Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [FoxNews] Navy Breaks World Record With Futuristic Free-Electron Laser
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[FoxNews] Navy Breaks World Record With Futuristic Free-Electron Laser - Page 9

post #81 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistum Id;12528280 
I seem to recall some support ship nearby or somewhat off in the distance while I was in the hanger bays. I also remember something about subs never being too far away from the carrier either.
My dad who served on the Enterprise told me they tend to go alone. He was on the flight deck most of the time. They are escorted when they have no planes.
post #82 of 114
Please... learn.. about U.S. Supercarriers and how they work before responding. -______________-

A Supercarrier is not a Battleship. A battleship is a classification of ship. And "an article" wouldn't have much information on what this would be mounted on anyway.

Not to mention I already quoted that THE NEW DDG/LITTORALS ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO USE FEL. NO OTHER SHIP IS AT THIS POINT DESIGNED TO HAVE THE CAPACITOR BANKS / POWER SUPPLY TO USE THESE IN A GIVEN COMBAT SCENARIO.

Having said that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp;12527984 
US carriers use ESSMs, or at least they used to and are now using SM-2s; fairly sure a good portion still use ESSMs. Admiral Kuznetsov employs the SA-N-9 "Gauntlet", and uses 4 clusters of vertical launch tubes rather than turrets like US carriers. Both are relatively long range missiles, though neither is as capable as the SM-3 that some of our cruisers now use (capable of sub-orbital ballistic interception).

U.S. Carriers do not use an SM-2.
The ESSM is not standard.
And either way, even assuming the Carrier FOR WHATEVER reason had the systems installed, say, as a prototype or etc. 2 or 4 missiles does not constitute an ability to defend oneself. At all.

I honestly don't know much about Russian carriers other than that they are rusting in their docks and they were much more heavily armed and armored the the United States equivilants, so I won't ague that.
Though I would note that the SM-3 is not capable, per standard, of anti-satellite missions. That single missile was specifically programmed for that specific mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistum Id;12528169 
Mount it on a carrier? I don't see why not.

Because that's not the job of a carrier, and it does not have the systems required to power an FEL.
Quote:
Usually the President sends an aircraft carrier with-in striking range to a country that is behaving bad. Slap on a big bad laser and let the enemy know about it, the enemy may think twice about getting crazy.

The Carrier does not need an FEL to do that. Besides, being a laser, it would not be able to reach anything of significance compared to the jets on-board.
Quote:
Also in the article, on the left, it says battleships of the future will be equipped with that laser. Battleships equal aircraft carrier. So, I think it's safe to say aircraft carriers could get this super laser.

Battleships, in this day and age, refer to Cruisers and Destroyers, such as the Ticonderoga.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 NVidia 560 RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz 
Hard Drive
SSD/HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 NVidia 560 RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz 
Hard Drive
SSD/HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 114
Iblis: You have obviously never even been on a carrier, and it's also obvious you were not even in the Navy. You should troll elsewhere. There are no other navies in the world that can stand against ours, let alone have the logistics to sustain themselves at sea. The last to do so was the Soviets, and what's left of that navy is hardly worth mentioning. China has enough small ships to put up a good fight, but they do not have the logistics to go far from the Chinese coast. European and Australian navies are a joke, relying on OUR logistics. One carrier could destroy them all at the same time, likely within minutes. Oh, and by the way, CVN's can also carry nuclear weapons. /end.

This laser is already scheduled to be on the new Ford Carrier.
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 114
Imma firin mah lazor!!
Pew pew!!
Bankai!
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 EVGA GTX 760 4gb EVGA GTX 760 4gb 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin ... Western Digital 500gb RE Samsung 830 128gb SSD ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SA... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 Air Cooler Win7 Home Premium 64bit X-Star 2560x1440 Razer Black Widow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Logitech G400 Black Cataclysm Mousepad 
Audio
Stock on Asrock for now. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz ASUS M4A78 Plus BFG 260 OC G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RP Lite-on DVD 22x Windows 7 64bit HP 16:9 20" Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell throw away RAIDMAX QUANTUM RX-700 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V S RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX-868WBP Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
The Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
Bankai!
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 EVGA GTX 760 4gb EVGA GTX 760 4gb 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin ... Western Digital 500gb RE Samsung 830 128gb SSD ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SA... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 Air Cooler Win7 Home Premium 64bit X-Star 2560x1440 Razer Black Widow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Logitech G400 Black Cataclysm Mousepad 
Audio
Stock on Asrock for now. 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz ASUS M4A78 Plus BFG 260 OC G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RP Lite-on DVD 22x Windows 7 64bit HP 16:9 20" Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell throw away RAIDMAX QUANTUM RX-700 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V S RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX-868WBP Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
The Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric;12528962 
Iblis: You have obviously never even been on a carrier, and it's also obvious you were not even in the Navy. You should troll elsewhere. There are no other navies in the world that can stand against ours, let alone have the logistics to sustain themselves at sea. The last to do so was the Soviets, and what's left of that navy is hardly worth mentioning. China has enough small ships to put up a good fight, but they do not have the logistics to go far from the Chinese coast. European and Australian navies are a joke, relying on OUR logistics. One carrier could destroy them all at the same time, likely within minutes. Oh, and by the way, CVN's can also carry nuclear weapons. /end.

This laser is already scheduled to be on the new Ford Carrier.


So because I, like 99% of other members on this forum, haven't served on a carrier, I'm a troll? Nice childish argument there.
And I never said any other navy could. People just started going on a rant about how a single carrier could take on entire nations and I lol'd.
Really? What nuclear weapons would a CVN carry?
Because according to Strike Group commander Rear Admiral John Terence Blake in regards to post-Soviet nuclear armament on CVN's: "The US policy is that we do not routinely deploy nuclear weapons on board Nimitz."

Epic lulz that you make some snide and childish comment about my authority to post on a thread, in response to your COMPLETE DERAILMENT, then you make untrue statements.

And, really? Any sources for the statement about the Ford-class carriers having an FEL? I find that interesting given that the technology is still in prototype phase, we're talking about breaking technologial news, but it'll magically be ready in time for the 2015 debut of the Gerald R. Ford.

Edit: Derp, just saw the comment on the wikipedia page about the FEL being an EXAMPLE UPGRADE for the Ford-class IN THE FUTURE. Some random suggestion on a Wikipedia page without source = "Already scheduled to be included". Lawl. Debating you is entertaining.
Edited by Iblis - 2/26/11 at 5:05am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 NVidia 560 RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz 
Hard Drive
SSD/HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 NVidia 560 RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz 
Hard Drive
SSD/HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 114
Wow, there is a great deal of warmongers on this site frown.gif
Why do we spend so much time and effort trying to kill our fellow human's?
(Rhetorical question, it's all about money)
Chilli sauce
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII 955 BE ASrock M3A770DE Palit GTX 460 Kingston value/HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Barracuda 1TB A black one. Contac 29 Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 Acer 19" Cyborg Antec vp 550 p 
CaseMouse
Antec 900 GXT14 
  hide details  
Reply
Chilli sauce
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhenomII 955 BE ASrock M3A770DE Palit GTX 460 Kingston value/HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Barracuda 1TB A black one. Contac 29 Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 Acer 19" Cyborg Antec vp 550 p 
CaseMouse
Antec 900 GXT14 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iblis;12530787 
So because I, like 99% of other members on this forum, haven't served on a carrier, I'm a troll? Nice childish argument there.
And I never said any other navy could. People just started going on a rant about how a single carrier could take on entire nations and I lol'd.
Really? What nuclear weapons would a CVN carry?
Because according to Strike Group commander Rear Admiral John Terence Blake in regards to post-Soviet nuclear armament on CVN's: "The US policy is that we do not routinely deploy nuclear weapons on board Nimitz."

Epic lulz that you make some snide and childish comment about my authority to post on a thread, in response to your COMPLETE DERAILMENT, then you make untrue statements.

And, really? Any sources for the statement about the Ford-class carriers having an FEL? I find that interesting given that the technology is still in prototype phase, we're talking about breaking technologial news, but it'll magically be ready in time for the 2015 debut of the Gerald R. Ford.

Edit: Derp, just saw the comment on the wikipedia page about the FEL being an EXAMPLE UPGRADE for the Ford-class IN THE FUTURE. Some random suggestion on a Wikipedia page without source = "Already scheduled to be included". Lawl. Debating you is entertaining.

Your limited knowledge is based on the fact you did not serve on a CVN, nor have the security clearance to research accurate information.

I was on the Nimitz. We had nukes. The Admiral can tell you whatever he wants. I've also worked on Admiral's Staff for CCDG5 (Nimitz strike group), and I know about the BS we would send out in our PR. I can tell you as an inside source that this weapon will be on the Ford. Let's face it, you have no business arguing about something you could never hope to know about.

Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMalv;12531024 
Wow, there is a great deal of warmongers on this site frown.gif
Why do we spend so much time and effort trying to kill our fellow human's?
(Rhetorical question, it's all about money)

Because as history shows, it's the one thing humans are really good at, have always been good at and continue to get better at every day.
post #89 of 114
Now we can defend ourselves against aliens and asteroids coolsmiley.png
Master Chieferrr
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 965 - stock clock ASUS M4A87TD EVO GTX 465 - stock clock 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
146GB SAS Cheetah + 1TB F3 Air Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 24" Asus VW246H 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ ModXtreme Pro 600w Cooler Master Centurion 5 Logitech G5 
Audio
Cyber Audio 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Master Chieferrr
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 965 - stock clock ASUS M4A87TD EVO GTX 465 - stock clock 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
146GB SAS Cheetah + 1TB F3 Air Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 24" Asus VW246H 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ ModXtreme Pro 600w Cooler Master Centurion 5 Logitech G5 
Audio
Cyber Audio 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric;12535051 
Your limited knowledge is based on the fact you did not serve on a CVN, nor have the security clearance to research accurate information.

I was on the Nimitz. We had nukes. The Admiral can tell you whatever he wants. I've also worked on Admiral's Staff for CCDG5 (Nimitz strike group), and I know about the BS we would send out in our PR. I can tell you as an inside source that this weapon will be on the Ford. Let's face it, you have no business arguing about something you could never hope to know about.



HAHAHAHAHAHA. XD

"It doesn't matter if you argue with facts and sources, I'm on the internet and I have knowledge you could never hope to have so you're wrong!"

You're ridiculous. And a miserable troll. You're not even debating, you're just saying I can't be right because "you served on a Carrier".
Not to mention how many times you respond with completely extraneous garbage.
"You're wrong because all of these other nations have ****ty carriers!"

Not sure what that has to do with the topic.. but.. okay.

Please grow up.
I'd expect more of our servicemen, if you actually are one.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 NVidia 560 RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz 
Hard Drive
SSD/HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 NVidia 560 RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz 
Hard Drive
SSD/HDD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [FoxNews] Navy Breaks World Record With Futuristic Free-Electron Laser