Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › new keyboard?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new keyboard?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hello!

I have been using this ****ty rubber dome keyboard for a while, and it got a bit dirty so i figured I'm going to clean it. i took off all the keys and spent hours cleaning them(piece of cloth with rubbing alcohol). after that i took the vacuum cleaner to clear out the hairs+dirt from the keyboard. now this is where it went bad. magically(don't ask me how) the vacuum cleaner sucked out some of the rubber pieces that are supposed to make contact. before that i even tried see if they were loose or stuck and i couldn't really get em out so i figured that using the vacuum cleaner was OK. now i tried to find some back but i couldn't really get them all.

so i am typing here now on a "god knows how old" HP keyboard that kind of well.. isn't good and i figured i need a new one.

lately i have heard a lot of people talking about the mechanical keyboards, and why they are nice. now i am really attracted to the tactile feel and the click, the only problem is my budget isn't that big. I am gaming quite a lot, and recently i started WoW so i would like to have some macro keys. i could probably live without back lighting, since i haven't really used it ever so i figure i am not going to miss it . now i got my eyes on the razer black widow.

I am wondering if there is any other competition in the 80 euro(that is what it costs here) branch. also is this keyboard well built(quality) since i expect to keep it for a bit longer than my current one.

thanx in advance!
...
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 Asus P7p55d-e LX(RMA) MSI Nvidia 9800gtx+ Corsair dominator 2x2gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-18  
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 500gb Stock Windows/Linux 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
...
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 Asus P7p55d-e LX(RMA) MSI Nvidia 9800gtx+ Corsair dominator 2x2gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-18  
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 500gb Stock Windows/Linux 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
I'm using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and for the most part it has been a super keyboard. I did run into some problems with my space-bar though. Initially it was striking the alt key on the right pulling it down. I took it off and put some White Lithium grease on the guides it is working a lot better now. It still occasionally comes up slowly but this has never affected the actual switch.

You can see the details of my problem here: http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/8...l#post11689247

Besides that space-bar issue, the back-lighting and tactile response is great. Writing papers on it is a pleasure and I find myself typing much faster than I did on my membrane keyboard. I haven't found the macro keys all that useful yet and their placement is rather strange. My brain seems to equate the keys more with CTRL The only other gripe I have with the keyboard is placement of the USB port and audio jacks on the right side since I tend to use my mouse closer to my keyboard. Others have also complained of the placement of the F Keys being shifted to the right slightly, but I haven't found this overly inconvenient.

I purchased the Blackwidow Ultimate for $130 US, but the non-back-lit goes for $80 US I believe.
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Asus HD6970 Ref. XMS3 12GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128gb, 1.5tb 7200RPM Sony DVD-R Win 8 Pro 64-Bit Syncmaster 2443BWX 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX850 HAF-X Razer Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Goliathus Ext. Sound Blast X-Fi Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Asus HD6970 Ref. XMS3 12GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 128gb, 1.5tb 7200RPM Sony DVD-R Win 8 Pro 64-Bit Syncmaster 2443BWX 16:10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX850 HAF-X Razer Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Goliathus Ext. Sound Blast X-Fi Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
You're just in time to pick up one of these. I'd definitly say that Ducky boards are better quality, but you wont get the back lighting. It's in your price range too, the shipping might make you go over a bit though.
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oedstlych View Post
I'm using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and for the most part it has been a super keyboard. I did run into some problems with my space-bar though. Initially it was striking the alt key on the right pulling it down. I took it off and put some White Lithium grease on the guides it is working a lot better now. It still occasionally comes up slowly but this has never affected the actual switch.

You can see the details of my problem here: http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/8...l#post11689247

Besides that space-bar issue, the back-lighting and tactile response is great. Writing papers on it is a pleasure and I find myself typing much faster than I did on my membrane keyboard. I haven't found the macro keys all that useful yet and their placement is rather strange. My brain seems to equate the keys more with CTRL The only other gripe I have with the keyboard is placement of the USB port and audio jacks on the right side since I tend to use my mouse closer to my keyboard. Others have also complained of the placement of the F Keys being shifted to the right slightly, but I haven't found this overly inconvenient.

I purchased the Blackwidow Ultimate for $130 US, but the non-back-lit goes for $80 US I believe.
i will be going with the regular Blackwidow though, so i am not going to have the audio ports in case i buy it, i wouldnt really use them anyway. the spacebar thingy kind of scared me though, but i figure as a mechanical engineer i would be capable of fixing sth in case it is such an easy fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerkk View Post
You're just in time to pick up one of these. I'd definitly say that Ducky boards are better quality, but you wont get the back lighting. It's in your price range too, the shipping might make you go over a bit though.
it is, sadly, out of my budget. shipping from there costs like $45 alone, add the keyboard and yeah thats about double what i was planning to spend
...
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 Asus P7p55d-e LX(RMA) MSI Nvidia 9800gtx+ Corsair dominator 2x2gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-18  
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 500gb Stock Windows/Linux 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
...
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 Asus P7p55d-e LX(RMA) MSI Nvidia 9800gtx+ Corsair dominator 2x2gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-18  
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 500gb Stock Windows/Linux 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
You should be happy with the regular black widow. I almost went that route but got an Xarmor instead. Here's an review by Manyak on the black widow, enjoy
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
Chii
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L XFX 6850 G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda Samsung F3 WD Green WD essential  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG super multi Tuniq Tower 120 Windows 7 Pro 64bit Acer 23" X233Hbid 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
X-Armor Rosewill RD600N Antec Nine-Hundered modded G500 
Mouse Pad
Anime Chest 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerkk View Post
You should be happy with the regular black widow. I almost went that route but got an Xarmor instead. Here's an review by Manyak on the black widow, enjoy
I saw the reviews,looks great.Besides,I like razer design
post #7 of 8
Consider the XArmor U9BL-S.
post #8 of 8
Razer? I dunno, I hear too many horror stories from it, too much gloss, lack of build quality, etc.. Your call though - personally I would go with the Overclock.net duckys
Virgin Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 875K Asus P7P55-LX Motherboard MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II 4GB OCZ 
MonitorPower
HP 2010i 20" 1600:900 OCZ StealthXStream 500 Watt 
  hide details  
Reply
Virgin Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 875K Asus P7P55-LX Motherboard MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II 4GB OCZ 
MonitorPower
HP 2010i 20" 1600:900 OCZ StealthXStream 500 Watt 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › new keyboard?