Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] Sony Forming Anti-Piracy Program
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[IGN] Sony Forming Anti-Piracy Program - Page 11

post #101 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedINC View Post
By your logic a game will be an automatic best seller just because Blizz touches it. Failed logic is failed.
Not because they touch it. Because of their reputation. I'm not in any way suggesting Blizzard just waves some magic wand. They have a talented dev team that takes their time in getting things right. They have a proven track record and Starcraft is a famous game series. My point was it's a popular enough title from a big enough developer that despite piracy it still sold well because there were enough people willing to shell out cash. Less known and indie devs. don't always have the luxury of an established image. For instance, World of Goo, an Indie title had a 90% piracy rate, despite being a very well made game.

So some peoples arguments that the reason they pirate is because the games they steal are poor quality is an inconsistent lie. People pirate because they can, any other justifications are for the most part empty.
Edited by [\/]Paris - 2/25/11 at 11:51pm
World Builder 2.0
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ASUS GTX560ti (384c) G.Skill Ares 16GB  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 + OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 + Samsun... CM Hyper 212 Plus Win7 Pro Asus 23" + Samsung 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM QuickFire Rapid (Black Switch) Corsair TX750w Corsair 500r (Black) Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
World Builder 2.0
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ASUS GTX560ti (384c) G.Skill Ares 16GB  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 + OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 + Samsun... CM Hyper 212 Plus Win7 Pro Asus 23" + Samsung 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM QuickFire Rapid (Black Switch) Corsair TX750w Corsair 500r (Black) Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 168
All I gotta say about the whole Sony thing is...

Who cares?

I wouldn't buy their overly priced piece of junk console anyway...
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
The Rock
(15 items)
 
  
Reply
post #103 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
except that's false. You can't unban or ban PS3 accounts using some "hacker software". That was simply speculation (if you can even call it that) done by some faker who has constantly fed false PS3 hack news for the past several years. Looks like he tricked everyone again - ha ha.
you know most of the people here are going to keep repeating the same crap because they didn't read the thread/article on the issue.
post #104 of 168
I don't even like Sony mp3 players. Requiring a proprietary USB cable and a resource-hogging unstable sync program. I'm not sad I crushed it against my car door...
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 168
Interesting thing is, game sales are growing exponentially every year, as are profits. If piracy was harming the industry as much as people say, one would think that loss of profits would actually be curtailing development. Yet this doesn't seem to be the case.
When was the last time you heard a game dev explain that a project was canceled because of rampant piracy?
Also, indie games and smaller devs and publishers seem to be doing better than ever. For every World of Goo, there is a Plants Vs. Zombies. And look at Frictional. 200k units sold at $19 or less, and now they are rich because they didn't mess around with a greedy publisher.
And console exclusivity isn't quite limited to PC piracy either. GoW2, RDR, etc. These games are not being ported due to lots of money exchanging hands, not because of possible lost sales.
I liken this as a paradigm shift sort of like what music went through. Sure, record companies are losing out, and superstars are fewer and fewer, but the sheer volume of new artists all getting smaller shares of the pie has grown enormously.
Just my 2 cents, and not just some justification for rampant piracy.
Blue Fury
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8 6600k asus Sapphire 290X Tri-OCX 4GB 2x4 (8)GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZVertex3 60GB Seagate 1TB WD 500GB Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 850 ASUS DVDRW24x Corsair H100 W10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
55" 4k Hisense Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Corsair CX750 AzzA Hurrican 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 3500 Diablo3 RoS LE onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Fury
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8 6600k asus Sapphire 290X Tri-OCX 4GB 2x4 (8)GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZVertex3 60GB Seagate 1TB WD 500GB Samsung 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo 850 ASUS DVDRW24x Corsair H100 W10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
55" 4k Hisense Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Corsair CX750 AzzA Hurrican 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 3500 Diablo3 RoS LE onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by [\\/]Paris View Post
Not because they touch it. Because of their reputation. I'm not in any way suggesting Blizzard just waves some magic wand. They have a talented dev team that takes their time in getting things right. They have a proven track record and Starcraft is a famous game series. My point was it's a popular enough title from a big enough developer that despite piracy it still sold well because there were enough people willing to shell out cash. Less known and indie devs. don't always have the luxury of an established image. For instance, World of Goo, an Indie title had a 90% piracy rate, despite being a very well made game.

So some peoples arguments that the reason they pirate is because the games they steal are poor quality is an inconsistent lie. People pirate because they can, any other justifications are for the most part empty.
No it just proves that pirated copy =/= from lost sale. It also proves that when most people say they are pirating just to try the game they are saying the truth. This is the most plausible way of explaining the figures. Had it been most selling game of the year AND not very pirated, then it would have proven your point, that piracy is hurting the industry (and at the same time disprove the point I just said.)

You can deny it all you want, and talk ideals, but most people pirate the game, play it for a little, and either delete it for not liking it, or go buy the game. Nobody will bother downloading 7-15gbs for a game they know is crappy.

Whether or not this is justified is purely opinion.
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
So who died and gave Sony police powers?

Nobody?


I thought so. Sony needs to just sit down, have a coke, play some GT5, and let the FBI do their job. It is not, it never has been, and it never will be, the company's job to police a damn thing. They aren't the police, they have no police powers, so they should have no right to do any policing.

Sony has the right to police their OS however they choose if someone doesn't like it then they can use something besides Sony.
DLDS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD x3 720BE ASUS M4A79 Deluxe HIS 5870 2x2 G Geil Black Dragon 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
160 gig wd Vista Ult 64 Hannspree 22" ws GE 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 650TX Xclio A380 logitech mx 310 
  hide details  
Reply
DLDS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD x3 720BE ASUS M4A79 Deluxe HIS 5870 2x2 G Geil Black Dragon 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
160 gig wd Vista Ult 64 Hannspree 22" ws GE 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 650TX Xclio A380 logitech mx 310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Highly unlikely.

Good on Sony. I'm glad to see a company actually getting some balls when it comes to this stuff. Pirates need to be stopped.
They shouldn't be trying to fix it this way though, it won't work, everything will be cracked easily and if worst comes to worst, disconnect PS3 from the internet.

Instead, they should offer stuff you can only get by buying the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post
so why has it taken almost 5 years for someone to crack a ps3
Because they only seriously tried to crack it for about a year and a bit, I'm pretty sure there were other cracks but only the PSP has had a worse security hole than the PS3s current one.

I'm going to laugh hard if Geohot applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinxe View Post
Wrong. I don't understand why everyone continues to think this. The PS3 has been a target for a long time, and they have been trying to crack it since the beginning. There were ton of security exploits through the OtherOS, which is why it was removed. Once it was removed, it made it even harder to crack the PS3, which then it gained more attention to hackers. Then, after 9 months it was blown open.

tl;dr: PS3 took its entire lifetime to be cracked, long before OtherOS was removed.
The cracking attempts were not serious though, nor were they looking for the hole they found at first.

What you're saying essentially is that Minecraft was harder to develop than say, Halo 3, because Minecraft will probably take more time to get to full release, even though its only recently that more than one person worked on Minecraft and Halo 3 had (To quote Yahtzee) "[a large enough] design team to found a small island nation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
Plenty of people, including GeoHot, have been trying to break the PS3 since it launched.


And whether the amount of people trying to hack the PS3 was large or not, it doesn't matter...I'm sure Richard Stallman alone would be able to code a program faster than half the people on this forum put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
How are their game titles lacking? Where have you been since the PS3 launched?
I agree that 1st party titles are lacking, Uncharted as a series is horribly over-rated, GT5 is not as fun as Forza 3 (Although updates are fixing that slowly), LBP is one of the only ones that isn't beaten at all, MGS is fun but really much of a game IMO and I can't think of any others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
Either way it's BS. Look at Starcraft 2. Both best selling game of 2010 AND most pirated game of 2010. Something stinks, and it sure isn't piracy.
A lot of that "piracy" was people who bought it online trying to get faster speeds DLing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post
I still don't understand? Everyone keeps saying the PS3 was hacked because they removed OtherOS... but the reason OtherOS was removed was because Geohotz was using it as a means to hack the PS3.

The only reason OtherOS has gone was because it was being used as a means to take apart the console.
As far as I know OtherOS was only being hacked to gain control of the RSX inside OtherOS, not for piracy, Sony could have just patched the hole in the hypervisor and let hackers use the RSX to help make games, but instead they removed it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [\\/]Paris View Post
You keep using excuse like they're lying about it. What? Do you think some developers wanted to pull out of PC Gaming?? The only reason some have left is that they felt it wasn't worth the cost to them. It damages console sales too because people download the game on PC and don't feel the need to grab it on console.

If the companies that pulled out felt they could make a profit on PC then they'd still be there.

And of course Starcraft 2 is the best selling game of the year. It's Blizzard for goodness sake. Just because they had enough sales to offset the rampant piracy going on doesn't mean piracy isn't a problem O_o
Most companies that pull out of PC gaming do so for two reasons, "Piracy" (In other words, bad sales apart from a few games that are just pirated a crapload like World of Goo) or to be cheap/PC not giving enough sales, usually both of these are some other reason (Eg. A crap game, crap port, etc) with piracy as a scapegoat so they have a legitimate reason. (Rather than saying "We can't really be bothered porting to PC", they just say "PC gaming has too many pirates.")

It's proven by logic, really, if piracy was a real problem then a lot of PS3 games would be canned right now, PSP would have no new game releases and Sony probably would have dropped support a while ago and even the Xbox 360 and Wii would have developers concerned.

Yes, Piracy is a problem, it's a problem on the same scale as say, the heat production of a GT430, it isn't that big of a problem except in very rare circumstances, does this justify people pirating? No, it doesn't, however it isn't as much of a problem as developers and "White Knights" say it is.
My system
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.7Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB Pioneer DVR-220LBKS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 600w Lian Li Lancool PC-K60 SteelSeries Sensei Professional Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large 
AudioOther
ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.7Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB Pioneer DVR-220LBKS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 600w Lian Li Lancool PC-K60 SteelSeries Sensei Professional Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large 
AudioOther
ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 168
I'm so tired of people justifying piracy I want to throw up, everyone says they pirate games that they wouldn't buy anyway, then if you aren't interested in those games just don't play them, nothing in the world can justify theft, and why if people only pirate crap games (why would they even bother then if the game is crap) quality games like Starcraft are pirated ?

All pirates are scum, don't try to justify what you are doing, you are killing PC gaming and then crying when we get less and less games.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post
I'm so tired of people justifying piracy I want to throw up, everyone says they pirate games that they wouldn't buy anyway, then if you aren't interested in those games just don't play them, nothing in the world can justify theft, and why if people only pirate crap games (why would they even bother then if the game is crap) quality games like Starcraft are pirated ?

All pirates are scum, don't try to justify what you are doing, you are killing PC gaming and then crying when we get less and less games.
If you were addressing my posts with your reply then please read them more thoroughly as I answer your question.
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [IGN] Sony Forming Anti-Piracy Program