Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First build! and why I should of did this years ago.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First build! and why I should of did this years ago.

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
So I have a Dell Xps 400. I know, what an idiot. I was fooled by my doubt in building my own system 2006 and fell for their marketing. The system was upgraded as much as possible to have the current build of Intel Pent. D930, Dell 945g mobo, 3GB ddr2 533, MSI HD4850, 250gb HDD, X-Fi SC, Antec 650w PSU. It did well over the years, and actually play Mass Effect 2 maxed. The time had come for an update though, and I knew she couldn't handle the newest and best (Crysis 2, Rage, Skyrim). With no money in my pocket I got the bug to upgrade what I can. Because it's Dell that meant everything besides the GPU and PSU. So after the shock of finding no new processor can go in my board, a new board nullifies the OS, and no new board fit my case. I set out to build a new rig on a Budget of $500 of which I don't even have. For $500 I got an i3 560 3.33Ghz, GIGABYTE ga-h55-usb3 mobo, G. Skill 4GB 1333 mem., 500GB hdd, windows 7 home prem. 64-bit, rosewill challenger case. To get the system you see below. I think I did OK for a first timer. Some room to move up on the processor for the future. But I know there's room for improvement and welcome everyone's input. I love to learn.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 31
You should be able to use your old OS if it isn't from dell. You just call windows and tell them you had to replace some hardware and they are happy to help. But if it is an OEM copy from dell then you need the new copy.

You should be able to get a better setup then what you put together for 500 dollars. You also should wait for sandy bridge to be release very soon. Buying 1156 is kinda dumb at this point.
post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
You should be able to use your old OS if it isn't from dell. You just call windows and tell them you had to replace some hardware and they are happy to help. But if it is an OEM copy from dell then you need the new copy.

You should be able to get a better setup then what you put together for 500 dollars. You also should wait for sandy bridge to be release very soon. Buying 1156 is kinda dumb at this point.
Yeah it is an OEM copy. I weighed heavily my usage vs more cores for more $$$. I don't really multitask, no video editing, and there seems to be a debate over multi-thread games as yet. I'm to impatient to wait for the sandy bridge and if we wait a few months after that they will be put to pasture. Going with the LGA 1156 does worry me a bit but I do have room to grow slightly and cost were in line.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisJustin View Post
Yeah it is an OEM copy. I weighed heavily my usage vs more cores for more $$$. I don't really multitask, no video editing, and there seems to be a debate over multi-thread games as yet. I'm to impatient to wait for the sandy bridge and if we wait a few months after that they will be put to pasture. Going with the LGA 1156 does worry me a bit but I do have room to grow slightly and cost were in line.
No, going with 1156 at this point is just plain dumb. Sandy bridge will have the new fixed boards on the market inside of a month. They could release in the next week. If you go with 1156 you will be very limited on upgrade because they most likely won't release any new chips for that socket. wait the extra month and go with sandy bridge. You waited this long, you can wait a little bit longer.
post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
No, going with 1156 at this point is just plain dumb. Sandy bridge will have the new fixed boards on the market inside of a month. They could release in the next week. If you go with 1156 you will be very limited on upgrade because they most likely won't release any new chips for that socket. wait the extra month and go with sandy bridge. You waited this long, you can wait a little bit longer.
See this is why I should have joined before. I have already ordered everything last week and had to in order to take advantage of no interest financing. The price I pay for being low on the funds i guess.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 31
well then you are stuck with your hardware unless you are able to cancel the order.
post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 
I don't feel so stuck. It's not that bad of processor, or is it?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 560 3.33hz(4Ghz OC) GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 Msi HD 4850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1333(1600 OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB 7200rpm DVD-rom and DVD/RW Window 7 Home Prem. x64 Dell 1907fp 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec 650w Rosewill Challenger G6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 31
Well I dont know about the processor itself but you can't upgrade it in the future, I read somewhere that 1366 is the next gen socket of intel (feel free to correct me, not 100% sure) and thus I can get a new CPU when/if I feel like of the next gen if I should have the need for upgrading as it fits my motherboard, but you can't upgrade it because there will be no newer chips to upgrade for your socket. Or something along those lines
First build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 @ 4 GHz 1.22v ASUS Rampage III Extreme Gainward GTX 580 Corsair Dominator GT 2000 MHz CL8 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 40GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB Normal DVD one! Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) Benq T2210HD 21,5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate ordered! Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
First build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 @ 4 GHz 1.22v ASUS Rampage III Extreme Gainward GTX 580 Corsair Dominator GT 2000 MHz CL8 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 40GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB Normal DVD one! Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) Benq T2210HD 21,5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate ordered! Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W Corsair Obsidian 800d Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 31
I know how you feel. I got the 400 too, and am now saving to build something new, so I'll be watching you closely as I've never built one either!
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
Well I dont know about the processor itself but you can't upgrade it in the future, I read somewhere that 1366 is the next gen socket of intel (feel free to correct me, not 100% sure) and thus I can get a new CPU when/if I feel like of the next gen if I should have the need for upgrading as it fits my motherboard, but you can't upgrade it because there will be no newer chips to upgrade for your socket. Or something along those lines
I thought 1366 was the last-gen socket...
My System
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k - 4.3 GHz ~1.16V ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Gigabyte HD 7870 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB WD Green WD5000AADS 500GB Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Crossover 27Q Dell SR2320L Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ StealthXStream 2 600w HAF 912 Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries QcK Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k - 4.3 GHz ~1.16V ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Gigabyte HD 7870 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB WD Green WD5000AADS 500GB Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Crossover 27Q Dell SR2320L Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ StealthXStream 2 600w HAF 912 Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries QcK Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › First build! and why I should of did this years ago.