Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Sandy Bridge build Need help/advice all opinions appreciated!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sandy Bridge build Need help/advice all opinions appreciated!!! - Page 7

post #61 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
should fit because those sticks dont seem to have any huge heatsinks on them

psu is overkill

tx750 is adequate, saves you like 60 bucks compared to ax750.

think about it, how much of a load are you ACTUALLY putting on the psu? will that increased efficiency save you 60 or so bucks a year to make it a good investment? the tx750 and the tpn750 i linked below are better buys.

this case too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146067

up to you tho

edit: good deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.612974
DO NOT go with the TX over the AX unless money is absolutely a deciding factor. The AX is gold rated and modular.
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #62 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
DO NOT go with the TX over the AX unless money is absolutely a deciding factor. The AX is gold rated and modular.
Thank you guys all for the input....it is all going to help greatly in my decisions.

Cyb0rg what do you think about
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...868&CatId=2533
AND
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...085&CatId=1510

I really like the storm scout case though. If everything could fit fine in that i would rather go that route?.....What do you think about that power supply though?

Also what do you think about the motherboard selection Cyb0rg?

On the recommendation for the gtx 570/580....isn't the 6950 a good price/performance card at this time especially since it can be flashed to the 6970?....it seems a 580 is almost an overkill?
Edited by skeletor6 - 3/5/11 at 5:28pm
NuCleOpHilIcIty
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7950 AVEXIR Standard Series 8gb 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Spinpoint F3 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate (linux HTPC possibility) 32" LG LD450 IPS Logitech MK550 
PowerCase
XFX 750w Black Edition CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
NuCleOpHilIcIty
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7950 AVEXIR Standard Series 8gb 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Spinpoint F3 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate (linux HTPC possibility) 32" LG LD450 IPS Logitech MK550 
PowerCase
XFX 750w Black Edition CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
DO NOT go with the TX over the AX unless money is absolutely a deciding factor. The AX is gold rated and modular.
Well modular might help, but so what about the gold rating? the tx's efficiency is good enough for his purposes....

you make the TX seem like it's a bad psu.

edit: the xfx psu is a good choice. very good psu for the price. built off of seasonic
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
Well modular might help, but so what about the gold rating? the tx's efficiency is good enough for his purposes....

you make the TX seem like it's a bad psu.

edit: the xfx psu is a good choice. very good psu for the price. built off of seasonic
The TX isn't a bad PSU. But it's an old one. As for efficiency -- even if he didn't save $60 in energy costs, the components required to hit a gold rating are of higher quality and in theory, should last longer/be more robust than those of your standard bronze or less rated PSU.

edit: that particular XFX PSU is indeed a pretty decent one for the price. And the HAF 932 is a great case. I have one along with my scout. My next build will be going in it (started with a scout, moved to HAF 932 and then back to scout because of constantly transporting computer places)
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #65 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
The TX isn't a bad PSU. But it's an old one. As for efficiency -- even if he didn't save $60 in energy costs, the components required to hit a gold rating are of higher quality and in theory, should last longer/be more robust than those of your standard bronze or less rated PSU.

edit: that particular XFX PSU is indeed a pretty decent one for the price. And the HAF 932 is a great case. I have one along with my scout. My next build will be going in it (started with a scout, moved to HAF 932 and then back to scout because of constantly transporting computer places)
indeed, but his original 1100 budget is getting demolished.

and in theory, it would be better, but there's been a lot of people running the tx series for awhile with no problem, and dont get me wrong, the psu is the heart of a rig, but he doesnt have to spend that much on something like that.

in the end, it'd save him money.

id grab the xfx psu if you can stand the color.

the scout is definitely good for transportation due to the handles on it. the sniper is too, but scout is smaller...the sniper is pretty big.

if you're into the look of the haf series, then go for it. i dont like it imo.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
indeed, but his original 1100 budget is getting demolished.

and in theory, it would be better, but there's been a lot of people running the tx series for awhile with no problem, and dont get me wrong, the psu is the heart of a rig, but he doesnt have to spend that much on something like that.

in the end, it'd save him money.

id grab the xfx psu if you can stand the color.

the scout is definitely good for transportation due to the handles on it. the sniper is too, but scout is smaller...the sniper is pretty big.

if you're into the look of the haf series, then go for it. i dont like it imo.
I can agree with that.

Yeah, my scout isn't a lightweight fully loaded either, but it's a lot more manageable than a fully loaded HAF 932
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #67 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cyb0rg View Post
I can agree with that.

Yeah, my scout isn't a lightweight fully loaded either, but it's a lot more manageable than a fully loaded HAF 932
Yeah, my sniper is a heavyweight with all my stuff in it.

when i took everything out, i was surprised to see how light it was!

but yeah the 932 is spacious, the scout is manageable. phantom is nice for a clean look, but i dont like the front door.

hmm, what else...lancool has soem good cases.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
Yeah, my sniper is a heavyweight with all my stuff in it.

when i took everything out, i was surprised to see how light it was!

but yeah the 932 is spacious, the scout is manageable. phantom is nice for a clean look, but i dont like the front door.

hmm, what else...lancool has soem good cases.
agreed. I like the Corsair Graphite too. A nice, clean case. The Antec LanBoy is interesting with it's countless configuration options, though looks like it would be fairly loud with the lack of solid metal.
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Jarvis
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #69 of 105
yeah the obsidian series is smexy, but price is high and not that good for aircooling. 650d was supposed to help with that, but i havent read up.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 4.5 1.25v Maximus Iv Extreme Unlocked 6950 @ 976gpu Ridgeback 6-8-6-20-1T @1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
C300 64GB + 320GB WD +1TB Blacks Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343BWX (2048x1152) OCZ ElitexStream 800w 
CaseMouse
Lian Li V2000 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer11 View Post
Oh yeah the real reason I wanted to post here is to recommend
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...868&CatId=2533
Just got mine yesterday. It's a really good PSU it's almost 80+ Gold certified and it's recommended on the PSU subforum here on OCN.
http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...mendation.html
Also as for cases why get a mid tower when you can get a full tower and have more room for cooling.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...085&CatId=1510
( but hey that's just me and how I'd spend 20 more bucks)
That case has clearance for anything that doesn't exceed 6" above the motherboard.
As I said earlier.
Plus my RAM, PSU, GFX Card, HAF 932, Mobo, CPU, and CPU cooler, plus case fans and such were only ~$950 if he skimps on the GFX and using a less powerful one he could opt for a 2600k and be about the same price as mine. I'm thinking I'm going to regret not getting the 2600k in the long run though being a fansub encoder and all >v< (at least it's 2-3x faster than my old rig at stock speeds and I have a fermi for folding when it's not in use) too bad I can't return my 2500k to the store and get a 2600k

And as far as looks unless your are extremely picky (mainly for us overclockers) you won't care about colors and even then you won't see the parts much if your not an OCer
Edited by phazer11 - 3/5/11 at 9:57pm
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3630QM NVIDIA GTX 670MX  DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM 1TB 5400 RPM HGST Travelstar HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB Super-Multi DVD Writer Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 17.3" HD LED-Backlit Display 
Mouse
Touchpad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Sandy Bridge build Need help/advice all opinions appreciated!!!