Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › what does scaling mean?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what does scaling mean?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
i know this probably sounds dumb, but what does it mean when someone says two cards scale well together. the situation im referring to would be two cards in sli. Like my 2x gtx 460's in sli in my sig rig. and what does it mean when someone says a card stopped scaling after a certain frequency. Ive also heard people use this term when referring to cpu overclocking as well.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k p8p67 deluxe reference gtx 680 Ripjaws(blue)1866, 8-9-8-24-2t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
c300, 2X WD CAVAIAR BLACK 640GB RAID 0 LG Bluray/Dvd Rewriter 7 Ult Gateway 24" lcd 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Lycosa Corsair 750w tx Cooler Master HAF 932 black g9 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k p8p67 deluxe reference gtx 680 Ripjaws(blue)1866, 8-9-8-24-2t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
c300, 2X WD CAVAIAR BLACK 640GB RAID 0 LG Bluray/Dvd Rewriter 7 Ult Gateway 24" lcd 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Lycosa Corsair 750w tx Cooler Master HAF 932 black g9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
If you have two video cards running in tandem (SLI or Crossfire), you might expect to get 2x the performance in games. It almost never works that way. Instead, you might get anywhere from 1x to near 2x performance, depending on the specific game, settings, drivers, etc. Closer to 2x with two cards would be an example of "good" scaling.

CPU scaling usually refers to the performance increase you get from overclocking. As with video cards, you might expect to get 20% better performance if you OC by 20%, but you might only get 10% because of other factors. Good scaling is when the performance you get is close to the clock speed increase.
post #3 of 9
its where, 2 card are closer to 100 % bump. Like 2 460 = 480 , the scaling in the 4XX and 5XX cards are great, Menaing over 80% Bump. in ati cards was like 50% bump (till 6XXX), so bad scaling in like single card 60 fps. but sli/crossfire 70-80 fps.
Dyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
Dyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Scaling is relative increase in real performance metrics (i.e. FPS, benchmarking scores etc) relative to the increase in nominal metrics (i.e. core clock, memory clock, number of cards).

When two cards scale well it means that the 100% increase in hardware equates to a near 100% increase in performance.

When talking about overclocking it means a 50% increase in core clock will equate to at or near a 50% increase in performance.

When talking about silicon architectures it can be used in reference to increase in performance due to a relative increase in the number of transistors, cores, clock speed, etc.

If a card stop scaling it would be like what happened to Intel's Netbust architecture in that adding more MHZ wasn't giving them commensurate gains in performance or adding more transistors hit a wall in terms of thermals etc. Or it can mean that for instance after 900MHZ a given card shows a diminishing return in performance (i.e. each additional 5% in core clock only yields a 1% increase in performance where as a 5% increase on 800MHZ yielded a 4% increase in performance.).
Sandy Bridge-E
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930K C2 4.8GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme NVidia GTX480 SLI NVidia GTX480 SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws-X 32GB Crucial M4 128 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda Green Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 SP1 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Dell U2211H Topre Realforce 86UB Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster HAF-X Steelseries Xai Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar STX 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2.3Ghz GT 650m 8GB 256GB Samsung SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Bridge-E
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930K C2 4.8GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme NVidia GTX480 SLI NVidia GTX480 SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws-X 32GB Crucial M4 128 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda Green Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 SP1 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Dell U2211H Topre Realforce 86UB Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster HAF-X Steelseries Xai Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar STX 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2.3Ghz GT 650m 8GB 256GB Samsung SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec View Post
If you have two video cards running in tandem (SLI or Crossfire), you might expect to get 2x the performance in games. It almost never works that way. Instead, you might get anywhere from 1x to near 2x performance, depending on the specific game, settings, drivers, etc. Closer to 2x with two cards would be an example of "good" scaling.

CPU scaling usually refers to the performance increase you get from overclocking. As with video cards, you might expect to get 20% better performance if you OC by 20%, but you might only get 10% because of other factors. Good scaling is when the performance you get is close to the clock speed increase.
ok this makes sense. i thought it might be something like that.

so if someone says a cpu stops scaling well after 5ghz, that means any increase in frequency after 5ghz yields diminishing increases in realworld performance?

+rep
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k p8p67 deluxe reference gtx 680 Ripjaws(blue)1866, 8-9-8-24-2t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
c300, 2X WD CAVAIAR BLACK 640GB RAID 0 LG Bluray/Dvd Rewriter 7 Ult Gateway 24" lcd 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Lycosa Corsair 750w tx Cooler Master HAF 932 black g9 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k p8p67 deluxe reference gtx 680 Ripjaws(blue)1866, 8-9-8-24-2t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
c300, 2X WD CAVAIAR BLACK 640GB RAID 0 LG Bluray/Dvd Rewriter 7 Ult Gateway 24" lcd 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Lycosa Corsair 750w tx Cooler Master HAF 932 black g9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains View Post
so if someone says a cpu stops scaling well after 5ghz, that means any increase in frequency after 5ghz yields diminishing increases in realworld performance?
You got it.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
Scaling is relative increase in real performance metrics (i.e. FPS, benchmarking scores etc) relative to the increase in nominal metrics (i.e. core clock, memory clock, number of cards).

When two cards scale well it means that the 100% increase in hardware equates to a near 100% increase in performance.

When talking about overclocking it means a 50% increase in core clock will equate to at or near a 50% increase in performance.

When talking about silicon architectures it can be used in reference to increase in performance due to a relative increase in the number of transistors, cores, clock speed, etc.

If a card stop scaling it would be like what happened to Intel's Netbust architecture in that adding more MHZ wasn't giving them commensurate gains in performance or adding more transistors hit a wall in terms of thermals etc. Or it can mean that for instance after 900MHZ a given card shows a diminishing return in performance (i.e. each additional 5% in core clock only yields a 1% increase in performance where as a 5% increase on 800MHZ yielded a 4% increase in performance.).
ok i see. thank you for explaining. +rep
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k p8p67 deluxe reference gtx 680 Ripjaws(blue)1866, 8-9-8-24-2t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
c300, 2X WD CAVAIAR BLACK 640GB RAID 0 LG Bluray/Dvd Rewriter 7 Ult Gateway 24" lcd 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Lycosa Corsair 750w tx Cooler Master HAF 932 black g9 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k p8p67 deluxe reference gtx 680 Ripjaws(blue)1866, 8-9-8-24-2t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
c300, 2X WD CAVAIAR BLACK 640GB RAID 0 LG Bluray/Dvd Rewriter 7 Ult Gateway 24" lcd 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Lycosa Corsair 750w tx Cooler Master HAF 932 black g9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains View Post
ok this makes sense. i thought it might be something like that.

so if someone says a cpu stops scaling well after 5ghz, that means any increase in frequency after 5ghz yields diminishing increases in realworld performance?

+rep
Yes, although people often confuse absolute scaling and relative scaling. A 1ghz increase on a 3ghz processor assuming perfect scaling and no other bottlenecks in the system would be a 33% increase, but a 1ghz increase on a 5ghz processor, through still 1ghz, would only at best result in a 20% performance increase. Not sure it that is relevant to what you were thinking but it is an important fact to note.
Sandy Bridge-E
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930K C2 4.8GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme NVidia GTX480 SLI NVidia GTX480 SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws-X 32GB Crucial M4 128 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda Green Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 SP1 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Dell U2211H Topre Realforce 86UB Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster HAF-X Steelseries Xai Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar STX 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2.3Ghz GT 650m 8GB 256GB Samsung SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Bridge-E
(20 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930K C2 4.8GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme NVidia GTX480 SLI NVidia GTX480 SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws-X 32GB Crucial M4 128 OCZ Vertex 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Green Seagate Barracuda Green Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 SP1 Professional x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Dell U2211H Topre Realforce 86UB Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Coolermaster HAF-X Steelseries Xai Razer Goliathus ASUS Xonar STX 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2.3Ghz GT 650m 8GB 256GB Samsung SSD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Let me provide two actual common examples, graphically.

A. Scaling of CPU frequency
Graph 1 shows the framerate (of a certain game at a certain resolution) as a function of the frequency of a CPU.

The red graph (ie GTX570 3-way SLI) shows that an increase of the CPU frequency brings an increase in framerate, meaning the CPU is limiting/bottlenecking the graphic subsystem.

The green and blue graphs has a zero slope, meaning the CPU is handling the graphic subsystem very well.

B. Scaling of multi-GPU (SLI/CF)
Graph 2 shows ''single GTX570 vs 2-way vs 3-way SLI''.

Theoretically, going from 1 card to 2 cards would bring 100% improvement in framerate (ie a factor of 2.0). In this actual example, it is 1.82.

Going from 1 card to 3 cards would bring 200% improvement (ie a factor 3.0) and here the actual number is 2.36.

Note:Graph 2 is basically reading Graph 1 along the vertical Y-axis at a certain value of x

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › what does scaling mean?