Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › first build: ~$1000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

first build: ~$1000

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
hello everyone, i'd like to start off saying that this is my first time looking into building my own desktop and even after a week straight of researching, im still unsure about some specifics. I have heard good and bad things about everything it seems, and i cant decide on what i need to go after...as my title states, im trying to keep the expense at or around 1k, and based on that it seems maybe i should try for an amd build? im thinking about starting with:
[MSI 890FXA-GD70] mobo and building off that..also, is
[AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz] a good graphics card for a budget build? and about ram - what is the better brands out there that are compatible with the previous components?

finally, i dont plan to be storing too much data on my desktop because it is going to be mostly for gaming, so should i step away from HDD and go with the SSD?

im open to any and all suggestions and tips, just keep in mind that im not expecting amazing performance, i just want a machine that can run smoothly with games such as wow, starcraft 2, and later - battlefield 3 (also, need to keep it very close to $1k)

o, and sorry for the novel..i tend to write alot
post #2 of 28
If you're ok with going with Intel instead of AMD here is a quick budget build I threw together yesterday, with a few options available for some parts.
Figured I'd post it to see if you were interested.

<$25 Optical Drive

~$60 Computer Case

640GB HDD

~$130 PSU

<$100 DDR3 1600 6GB

<$180 X58 mobo

i7 950

GTX 460
Edited by VanillaCena - 2/23/11 at 10:02pm
post #3 of 28
$1000 is a great budget for a gaming rig. it looks like your off to a pretty good start on parts. but if your going to use msi board...go with the gd65. better power phase.
always changing
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k msi z97i-ack MSI r9 290 2x8 corsair 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
m4 128  wd 1tb black noctua u9s win7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
benq 2420z corsair  coolermaster v650 rosewell neutron 
MouseMouse PadAudio
rival 300 razer  corsair sp2500 
  hide details  
Reply
always changing
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k msi z97i-ack MSI r9 290 2x8 corsair 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
m4 128  wd 1tb black noctua u9s win7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
benq 2420z corsair  coolermaster v650 rosewell neutron 
MouseMouse PadAudio
rival 300 razer  corsair sp2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlin9229 View Post
hello everyone, i'd like to start off saying that this is my first time looking into building my own desktop and even after a week straight of researching, im still unsure about some specifics. I have heard good and bad things about everything it seems, and i cant decide on what i need to go after...as my title states, im trying to keep the expense at or around 1k, and based on that it seems maybe i should try for an amd build? im thinking about starting with:
[MSI 890FXA-GD70] mobo and building off that..also, is
[AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz] a good graphics card for a budget build? and about ram - what is the better brands out there that are compatible with the previous components?

finally, i dont plan to be storing too much data on my desktop because it is going to be mostly for gaming, so should i step away from HDD and go with the SSD?

im open to any and all suggestions and tips, just keep in mind that im not expecting amazing performance, i just want a machine that can run smoothly with games such as wow, starcraft 2, and later - battlefield 3 (also, need to keep it very close to $1k)

o, and sorry for the novel..i tend to write alot
Well, a Phenom II is not a graphics card, it's a processor (CPU). And it's great.

As for an SSD--they are awesome as an operating system/application drive. That said, you should get a large HDD to store all of your games and media.

Grab a nice graphics card, like maybe a 5870. As for RAM, I've liked Kingston, others like GSkill. Let's see if Xd chimes in...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8120 ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX 2 x Asus 5770 CuCore 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1800Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
64 GB Kingston V-Series Err, 10 Gallons of Mineral Oil and a Automotive... Windows 7 x64 SP1 24" Asus LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 600W Seasonic Aquarium with ~10 gallons of mineral oil Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8120 ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX 2 x Asus 5770 CuCore 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1800Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
64 GB Kingston V-Series Err, 10 Gallons of Mineral Oil and a Automotive... Windows 7 x64 SP1 24" Asus LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 600W Seasonic Aquarium with ~10 gallons of mineral oil Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 28
get a 570 , I also recommend you stick to nvidia and intel because your budget allows it.

i5 + gtx 570 = ftw!!
I love Corsair
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon E5645 OC'd 4GHZ EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2) Palit + Gigabyte GTX 580 3GB in SLI 12GB Corsair XMS3 + 12GB Patriot 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x Intel 510 in RAID for boot + 4TB for storage Blu Ray combo drive from samsung Windows 7 "pro" 3x Asus VEH467 with trifxstand + LG IPS  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Blackwidow Ultimate Strider 1k Silver 800D G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Miniature rug Some 100$ sound card my dad used to own. 
  hide details  
Reply
I love Corsair
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon E5645 OC'd 4GHZ EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2) Palit + Gigabyte GTX 580 3GB in SLI 12GB Corsair XMS3 + 12GB Patriot 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4x Intel 510 in RAID for boot + 4TB for storage Blu Ray combo drive from samsung Windows 7 "pro" 3x Asus VEH467 with trifxstand + LG IPS  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Blackwidow Ultimate Strider 1k Silver 800D G500 
Mouse PadAudio
Miniature rug Some 100$ sound card my dad used to own. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
ok, i was really wanting intel deep down but i didnt think i could get something as good as the AMD counterpart within my budget..and wildcatwhiz, i know the phenom is a processor...i just wasnt thinking as i was typing that =P..thanks for not making fun of me though haha...and also, i looked into gskill for ram and saw that it had compatability issues with my current mobo..but maybe i didnt find the right one..and is it a good idea to have an HDD and SSD? why not put games on the SSD? would that not make them load/run smoother and be a little quicker overall?
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCena View Post
If you're ok with going with Intel instead of AMD here is a quick budget build I threw together yesterday, with a few options available for some parts.
Figured I'd post it to see if you were interested.

<$25 Optical Drive

~$60 Computer Case

640GB HDD

~$130 PSU

<$100 DDR3 1600 6GB

<$180 X58 mobo

i7 950

GTX 460
I'd stick with amd for this build.. not being a fanboy but I just think at this price range amd can will provide you with a bigger bang for you buck when it comes to gaming.
I'd go with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112238

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152181

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130269

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102921

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371025

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231275

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103849

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231377

$980 before tax and shipping but you could always remove the ssd because it's not going to improve gaming performance.
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
so if the ssd doesnt help gaming, why get it? ive heard it makes booting up really fast, but what other applications would one use it for?
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlin9229 View Post
so if the ssd doesnt help gaming, why get it? ive heard it makes booting up really fast, but what other applications would one use it for?
It makes all applications faster. Most will boot instantly if they're installed on the SSD. It makes for a nice speed boost overall, you wouldn't be disappointed.
World Builder 2.0
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ASUS GTX560ti (384c) G.Skill Ares 16GB  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 + OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 + Samsun... CM Hyper 212 Plus Win7 Pro Asus 23" + Samsung 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM QuickFire Rapid (Black Switch) Corsair TX750w Corsair 500r (Black) Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
World Builder 2.0
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 ASUS GTX560ti (384c) G.Skill Ares 16GB  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 + OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 + Samsun... CM Hyper 212 Plus Win7 Pro Asus 23" + Samsung 19" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM QuickFire Rapid (Black Switch) Corsair TX750w Corsair 500r (Black) Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlin9229 View Post
so if the ssd doesnt help gaming, why get it? ive heard it makes booting up really fast, but what other applications would one use it for?
There are tons of programs that would benefit by using an SSD. It doesnt help much with gaming performance, but it helps load games alot faster.

Just do a lil research and see if its right for you.
rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K  ASUS Z97-A ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix OC 16 DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1GB  none Windows 7 64bit BenQ XL2720Z @144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750W IN WIN  Logitech G502 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 
  hide details  
Reply
rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K  ASUS Z97-A ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix OC 16 DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1GB  none Windows 7 64bit BenQ XL2720Z @144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair HX750W IN WIN  Logitech G502 
Mouse Pad
Corsair MM300 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › first build: ~$1000