New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Installing DD-WRT

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I want to install DD-WRT on my linksys wrt54g version 5 but I have no idea how to do this. I've been to their site and read a bit of the instructions. It sounds like its a hassle to do and I don't want to risk bricking my router. Does anyone know where I can find a guide thats easy to follow on how to do this? maybe a DD-WRT for dummies tongue.gif ?

My main reason for wanting dd-wrt is for QoS. My sister streams videos from youtube and other crap that affects my ping so I'd like to limit bandwidth on her end.
Noob Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 4GHZ 1.47v NB 2.8GHZ 1.3v Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P 9600GT 4GB Corsair DHX 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi 500GB Win7 22" 120HZ Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ Microsoft Digital 3000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Cooler Master GX NZXT Apollo MX518SE Steelseries QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
Noob Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 4GHZ 1.47v NB 2.8GHZ 1.3v Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P 9600GT 4GB Corsair DHX 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi 500GB Win7 22" 120HZ Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ Microsoft Digital 3000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Cooler Master GX NZXT Apollo MX518SE Steelseries QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesjr;12476216 
I want to install DD-WRT on my linksys wrt54g version 5 but I have no idea how to do this. I've been to their site and read a bit of the instructions. It sounds like its a hassle to do and I don't want to risk bricking my router. Does anyone know where I can find a guide thats easy to follow on how to do this? maybe a DD-WRT for dummies tongue.gif ?

My main reason for wanting dd-wrt is for QoS. My sister streams videos from youtube and other crap that affects my ping so I'd like to limit bandwidth on her end.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0
25 steps
Ask questions about what you dont understand, I thought the steps were quite self explanatory, but w/e.
post #3 of 11
don't worry i had to go through the same process flashing my WRT54G v6. It's not difficult at all. Only downside is that the v5 and v6 versions after being flashed can not revert back to the original linksys firmware, thus voiding the warranty, if you got any left on these 5 year old routers tongue.gif
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x;12476316 
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0
25 steps
Ask questions about what you dont understand, I thought the steps were quite self explanatory, but w/e.

kk, for starters

Set a static IP on your computer to 192.168.1.7. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

Help on this....on windows 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader;12476501 
don't worry i had to go through the same process flashing my WRT54G v6. It's not difficult at all. Only downside is that the v5 and v6 versions after being flashed can not revert back to the original linksys firmware, thus voiding the warranty, if you got any left on these 5 year old routers tongue.gif

haha yeah I was going to replace it but its still working good so that would be just a waste of money.
Noob Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 4GHZ 1.47v NB 2.8GHZ 1.3v Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P 9600GT 4GB Corsair DHX 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi 500GB Win7 22" 120HZ Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ Microsoft Digital 3000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Cooler Master GX NZXT Apollo MX518SE Steelseries QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
Noob Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 4GHZ 1.47v NB 2.8GHZ 1.3v Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P 9600GT 4GB Corsair DHX 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi 500GB Win7 22" 120HZ Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ Microsoft Digital 3000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Cooler Master GX NZXT Apollo MX518SE Steelseries QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesjr;12476878 
kk, for starters

Set a static IP on your computer to 192.168.1.7. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

Help on this....on windows 7.

right click your ethernet adapter and select properties.
you should be in local area connection properties
highlight internet protocol version 4, click on properties.
fill out all the info on the first page.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader;12477468 
right click your ethernet adapter and select properties.
you should be in local area connection properties
highlight internet protocol version 4, click on properties.
fill out all the info on the first page.

Thanks, will try this and post if I need any more help guys!
Noob Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 4GHZ 1.47v NB 2.8GHZ 1.3v Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P 9600GT 4GB Corsair DHX 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi 500GB Win7 22" 120HZ Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ Microsoft Digital 3000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Cooler Master GX NZXT Apollo MX518SE Steelseries QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
Noob Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 4GHZ 1.47v NB 2.8GHZ 1.3v Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P 9600GT 4GB Corsair DHX 1600MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi 500GB Win7 22" 120HZ Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ Microsoft Digital 3000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Cooler Master GX NZXT Apollo MX518SE Steelseries QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Just make sure to do the 30/30/30 reset! I just flashed the exact same router and version last week, obviously using the guide that s-x linked. Everything worked perfectly.
Black Dog
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel i7 4770K] [Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H] [Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280x] [Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1867 MHz] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Samsung 840 EVO 250GB] [Spinpoint F3 1TB] [Samsung SH-S223Q] [Corsair H110] 
OSMonitorPowerCase
[Windows 8.1 x64] [ASUS VW247H] [Corsair HX620] [Corsair Carbide 500R] 
Audio
[Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini -> Shure SRH940] 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Dog
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel i7 4770K] [Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H] [Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280x] [Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1867 MHz] 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Samsung 840 EVO 250GB] [Spinpoint F3 1TB] [Samsung SH-S223Q] [Corsair H110] 
OSMonitorPowerCase
[Windows 8.1 x64] [ASUS VW247H] [Corsair HX620] [Corsair Carbide 500R] 
Audio
[Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini -> Shure SRH940] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
You should take a look at tomato too. A few years ago when I was flashing my buffalo router I was looking in to firmwares, tomato had a better feature set and cleaner UI.
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Bye Bye 775
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8P67 PRO MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition  2x4gb Ripjaws@1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
840Pro 128 | 3xWD Vraptor | 1.5TB Green LG 6X Blu-ray /HD-DVD combo Win7 Ultimate 64bit 2 x U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX620 Corsair 600t Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justarealguy;12479650 
You should take a look at tomato too. A few years ago when I was flashing my buffalo router I was looking in to firmwares, tomato had a better feature set and cleaner UI.

The WRT54G revsion 5 and up only supports micro dd-wrt. Everything including tomato needs more than flash ram.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
My main reason for wanting dd-wrt is for QoS. My sister streams videos from youtube and other crap that affects my ping so I'd like to limit bandwidth on her end.
What kind of internet speed package do you have?

Also, you have the guide for yours so you're pretty much good to go. Keep in mind that if you ever do this in the future, depending on the router it might have a different set of procedures. Also as it lists, don't generally attempt to flash it over wireless, either.
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security