Originally Posted by Rust1d?
Here is what I have to work with:
Asus a7v333 mobo
512 mb patriot memory
Ati radeon 9500 pro
I have the original 10 gb hdd 98 was installed on
Asus dvd drive
The 250 has ide. I assume I can use the default browser that comes with 98?
I know I can use xp or a virtual machine but this is more fun and it is already put together aside from the dvd drive. I have lots of old games with disks too
Oh, so you're mostly ok.
- 512MB is the best and most Win 98 will take as I said
- The CPU is good for legacy gaming
- If the HDD is IDE, then you're fine too
- You might try buying a slightly more powerful GPU. Try getting a 9600XT or a 9800Pro second hand.
- Problems remaining:
1. You might have trouble for Windows 98 to install from a DVD Drive instead of a CD-ROM drive. It really depends. You have to try and see if it works. Sometimes the CD-ROm driver Windows 98 boot disk loads up can detect the DVD drive and work with it, sometimes it can't.
2. No, don't use the bowser that comes with with Windows 98. It's IE 5 (or 5.5, I don't know exactly), and does not even support or render current sites correctly. IE 6 works, but it has lots of security problems.
Try the last Opera that works with Win 98. As for Antivirus/Firewall, see my previous posts. Oh, and if you need to use USB pens, you're in trouble, like I said earlier too.