz.

your memory is most likely running at about 1400mhz atm if it's showing 500mhz in cpuz.
Das Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 @ 4.52ghz HT on Asus Rampage III Extreme Evga Geforce 570 SlI Overclocked 12GB OCZ3FXE2133LV12GK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G Raid 0 Plextor PX-B940SA Win 7 Ultimate (x64) Samsung PX2370 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g110 Corsair CMPSU-850AX Modular Corsair 600t Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
Das Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 @ 4.52ghz HT on Asus Rampage III Extreme Evga Geforce 570 SlI Overclocked 12GB OCZ3FXE2133LV12GK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G Raid 0 Plextor PX-B940SA Win 7 Ultimate (x64) Samsung PX2370 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g110 Corsair CMPSU-850AX Modular Corsair 600t Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks Nate,

That clarifies things a bit more. I appreciate it.

My processor is already overclocked to 4.256. Since I've never overclocked before, I am not quite sure what all of the options in the BIOS represent so at this point I'm only comfortable overclocking the CPU.

Since my CPU has an unlucked multiplier, I should always leave the bus speed exactly the same at 133MHz?

What if I didn't want 4.256 GHz and instead I wanted 4.108GHz, how do I get it to be exactly that? Or do I not because all I can do is multiply my 133GHz by whatever? Currently at 32?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
Thanks Nate,

That clarifies things a bit more. I appreciate it.

My processor is already overclocked to 4.256. Since I've never overclocked before, I am not quite sure what all of the options in the BIOS represent so at this point I'm only comfortable overclocking the CPU.

Since my CPU has an unlucked multiplier, I should always leave the bus speed exactly the same at 133MHz?

What if I didn't want 4.256 GHz and instead I wanted 4.108GHz, how do I get it to be exactly that? Or do I not because all I can do is multiply my 133GHz by whatever? Currently at 32?
no you can up it to 200 if you wanted. It's not necessary on a 980x tho, as you can manually set your ram to the frequency you want, and push the multiplier on the cpu up. If it doesn't post, give the cpu some more juice.

The difference is, my 6 core has a locked multiplier. To get my ram up and the cpu up I have to up the base clock. It's easier to oc a 980x in the 4.0-4.5 range because of that
Das Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 @ 4.52ghz HT on Asus Rampage III Extreme Evga Geforce 570 SlI Overclocked 12GB OCZ3FXE2133LV12GK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G Raid 0 Plextor PX-B940SA Win 7 Ultimate (x64) Samsung PX2370 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g110 Corsair CMPSU-850AX Modular Corsair 600t Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
Das Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 @ 4.52ghz HT on Asus Rampage III Extreme Evga Geforce 570 SlI Overclocked 12GB OCZ3FXE2133LV12GK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G Raid 0 Plextor PX-B940SA Win 7 Ultimate (x64) Samsung PX2370 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g110 Corsair CMPSU-850AX Modular Corsair 600t Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Stable at 4.2GHz? Voltage Issues? DRAM timings?