New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Senior Project

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
The senior project was assigned last week, but I still have no idea what program to write. By the end of my project, I have to have a product (the program) that will benefit a company, yet also have to do with overclocking and cooling. I thought of creating something to automatically overclock a large number of computers so a business can save money instead of buying new computers. This overclock software should be controlled by one admin, hopefully from an external source like an iPod, but thats prett ambitious. This program could provide a one stop place to monitor the temps of every computer, and also adjust CPU frequencies and more if possible. Unfortunately, programming is my weak point with computers. What does OCN suggest for the product that could be simpler than my solution? And is my idea a good one?
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbliss23 View Post
The senior project was assigned last week, but I still have no idea what program to write. By the end of my project, I have to have a product (the program) that will benefit a company, yet also have to do with overclocking and cooling. I thought of creating something to automatically overclock a large number of computers so a business can save money instead of buying new computers. This overclock software should be controlled by one admin, hopefully from an external source like an iPod, but thats prett ambitious. This program could provide a one stop place to monitor the temps of every computer, and also adjust CPU frequencies and more if possible. Unfortunately, programming is my weak point with computers. What does OCN suggest for the product that could be simpler than my solution? And is my idea a good one?
Does it have to be an overclocking program or is that just what you want to do? If you're not very big on programming, I would advise against setting the bar so high for yourself. What language is this to be written in?
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post
Does it have to be an overclocking program or is that just what you want to do? If you're not very big on programming, I would advise against setting the bar so high for yourself. What language is this to be written in?
My topic is overclocking computers and the performance gained vs the money you would normally spend on a computer with high stock speeds. I need to find a practical application for the product, so that is just my idea. I clearly have few ideas, which is why that seems so difficult. And I would like to write it in C++.
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
Well, I don't mean to crush your dreams or anything, but I think this project is the stuff of fantasy.

A good project might be just getting an ipod to talk to a computer in the first place (transfer a file or something).

To my knowledge, there isn't much in the way of free libraries that expose the necessary interface to read temperature data and modify clock frequencies. Most programs that do this have their own, proprietary solution and probably won't just hand it over. Moreover, variations between computers swing so widely that you basically have to update your program every time new hardware comes out.

Functionally speaking, a business is probably more likely to WANT to spend money on new computers, rather than even risk them being unstable with important business data. This is especially true for servers, which act as a backbone for a business' infrastructure (not to mention, most server boards aren't design to overclock).

I think you need to sit down and say 'what does a business need', or 'what would be useful to an individual', then take that project and filter it down to 10% of what the original scope was. Only then will you have a high likelihood of completing it. ;P
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killnine View Post
Well, I don't mean to crush your dreams or anything, but I think this project is the stuff of fantasy.

A good project might be just getting an ipod to talk to a computer in the first place (transfer a file or something).

To my knowledge, there isn't much in the way of free libraries that expose the necessary interface to read temperature data and modify clock frequencies. Most programs that do this have their own, proprietary solution and probably won't just hand it over. Moreover, variations between computers swing so widely that you basically have to update your program every time new hardware comes out.

Functionally speaking, a business is probably more likely to WANT to spend money on new computers, rather than even risk them being unstable with important business data. This is especially true for servers, which act as a backbone for a business' infrastructure (not to mention, most server boards aren't design to overclock).

I think you need to sit down and say 'what does a business need', or 'what would be useful to an individual', then take that project and filter it down to 10% of what the original scope was. Only then will you have a high likelihood of completing it. ;P
Yeah I fully understand what you mean, but transferring data with an iPod just won't work for this project, it's too simple. And that is true that businesses probably would rather buy computers, but I just need to give it to a business as a requirement of the project. I don't necessarily need a business solution, I just need a practical application of overclocking/cooling. I actually designed a case that is also a res and radiator for a WC loop today in AutoCAD, and if there were a way I could prove that the design is reasonable for commercial use, I would need to find that out. I don't know how this case could be used by millions of people though.

I had thought also of designing a universal cooling solution for any computer, that is compatible with most socket types. That could easily be used everywhere, and I could also present the idea that computer manufacturers could use it on their computers.
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 22
So now I am confused....does this have to be a programming project or is this for some business class?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killnine View Post
So now I am confused....does this have to be a programming project or is this for some business class?
It's a project that I create that is based on a topic of my choosing, and I have to present it to the board of administrators before I graduate. It's one of the most important projects I'll have.
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 22
If you're going with the idea of overclocking == money saved you might want to think again. While you don't necessarily need to increase voltages in order to achieve an overclock, more often than not for a serious gain you would need to. More voltage == more money spent to run that computer. Also, the stress/wear and tear that overclocking will cause means that the hardware will have a reduced lifespan. This adds up to needing to buy parts more often.

I'm not saying your project is impossible, just that you might be in for more work than you'd want for arguing this idea.
Blue Beastie 2.0
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090 T ASUS Crosshair Formula III ASUS HD5870 Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel X-25 SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital Velociraptor ASUS DVD/CD Optical Drive 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium ASUS PG221H 22" LCD Ducky Keyboard - MX Overclock.net Edition - DK9... Enermax Galaxy 850W 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar Essence 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Beastie 2.0
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090 T ASUS Crosshair Formula III ASUS HD5870 Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel X-25 SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital Velociraptor ASUS DVD/CD Optical Drive 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium ASUS PG221H 22" LCD Ducky Keyboard - MX Overclock.net Edition - DK9... Enermax Galaxy 850W 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Cosmos II Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar Essence 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 22
Yeah, for as important as you make this sound, I think mixing overclocking into it might be the wrong move. Only you know for sure, but make sure your scope is feasible and practical to society. Good luck.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz Rampage II GENE PNY GTX 680 G.Skill Sniper (12GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT SATA Optical Drive Kuhler 920 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Logitech G11  Silverstone ST75 750W Antec Mini P180B 
MouseMouse PadOther
Logitech MX518 Steelpad G19 Gaming Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well besides overclocking, what else is a common issue with computers that should be fixed? I think since the Internet is so common, I could do something about networking since it's so vital to businesses to be interconnected. But even still if I did networking, what could I argue about it?
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8300 @ 3.4 Ghz ASUS P5N-D 2x 9800 GTX+ SLi 4x 1 GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 500 GB RAID 0 LITE-ON DVD-R/RW Windows 7 x64 Acer 24" 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rosewill 800W NZXT Phantom Black w/ Blue LED Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Coding and Programming