Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › Can't get maximum resolution on HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can't get maximum resolution on HDTV - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekaiwei View Post
Even then I still can't get the 1024x768 that it says it can get using PC.
Can you post a screenshot of your nvidia control panel resolution options?
Witty Name Here
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 PNY GTX 560 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
G.Skill Phoenix Pro Seagate Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS VH226H ASUS VH226H Corsair TX750 Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Witty Name Here
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 PNY GTX 560 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
G.Skill Phoenix Pro Seagate Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS VH226H ASUS VH226H Corsair TX750 Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Try hooking your PC to your tv with an HDMI cable.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyap7 View Post
Try hooking your PC to your tv with an HDMI cable.
^this or DVI is fine, but DON'T set the tv as pc input. Thats why you are being delegated a lower res. Use a Standard input.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.2 EVGA SLI3 EVGA GTX 480 SC 6GB Kingston Hyperx 2250 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120gb/80gb Intel g2 asus win7 64 dell 24 s2409w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
some logitech backit slim thing corsair 750 Antec 300 mx5500 
Mouse Pad
ratpad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.2 EVGA SLI3 EVGA GTX 480 SC 6GB Kingston Hyperx 2250 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120gb/80gb Intel g2 asus win7 64 dell 24 s2409w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
some logitech backit slim thing corsair 750 Antec 300 mx5500 
Mouse Pad
ratpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Try: (p11)
-Press the AV key on the remote to display the source list
-Select HD mode which should make the max resolution of 1280x768 available

If you select PC mode, the TV gives the 'optimal resolution' at 1024x768 at 60Hz (p13). This is because most HDTVs only have limited PC support. So, if you use the PC mode, choices of supported resolution get smaller. So, avoid the PC mode if possible.

So, try the HD mode and then try to set/select 1280x768 from NVCP.


BTW, you connect from your card's DVI output to the DVI-I input of the HDTV. This is the best and only connection feasible (according to the manual pdf). Keep it.

I study your descriptions and the manual more carefully now. I am coming to the conclusion that your TV does not support a max of 1280x768. This is because your TV is the 20'' VGA version while 1280x768 only comes from a 23'' WXGA version. The manual is a general manual covering 4 different versions of various sizes.

See the 2 diagrams taken from the manual:
a. Under PC Mode: your 20'' VGA version supports a max of 640x480 (somehow you are getting a little bit more at 720x480, I do not know why)
b. Under HD Mode: your 20'' VGA version supports a max of 720x576 (that is what you are getting)

(I hope I am wrong though as I do wish you can get the 1280x720 works out)


Edited by windfire - 2/23/11 at 7:34am
post #15 of 17
Are you setting up a mirrored setup (same screen on both your pc monitor and the tv) or are you setting up a dual monitor setup?

Most of the time with a mirrored setup, having 2 different monitors with varying resolutions create some issues, mainly you are restricted to the lower of the 2 resolutions.

So when you say 'squished', is it on your tv or your computer monitor? And, you may have to adjust the aspect on your tv. I was doing this with my parents computer and a 32" LCD in their office.. the picture on the PC monitor was fine, but the LCD was squished.. I had to change the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9, which fixed the issue.

besides aspect, sometimes there are other view options, like stretch, panoramic, fisheye, etc (name varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) so make sure you are on 'full' or 16:9.

let us know
Roy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 3.83 and climbing GA-EP45-UD3P 1.1 XFX 5850 4gb G Skill 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 320gb SATA/1tb SATA WIN7 Pro 64bit 22" LG XFX 650w 
CaseMouse
Antec 900 yes 
  hide details  
Reply
Roy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 3.83 and climbing GA-EP45-UD3P 1.1 XFX 5850 4gb G Skill 1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 320gb SATA/1tb SATA WIN7 Pro 64bit 22" LG XFX 650w 
CaseMouse
Antec 900 yes 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Yes for sure have NVidia CP selecting the TV as an HDTV, not a monitor. 1080i will look fuzzy, 'cause your TV is translating it to native res, which is not 1080 tall. As a result, text will suffer, but movies, pictures etc will be correct proportions.

Like I said before though, you can run your native resolution, and go through the WMC setup to correct the proportions of pictures and video. Media Player also has settings for this.
More Cores
(20 items)
 
 
SFF: HADRON
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3930K @ 4.8Ghz offset ASrock X79 Extreme6/GB EVGA GTX680 FTW with EK waterblock EVGA GTX650 for PhysX 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G-Skill 4x4GB DDR3 1866 8-9-9-24@1.5V Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Agility 3 240GB x2 RAID 0 WD 500GB X2 RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Raystorm XSPC Dual Bay reservoir with Alphacool variable... Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Triple 120mm... EK GTX680 FTW waterblock 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate HP tSS-25X11LED 25" 1080p PC Power&Cooling Silentpower 910W Xigmatek Elysium 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder 3500 Rocketfish Creative Sound Core3D Logitech Z5300 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T unlocked to X6 ASUS M4A79XTD Evo Sapphire HD6870 1GB 2x2GB Ripjaws 7-8-7-24 F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD 320GB HDD Lite-On DVD-RW Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 x64 Ultimate OCZ Stealthstream 600W HAF XB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K P8Z77-I MSI 560 Ti TF2 Samsung 20nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M500 Kuhler 620 Windows 7 x64 52" Samsung LED TV 
CaseAudio
EVGA Hadron Air Denon receiver/ Polk audio 
  hide details  
Reply
More Cores
(20 items)
 
 
SFF: HADRON
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3930K @ 4.8Ghz offset ASrock X79 Extreme6/GB EVGA GTX680 FTW with EK waterblock EVGA GTX650 for PhysX 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G-Skill 4x4GB DDR3 1866 8-9-9-24@1.5V Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Agility 3 240GB x2 RAID 0 WD 500GB X2 RAID 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Raystorm XSPC Dual Bay reservoir with Alphacool variable... Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Triple 120mm... EK GTX680 FTW waterblock 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate HP tSS-25X11LED 25" 1080p PC Power&Cooling Silentpower 910W Xigmatek Elysium 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder 3500 Rocketfish Creative Sound Core3D Logitech Z5300 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T unlocked to X6 ASUS M4A79XTD Evo Sapphire HD6870 1GB 2x2GB Ripjaws 7-8-7-24 F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD 320GB HDD Lite-On DVD-RW Corsair H100 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 x64 Ultimate OCZ Stealthstream 600W HAF XB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K P8Z77-I MSI 560 Ti TF2 Samsung 20nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M500 Kuhler 620 Windows 7 x64 52" Samsung LED TV 
CaseAudio
EVGA Hadron Air Denon receiver/ Polk audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post
Try: (p11)
-Press the AV key on the remote to display the source list
-Select HD mode which should make the max resolution of 1280x768 available

If you select PC mode, the TV gives the 'optimal resolution' at 1024x768 at 60Hz (p13). This is because most HDTVs only have limited PC support. So, if you use the PC mode, choices of supported resolution get smaller. So, avoid the PC mode if possible.

So, try the HD mode and then try to set/select 1280x768 from NVCP.


BTW, you connect from your card's DVI output to the DVI-I input of the HDTV. This is the best and only connection feasible (according to the manual pdf). Keep it.

I study your descriptions and the manual more carefully now. I am coming to the conclusion that your TV does not support a max of 1280x768. This is because your TV is the 20'' VGA version while 1280x768 only comes from a 23'' WXGA version. The manual is a general manual covering 4 different versions of various sizes.

See the 2 diagrams taken from the manual:
a. Under PC Mode: your 20'' VGA version supports a max of 640x480 (somehow you are getting a little bit more at 720x480, I do not know why)
b. Under HD Mode: your 20'' VGA version supports a max of 720x576 (that is what you are getting)

(I hope I am wrong though as I do wish you can get the 1280x720 works out)
Ahh I see. In that case, what are the requirements for WXGA?

Quote:
Are you setting up a mirrored setup (same screen on both your pc monitor and the tv) or are you setting up a dual monitor setup?

Most of the time with a mirrored setup, having 2 different monitors with varying resolutions create some issues, mainly you are restricted to the lower of the 2 resolutions.

So when you say 'squished', is it on your tv or your computer monitor? And, you may have to adjust the aspect on your tv. I was doing this with my parents computer and a 32" LCD in their office.. the picture on the PC monitor was fine, but the LCD was squished.. I had to change the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9, which fixed the issue.

besides aspect, sometimes there are other view options, like stretch, panoramic, fisheye, etc (name varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) so make sure you are on 'full' or 16:9.

let us know
I've only tried with single monitor setup.

Quote:
Yes for sure have NVidia CP selecting the TV as an HDTV, not a monitor. 1080i will look fuzzy, 'cause your TV is translating it to native res, which is not 1080 tall. As a result, text will suffer, but movies, pictures etc will be correct proportions.

Like I said before though, you can run your native resolution, and go through the WMC setup to correct the proportions of pictures and video. Media Player also has settings for this.
I guess I'll just use it to watch videos then.
Gaming Beast
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4430 MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr OC Corsair Value Select 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda LiteOn IHAS124-14 24x SATA Internal DVD-RW / DV... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 22" Samsung S22A200B Widescreen LED Monitor Iiyama PLX436S 17" Microsoft SIdewinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
450W Coolermaster GX 80 Plus EZCOOL Mesh Design Mid Tower Case Razr DeathAdder Razr Goliathus 
Audio
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsOS
i7 4700HQ MSI MS-16H2 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Microsoft Windows 8.1 
KeyboardPowerAudio
Steelseries 6-Cell Li-Polymer(4840mAh 52Wh) Sound by Dynaudio, Support 7.1 channel S/PDIF o... 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Beast
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4430 MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr OC Corsair Value Select 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda LiteOn IHAS124-14 24x SATA Internal DVD-RW / DV... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 22" Samsung S22A200B Widescreen LED Monitor Iiyama PLX436S 17" Microsoft SIdewinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
450W Coolermaster GX 80 Plus EZCOOL Mesh Design Mid Tower Case Razr DeathAdder Razr Goliathus 
Audio
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsOS
i7 4700HQ MSI MS-16H2 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 Microsoft Windows 8.1 
KeyboardPowerAudio
Steelseries 6-Cell Li-Polymer(4840mAh 52Wh) Sound by Dynaudio, Support 7.1 channel S/PDIF o... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › Can't get maximum resolution on HDTV