Overclock.net banner

Upgrade to 2600k?

424 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Eduardv 
#1 ·
Hey guys, due to unfortunate circumstances my current rig has become water damaged. It seems a curious child yanked one of my tubes off my rad, which leaked into the rig. Thankfully it wasn't running at the time so it seems that only my motherboard and GPU have taken damage.

So now I have the task of rebuilding my system and I am thinking of grabbing a 2600k CPU/Mobo instead of just replacing my x58 board. My i7 920 has never been stable past 4.2Ghz and ran really hot while doing that.

For the price to performance ratio would I be better off just sticking with my current platform or "upgrading" to the new b3 p67?

#2 ·
Not worth it for you at this point, the upgrade would be minimal at best. Your better off spending the money on a new GPU.

edit: get a SSD in there too! your missing out! Huge difference.

#4 ·
There will be some electricity left running thought it though.

But, OP, have you tried to troubleshoot it?

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by strap624;12536793
Not worth it for you at this point, the upgrade would be minimal at best. Your better off spending the money on a new GPU.

edit: get a SSD in there too! your missing out! Huge difference.
I plan on buying a new GPU as well and possibly a SSD or two, along with my chassis. This gives me a good reason to perform a full upgrade, so why not? So if I am buying a new GPU anyway, is it still not worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kora04;12536834
There will be some electricity left running thought it though.

But, OP, have you tried to troubleshoot it?
I have but only to a short extent. I am currently away from home to attend some training for a few months (Army). Initially the motherboard would not even power on, but had all the power LEDs on. After letting it sit for a while longer I tried again and it would power on, but won't boot into windows.
I am getting the infinite rotation of BSoDs. The GPU also doesn't display 80% of the time making it even harder to troubleshoot.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by str8maniac
View Post

So money doesn't matter, I just want to upgrade. What should I do?

go on newegg.com and choose the most expensive crap you can find. if money doesnt matter, why not ...

you set yourself up for that one

on a serious note.

id grab a 2600k / 580 / 8gb ddr3 1600 / 850w psu / 2 x c300 128gb ssds / 1tb backup drive / case and such to your liking.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman1985
View Post

go on newegg.com and choose the most expensive crap you can find. if money doesnt matter, why not ...

you set yourself up for that one

on a serious note.

id grab a 2600k / 580 / 8gb ddr3 1600 / 850w psu / 2 x c300 128gb ssds / 1tb backup drive / case and such to your liking.

It's cool, I just want the best and that doesn't always equal out to be the most expensive crap lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.