Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › 3.8GHZ but...!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3.8GHZ but...!!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
i can get my athlon 2 X4 640 to 3.8 but it has to have 1.62V my system is usually only on 4 about 8 - 9 hours a day

so the BUT is the voltage is it ok for a system not on all day
MY cooler is a Hyper TX3 in push & pull configuration + i have a large vent/open window in the side of my case

its not pretty but its not meant to be its for cooling
angle grinder FTW


pictures taken with Iphone 3GS so there not brilliant
Edited by craigs911 - 3/1/11 at 7:14am
post #2 of 16
That is a very high voltage.

Normally for AMD the max voltage for that sort of period should be around 1.55V with the temps being no more than 62*C (Sometimes you can get unstable OC if the temps even get to 55*C)

You would be wise to lower it and keep an eye on the temps with CoreTemp HWMonitor.
Main System
(14 items)
 
Folding Rig
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K 4.7Ghz @ 1.312V Asus P8Z77-V Pro Palit 4Gb GTX680 JetStream 16Gb 1866Mhz G.Skills RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256Gb Samsung 840Pro LG DVD-Bluray RW Custom WC - EK SupremeHF, EK-FC680 GTX+, XSPC 2... Win 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung P2450H 24" 1920x1080 XFX Black 850W Antec 300 modded to take 2xRads 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II X6 1090T Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid 1Gb Zotac GTX 650 TI 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz  Crucial M4 Linux Ubuntu 15.10 19" - 1440x900 
Power
Corsiar AX760i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 460 @3510GHz ASRock N68C-GS UCC HD5450 4Gb DDR3-1600  
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1Gb WD Black drive SATA DVD - blu-ray 32" Sony Bravia 350W ANTEC Supplied 
Case
ANTEC minuet 350 
  hide details  
Reply
Main System
(14 items)
 
Folding Rig
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K 4.7Ghz @ 1.312V Asus P8Z77-V Pro Palit 4Gb GTX680 JetStream 16Gb 1866Mhz G.Skills RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256Gb Samsung 840Pro LG DVD-Bluray RW Custom WC - EK SupremeHF, EK-FC680 GTX+, XSPC 2... Win 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung P2450H 24" 1920x1080 XFX Black 850W Antec 300 modded to take 2xRads 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II X6 1090T Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid 1Gb Zotac GTX 650 TI 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz  Crucial M4 Linux Ubuntu 15.10 19" - 1440x900 
Power
Corsiar AX760i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 460 @3510GHz ASRock N68C-GS UCC HD5450 4Gb DDR3-1600  
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1Gb WD Black drive SATA DVD - blu-ray 32" Sony Bravia 350W ANTEC Supplied 
Case
ANTEC minuet 350 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitche01 View Post
That is a very high voltage.

Normally for AMD the max voltage for that sort of period should be around 1.55V with the temps being no more than 62*C (Sometimes you can get unstable OC if the temps even get to 55*C)

You would be wise to lower it and keep an eye on the temps with CoreTemp HWMonitor.
thats the thing its not stable at 3.8 with voltage lower than 1.62 i will try it at the current voltage some thing like 1.56-58 only thing with that is prime BSOD within seconds
Edited by craigs911 - 3/1/11 at 7:19am
post #4 of 16
Well I would be careful at such high voltages of 1.62V

This is OCN so having ago at the best you can should be applauded but we dont want you to blow anything as well!

Just keep an eye on temps and voltage regulation. It is a good idea to have a decent PSU when OCing to such high volts.

Best of luck
Main System
(14 items)
 
Folding Rig
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K 4.7Ghz @ 1.312V Asus P8Z77-V Pro Palit 4Gb GTX680 JetStream 16Gb 1866Mhz G.Skills RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256Gb Samsung 840Pro LG DVD-Bluray RW Custom WC - EK SupremeHF, EK-FC680 GTX+, XSPC 2... Win 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung P2450H 24" 1920x1080 XFX Black 850W Antec 300 modded to take 2xRads 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II X6 1090T Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid 1Gb Zotac GTX 650 TI 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz  Crucial M4 Linux Ubuntu 15.10 19" - 1440x900 
Power
Corsiar AX760i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 460 @3510GHz ASRock N68C-GS UCC HD5450 4Gb DDR3-1600  
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1Gb WD Black drive SATA DVD - blu-ray 32" Sony Bravia 350W ANTEC Supplied 
Case
ANTEC minuet 350 
  hide details  
Reply
Main System
(14 items)
 
Folding Rig
(14 items)
 
HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K 4.7Ghz @ 1.312V Asus P8Z77-V Pro Palit 4Gb GTX680 JetStream 16Gb 1866Mhz G.Skills RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
256Gb Samsung 840Pro LG DVD-Bluray RW Custom WC - EK SupremeHF, EK-FC680 GTX+, XSPC 2... Win 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung P2450H 24" 1920x1080 XFX Black 850W Antec 300 modded to take 2xRads 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II X6 1090T Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid 1Gb Zotac GTX 650 TI 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz  Crucial M4 Linux Ubuntu 15.10 19" - 1440x900 
Power
Corsiar AX760i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 460 @3510GHz ASRock N68C-GS UCC HD5450 4Gb DDR3-1600  
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1Gb WD Black drive SATA DVD - blu-ray 32" Sony Bravia 350W ANTEC Supplied 
Case
ANTEC minuet 350 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
Lower it to 3.6ghz unless you don't care if your cpu dies soon.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitche01 View Post
Well I would be careful at such high voltages of 1.62V

This is OCN so having ago at the best you can should be applauded but we dont want you to blow anything as well!

Just keep an eye on temps and voltage regulation. It is a good idea to have a decent PSU when OCing to such high volts.

Best of luck
i have a 480W CIT PSU + my temps dont go any ware near 50C when playing GTA4 my xbox 360 pumps out more heat then my pc whats best to monitor temps im using foxone came with board

also any one know were i can get a PSU for a DELL optiplex GX520 its the model that uses a laptop DVD drive also need a heat sync fan for it
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs911 View Post
i have a 480W CIT PSU + my temps dont go any ware near 50C when playing GTA4 my xbox 360 pumps out more heat then my pc whats best to monitor temps im using foxone came with board

also any one know were i can get a PSU for a DELL optiplex GX520 its the model that uses a laptop DVD drive also need a heat sync fan for it
That board is very very cheap bro.
The vrms dont even have covers on the top.
You will blow a vrm very quickly at those volts. Its not a matter of will or wont its a matter of how much time you have.
You will not see a diff. in gta4 at 3.6 to 3.8 i promise you. Unless you have like tri sli.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by konspiracy View Post
That board is very very cheap bro.
The vrms dont even have covers on the top.
You will blow a vrm very quickly at those volts. Its not a matter of will or wont its a matter of how much time you have.
You will not see a diff. in gta4 at 3.6 to 3.8 i promise you. Unless you have like tri sli.
my mobo is being upgraded to this soon

Foxconn A9DA-S AMD 890GX Motherboard
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...ds/A9DA-S.html
post #9 of 16
Also your board can only handle 95 watts.
Your making your board handle like 160 to 185 watts.
post #10 of 16
To save your self the hassle upgrade to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128438
Rebuilt
(10 items)
 
E6600 Revived
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600  Asus P5G41T-M LX PLUS BFG 9600GT OC Kingston DDR3 1333 2x4gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
IDE  Stock :l Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit Acer G245HQ 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec Basiq 550w Modded Generic Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
Rebuilt
(10 items)
 
E6600 Revived
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600  Asus P5G41T-M LX PLUS BFG 9600GT OC Kingston DDR3 1333 2x4gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
IDE  Stock :l Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit Acer G245HQ 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec Basiq 550w Modded Generic Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › 3.8GHZ but...!!