Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › HELP - System crashing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP - System crashing - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Sure you can run all those tests for as long as you like, but I would suggest lowering your CPU/GPU clock's and then running metro again, if it's crashing after 15-20mins that's going to be a much faster way to find out if it's your OC's or not.

Of course you can run stress tests all night if you like.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs2see View Post
Sure you can run all those tests for as long as you like, but I would suggest lowering your CPU/GPU clock's and then running metro again, if it's crashing after 15-20mins that's going to be a much faster way to find out if it's your OC's or not.

Of course you can run stress tests all night if you like.
I would like a more definite way to test my machine. If I run metro and it always fails then I am forced to get a new card. However, if I can run stress testing on the card and can discover the 'reason' why it is failing, it might be fixable.

Unlike many of the OCN members, I do not have the money to just replace things or ask for someone else to foot the bill.

Half assed testing is also just going to be a disservice for me down the line if i ever come across this problem again. What will I do in 2 years? Get the new game just to test my machine?
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
I can tell you from personal experience that the sure shot way of diagnosing your problem is to start from stock.
The first time I overclocked my CPU, I had random lockup while playing Fallout new vegas. It was not just crash to desktop - it was a total system lockup or crash. Then it happened once while I was surfing and another time when intalling a game. I ran gobs and gobs of prime95, IBT, OCCT, Memtest86+ and nothing, I mean NOTHING, failed. I uninstalled, installed GPU driver, my G15 keyboard software, whatever I could think of. Nothing helped. I finally set it back to stock clock and everything was fine. Realized it was my CPU overclock. I had to start back from scratch and now I am stable since a few months.
So, just to reiterate, save your BIOS settings, put it back to stock and play your game for a few days or weeks. I had to do that to rule out any other thing causing it. Otherwise too many variables to figure out what is causing your crashes.
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
Wife's bane
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz Gigabyte Z77 UD3H HIS R9-290 8 GB Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD for OS Samsung Spinpoint F3 Asus XSPC water block, 360 radiator, and 720 reservo... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
GPU cooling - XSPC Razer full GPU blocks Win 7 Home Premium Asus PB278Q 2560 X 1440p ISP Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
NZXT Hale90 V2 NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G500 Steelseries QcK 
Audio
Optical out to Sony receiver; Deftech Monitor 3... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarec View Post
I would like a more definite way to test my machine. If I run metro and it always fails then I am forced to get a new card. However, if I can run stress testing on the card and can discover the 'reason' why it is failing, it might be fixable.

Unlike many of the OCN members, I do not have the money to just replace things or ask for someone else to foot the bill.

Half assed testing is also just going to be a disservice for me down the line if i ever come across this problem again. What will I do in 2 years? Get the new game just to test my machine?
Does your system crash to a black screen, or do you get a BSOD? If you get a BSOD, what code is displayed on the screen?

If your computer crashes to a black screen, your GPU is probably the problem. Is your card overclocked? Leave it at stock and try playing the game. My 5750 would show no artifacts in both GPUTool and Furmark, but after 30-45 minutes of playing BC2 or GTAIV my system would crash. With ATI cards, it is much more common for the screen to flash or the driver to restart than for you to see artifacts during stress-testing.

Many times, the best way to stress your card is to play your favorite game. Remember, all stress-tests are synthetic, and may not stress your GPU the way a game does. Crysis/Metro 2033 are some of the best, "real-life scenario" ways to stress your card, as they are both very GPU and CPU intensive.
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaz View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that the sure shot way of diagnosing your problem is to start from stock.
The first time I overclocked my CPU, I had random lockup while playing Fallout new vegas. It was not just crash to desktop - it was a total system lockup or crash. Then it happened once while I was surfing and another time when intalling a game. I ran gobs and gobs of prime95, IBT, OCCT, Memtest86+ and nothing, I mean NOTHING, failed. I uninstalled, installed GPU driver, my G15 keyboard software, whatever I could think of. Nothing helped. I finally set it back to stock clock and everything was fine. Realized it was my CPU overclock. I had to start back from scratch and now I am stable since a few months.
So, just to reiterate, save your BIOS settings, put it back to stock and play your game for a few days or weeks. I had to do that to rule out any other thing causing it. Otherwise too many variables to figure out what is causing your crashes.
My system was stock until all these problems started. I added voltage to my DRAM and cpu and lowered the multiplier and raised the FSB because I got better results from that configuration than stock. I can go back to stock if I must but I do not see that fixing anything.

I left my computer on today doing nothing at all but running the minecraft server. I get home about 6 hours later and the system has restarted. I checked the event logs for my system and every BSOD has a different driver as the cause to the restart. Sometimes the system locks up and BSODs to a black screen. I just don't know where to go to start narrowing my options further.

Going to run Metro 2033 by itself and see if anything happens(already in the process of this as posting).

Just loaded up metro 2033 for the 5th time and similar results. The game locks up but I can CTRL ALT DEL out of it and close the game. Going to run the game without any mods.
Edited by Sarec - 2/22/11 at 9:58pm
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarec View Post
My system was stock until all these problems started. I added voltage to my DRAM and cpu and lowered the multiplier and raised the FSB because I got better results from that configuration than stock. I can go back to stock if I must but I do not see that fixing anything.

I left my computer on today doing nothing at all but running the minecraft server. I get home about 6 hours later and the system has restarted. I checked the event logs for my system and every BSOD has a different driver as the cause to the restart. Sometimes the system locks up and BSODs to a black screen. I just don't know where to go to start narrowing my options further.

Going to run Metro 2033 by itself and see if anything happens(already in the process of this as posting).

Just loaded up metro 2033 for the 5th time and similar results. The game locks up but I can CTRL ALT DEL out of it and close the game. Going to run the game without any mods.
Tells us how it goes. You could also try running a Windows repair from the Windows 7 boot DVD or,if all else fails, reinstall the OS. Some of the OS files may be corrupted.
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
mITX Build
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Asus Maximus VI Impact EVGA GTX 680 SuperClocked G.Skill Trident X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital Black (WD4001FZEX) Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001) Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell UltraSharp (U2412M) Ducky Shine II (DK9008S2) SeaSonic Platinum (1000w) CaseLabs Mercury S3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Razer Scarab KRK Rokit G2 (RP6G2) Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Onboard) 2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 1333Mhz 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
LITE-ON 24X iHAS424-9 Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Antec BP550 Plus Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
System seems more stable after lowering my RAM multipler and only running it at 800mhz with the 400mhz fsb.

Seems it might be a ram problem after all. Since minecraft server seems to be the most stressful thing to memory management that I can find. I will be turning it back. Will post here after some testing has been done to see if anything happens, good or bad.
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
System has been stable all day doing everything it should and more. Lost a bit of performance from the lowered ram multiplier but I am okay with that considering it is now stable.
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
Windfall
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium Wifi XFX HD Radeon 6950 SuperTalent 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WADFALS1001 WD Black Edition 1TB x 2 Raid 0 DVD-RW DIE VISTA, Using W7 24Inch 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair 750TX Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › HELP - System crashing