Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Painting my case
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Painting my case

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi im getting the silverstone tj09 case but i want to spray the inside ofit mat black, will i need any special paint or anything to do it with and will i need to prepare the case in anyway for the paint to stick?

Thanks
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 12
If you want it to look professional you will want to sand it, clean it with a solvent like methylated spirits or something similar, prime it, and then paint it.

If you want to be lazy you can use an all in one paint like krylon fusion which doesn't need a primer. I recently painted some parts of my silverstone FT02 with matte black krylon fusion. It was a reasonably close match but I found the black to be a little more matte than the factory silverstone paint.

I painted a heatsink with this

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

and found it to be a close match to the silverstone black. It's expensive though and I wouldn't paint an entire case with it. It's special heat dissipating paint.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Hey Grazz Once you strip your case down to the bare chassis, either use a green scotch-brite pad or 220 grit sand paper...Just enough to scuff the surface for the primer to hold to it...Once you are done sanding clean it really good with a tack cloth and get all of the dust off of it..When you buy primer MAKE SURE you buy self etching primer..Usually 2-3 coats of primer with light sanding in between coats..Wiping it down after sanding also..I used a metallic black made by Dupli-Color on my Cosmos S....I sprayed 3 coats of the finish coat sanding in between with 600 grit wet dry sandpaper..You are also going to want to put a few coats of clear coat on it to help prevent from scrapes and knicks...This is just a quick version of how to paint the chassis..If you look through the forum you will find really in depth threads that helped me out a lot...Good luck I hope it comes out great for you.
Toxic i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 (3951A687)4.01@1.23v ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
OCZ Agility60gb SSD(Boot)+WD Black 640GB (Storage) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Dell U2410 and View Sonic VX2025WM 20.1 SeaSonic X750-750 Watt 
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
Toxic i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 (3951A687)4.01@1.23v ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
OCZ Agility60gb SSD(Boot)+WD Black 640GB (Storage) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Dell U2410 and View Sonic VX2025WM 20.1 SeaSonic X750-750 Watt 
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Exellent thanks guys will give it a shot and post outcome
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Click on the "how to paint" link in my sig
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 CPU 860 @ 3.80GHz GIGABYTE P55A-UD7 2x-ASUS ENGTX470 SLI G Skill 4gig 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 60gig /Raptor 150 Asus DVD Lightscribe Win7 64 bit Pro Asus VW246 24", (2) Dell 20's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G-15 Cosair 850 watt Custom HAF-932 EXT G-9 
Mouse Pad
Razor eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 CPU 860 @ 3.80GHz GIGABYTE P55A-UD7 2x-ASUS ENGTX470 SLI G Skill 4gig 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 2 60gig /Raptor 150 Asus DVD Lightscribe Win7 64 bit Pro Asus VW246 24", (2) Dell 20's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G-15 Cosair 850 watt Custom HAF-932 EXT G-9 
Mouse Pad
Razor eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
I would also suggest warming the case before actually painting it. I've found heat to be excellent for paint bonding, especially if painting bare metal. I would suggest a black primer for the matte finish. It's not absolute black, but more of a sooty, very dark gray, which might look good on the inside of a case.
I've also used engine enamel, engine exhaust paint (matte finish, very tough), and lacquer for high gloss or pin-striping jobs. Hammer finish may also look particularly interesting if it was charcoal colored.
Sovereign
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2700K Asrock P67 Extreme6 Sapphire HD6970 1st revision Gskill 2x4GB 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial C300 WD Black WD Green WD Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Green Samsung SH223L Samsung SH223L Samsung SH243N 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Water Loop Fans Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Viewsonic WP2365B 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic WP2365B Rosewill RK9000 V.1 Corsair HX1000 CHIEFTEC Mesh CA-01B-B-SL-OP 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G300 Steelseries Experience I-2 Klipsch Promedia modified 2.1 setup Yamaha headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Sovereign
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2700K Asrock P67 Extreme6 Sapphire HD6970 1st revision Gskill 2x4GB 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial C300 WD Black WD Green WD Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Green Samsung SH223L Samsung SH223L Samsung SH243N 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Water Loop Fans Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Viewsonic WP2365B 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic WP2365B Rosewill RK9000 V.1 Corsair HX1000 CHIEFTEC Mesh CA-01B-B-SL-OP 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G300 Steelseries Experience I-2 Klipsch Promedia modified 2.1 setup Yamaha headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardDawg30 View Post
Hey Grazz Once you strip your case down to the bare chassis, either use a green scotch-brite pad or 220 grit sand paper...Just enough to scuff the surface for the primer to hold to it...Once you are done sanding clean it really good with a tack cloth and get all of the dust off of it..When you buy primer MAKE SURE you buy self etching primer..Usually 2-3 coats of primer with light sanding in between coats..Wiping it down after sanding also..I used a metallic black made by Dupli-Color on my Cosmos S....I sprayed 3 coats of the finish coat sanding in between with 600 grit wet dry sandpaper..You are also going to want to put a few coats of clear coat on it to help prevent from scrapes and knicks...This is just a quick version of how to paint the chassis..If you look through the forum you will find really in depth threads that helped me out a lot...Good luck I hope it comes out great for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope View Post
If you want it to look professional you will want to sand it, clean it with a solvent like methylated spirits or something similar, prime it, and then paint it.

If you want to be lazy you can use an all in one paint like krylon fusion which doesn't need a primer. I recently painted some parts of my silverstone FT02 with matte black krylon fusion. It was a reasonably close match but I found the black to be a little more matte than the factory silverstone paint.

I painted a heatsink with this

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

and found it to be a close match to the silverstone black. It's expensive though and I wouldn't paint an entire case with it. It's special heat dissipating paint.
Ok ive got 4/5 diffrent ways of painting one case here lol all i want is the paint to stick im on a budget. But thanks to you all for all the help
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Here's a simple way that Enigma showed me. Like you, I didn't want to tear down my case, sand, prime, paint, coat, and then re-rivet everything. It wasn't worth that much to me. This is what I did instead.

1) Buy some self-etching primer and satin black spray paint. I used two cans of spray paint, and one can of primer on my HAF.
2) Tape off the parts you don't want to spray paint.
3) Start priming it, and then let the primer dry for about an hour.
4) Begin spray painting in light coats, about 6-12 inches away from the case. Start with a light coat first, called a stick coat. Don't let it dry completely before spraying the next coat.
5) Proceed to spray on the next coats, and use a hair dryer to heat up the paint after after each coat. That'll help it dry hard and fast. Spray as many coats as you feel necessary.
6) This is the hardest part. Let it sit for 3-4 days after you're done painting. Don't touch it! This'll give the paint time to dry and harden up. I was impatient and started assembling after only letting it dry for 12 hrs. The paint chipped off very easily.

You're done! A quick and simple way to paint a case. Costed me only 13 bucks for the two cans of paint and one can of primer, and a black interior HAF 932 looks fantastic.
/hwaw
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz 1.160v ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce Sapphire R9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x4gb Samsung RAM @ 2000mhz 9-10-9-28 1.425v OCZ Vertex 4 Hitacho Deskstar Crucial M550 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Corsair H80 (CPU) Thermalright Spitfire (GPU) Gelid Icy Vision (GPU) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
BENQ GW2450 Asus PB278Q Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid Seasonic 750w  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Black Interior HAF 932 Roccat Kone  Artisan Hien Hard 
  hide details  
Reply
/hwaw
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz 1.160v ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce Sapphire R9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x4gb Samsung RAM @ 2000mhz 9-10-9-28 1.425v OCZ Vertex 4 Hitacho Deskstar Crucial M550 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Corsair H80 (CPU) Thermalright Spitfire (GPU) Gelid Icy Vision (GPU) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
BENQ GW2450 Asus PB278Q Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid Seasonic 750w  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Black Interior HAF 932 Roccat Kone  Artisan Hien Hard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
Here's a simple way that Enigma showed me. Like you, I didn't want to tear down my case, sand, prime, paint, coat, and then re-rivet everything. It wasn't worth that much to me. This is what I did instead.

1) Buy some self-etching primer and satin black spray paint. I used two cans of spray paint, and one can of primer on my HAF.
2) Tape off the parts you don't want to spray paint.
3) Start priming it, and then let the primer dry for about an hour.
4) Begin spray painting in light coats, about 6-12 inches away from the case. Start with a light coat first, called a stick coat. Don't let it dry completely before spraying the next coat.
5) Proceed to spray on the next coats, and use a hair dryer to heat up the paint after after each coat. That'll help it dry hard and fast. Spray as many coats as you feel necessary.
6) This is the hardest part. Let it sit for 3-4 days after you're done painting. Don't touch it! This'll give the paint time to dry and harden up. I was impatient and started assembling after only letting it dry for 12 hrs. The paint chipped off very easily.

You're done! A quick and simple way to paint a case. Costed me only 13 bucks for the two cans of paint and one can of primer, and a black interior HAF 932 looks fantastic.
Sounds easy enough to me, think ill do that method Cheers dude +1
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
Rig in progress
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #10 of 12
The easiest way to do it is to drill out all the rivets and drop the case off at the powder coaters

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Painting my case