Overclock.net banner

Been speaking to AMD Customer Support

5K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  PCSarge 
#1 ·
Here it goes....

1st message right down to the latest reply from AMD.

> Original Text *From:* *******@googlemail.com *To:* TECH.SUPPORT@AMD.COM
> *CC:* *Sent:* 03/01/11 06:13:05 *Subject:* CPU Voltage
> Hi, Your website states that the Phenom II X6 processor's have a max safe
> voltage of 1.4V Why is this though? When Turbo Core is enabled, There's
> about 1.47V pumping into the CPU. However, alot of people say that these
> Phenom II chips are completely safe upto 1.55V. What are the risks of me
> running my 1055T @ 4200MHz @ 1.52V for 2 day's straight then?

Reply from AMD:

Original Text From:******@googlemail.com
To:TECH.SUPPORT@amd.com
CC:
Sent:03/01/11 08:48:57
Subject:Re: AMD Service Notice:{ticketno:[------]}

I have a Water Cooling Loop, which at Max load with Prime95, my max
tempature at 4200MHz @ 1.52V is 42C and my idle tempature is 19C...

Tempature taken from the CPU, not the Cores.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM, wrote:

> Dear Rhys,
>
> Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[----]} has been reviewed and
> updated.
>
> Response and Service Request History:
>
> Thank you for contacting AMD. The risk you run by operating the CPU at
> above the recommended settings is that with this voltage you may not only
> begin to overheat, but you stand a good chance of damaging your CPU and
> voiding the warranty due to running the CPU out of spec and over clocking
> both.
>
> In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the
> service request reference intact.
>
> Best regards,
>
> ~Josh
>
> AMD Global Customer Care

Another Reply after I replied back:

Dear Rhys,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[------]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:

Do you happen to have your CPUs serial number by any chance? I am curious which batch it came from and I would like to look this information up. This is rather impressive with these specs at this temperature.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,
~Josh
AMD Global Customer Care

------------ 02/03/2011 UPDATED

Dear Rhys,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[---------]} has been reviewed and updated.

The voltage has little to do with voiding your warranty, however knowing overclocking the CPU and using a third party heatsink and fan does automatically void the warranty as is clearly listed on our warranty agreement which is included with a retail boxed CPU and on our website located in the following link.

http://support.amd.com/us/warranty/P...arLimited.aspx

I was originally curious as to which batch this CPU came from, but due to this previous e-mail considered any and all warranty for your CPU as void due to multiple infractions in relation to your CPU including, but not limited to the use of a third party heatsink/fan (watercooling) and overclocking.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,
~Josh
AMD Global Customer Care

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomfix
View Post

Dear Rhys,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[------]} has been reviewed and updated.

Do you happen to have your CPUs serial number by any chance? I am curious which batch it came from and I would like to look this information up. This is rather impressive with these specs at this temperature.

Best regards,
~Josh
AMD Global Customer Care

Well Rhys, this last one just looks they are trying to get your serial number from you so if you try to return it under warranty they will just tell you to get lost because you OC'd your chip.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaiger
View Post

Well Rhys, this last one just looks they are trying to get your serial number from you so if you try to return it under warranty they will just tell you to get lost because you OC'd your chip.

If they do, then I would get my solicitor into action and get straight onto there backs.

Anyway's I don't plan on using the warrenty anytime soon. I would be upgradeing sometime at the end of this year so I highly dought if my CPU will die then... And my warrenty is not covered by AMD really, All I have to do is send it back to Ebuyer and they send out a replacement straight away for me if they find out it's not working.

#5 ·
LOL sounds like hes baiting you. "Hey...that sounds amazing! What is your serial # again?" And he puts it in a void warranty database or something haha.

#6 ·
oh god he is trying to screw you.
don't

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard36qs
View Post

LOL sounds like hes baiting you. "Hey...that sounds amazing! What is your serial # again?" And he puts it in a void warranty database or something haha.

Yup, He does that then I would get a solicitor involved for mis-handleing the information that I have provided to him

#8 ·
Maybe try to rephrase why their specs show 1.4 volts, and turbo mode hits 1.475, breaking their own specs, which could conceivably break their own warranty by providing too much voltage. I have never needed to send a CPU back before, and doubt this one will be an issue, but I'd love to hear AMD's response on the voltage going above their own ratings. If they want the batch, you can easily give that without giving the serial number, and it should help keep your anonymity at least slightly more intact.

#9 ·
Quote:

View Post

Yup, He does that then I would get a solicitor involved for mis-handleing the information that I have provided to him

, really?

You've told him that you Overclocked the chip, which voids the warranty. He could add it to a "Void database", and he'd be completely within his rights, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnexplodedCow
View Post

Maybe try to rephrase why their specs show 1.4 volts, and turbo mode hits 1.475, breaking their own specs, which could conceivably break their own warranty by providing too much voltage. I have never needed to send a CPU back before, and doubt this one will be an issue, but I'd love to hear AMD's response on the voltage going above their own ratings. If they want the batch, you can easily give that without giving the serial number, and it should help keep your anonymity at least slightly more intact.

Yup. If I don't get a reply back from this Joe, I will send him a nice little message that if he has mis-used the information I provided to him then I will be on his tail.

Warrenty should not be void unless they test it themselves... Wait... Does the CPU even hold a little memory that keeps the voltage information? How would they even know that it has gone out of voltage spec in the first place?

And the 1.47V on the turbo core is good solid proof that would get AMD down... Especially that AMD states that they should only be run at 1.4V

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle
View Post

, really?

You've told him that you Overclocked the chip, which voids the warranty. He could add it to a "Void database", and he'd be completely within his rights, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I woulden't send it back to AMD anyway. It would go back to my Supplier which would then provide me a replacement as my warrenty is with them.

#12 ·
They would know by your admitting to that specific CPU being overclocked and providing them with its unique serial number, which is entirely independent from the batch. In my signature the batch of my 1090T is visible, not the serial number. Keep that information confidential, but batch codes are a safe bet if AMD is asking. Given the response you received, asking for which batch it came from, to gauge performance, that's all they require. Giving more only incriminates you. I also agree that they can easily blacklist that CPU against any and all RMA, due to your admittance of adjusting the voltage and clock speed beyond their specifications.
If you haven't read the warranty that comes with the processor, it does specifically say that overclocking will void the warranty. Admitting this will only worsen the situation. I also believe AMD will have a few competent attorneys to tell you to go outside and screw should you try to fight them in a legal battle.

#13 ·
Quote:

View Post

I woulden't send it back to AMD anyway. It would go back to my Supplier which would then provide me a replacement as my warrenty is with them.

just show them ur avatar.....

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnexplodedCow
View Post

They would know by your admitting to that specific CPU being overclocked and providing them with its unique serial number, which is entirely independent from the batch. In my signature the batch of my 1090T is visible, not the serial number. Keep that information confidential, but batch codes are a safe bet if AMD is asking. Given the response you received, asking for which batch it came from, to gauge performance, that's all they require. Giving more only incriminates you. I also agree that they can easily blacklist that CPU against any and all RMA, due to your admittance of adjusting the voltage and clock speed beyond their specifications.
If you haven't read the warranty that comes with the processor, it does specifically say that overclocking will void the warranty. Admitting this will only worsen the situation. I also believe AMD will have a few competent attorneys to tell you to go outside and screw should you try to fight them in a legal battle.

And that's when the 1.47V that the Turbo Core's use come in that all 1***T chips would be voided anyway becasue they went passed AMD's specified voltage.

Just because they have written proof that I overclocked, doesn't meant that they hold photographic proof that I overclocked or hold any test result's that shows my CPU overclocked

#15 ·
Here it goes.

Dear ford motor company,
I bought a Ford F150 from you guys and had some questions. It says that it takes unleaded gas but i was looking for a hybrid. So i put about 5 car battaries in the gas tank, about two dozen flashlights, coffee and a little bit of gas. Now my car runs like crap but it is the only bio/solar/electric hybrid on the road. Anyways, i wanted to know where the closest repair center was because the warranty is still good for another 2 months and wanted to try out my TNT/cement hybrid before i take it in. Oh yeah, will the warranty cover water damage to the truck and wings that i soldered onto the doors? I was trying to make that thing fly but it didn't work out, that thing does not float either you guys should really put a warning on there telling people not to try to fly over the lake.
thanks.

Dear Zaiger,
We are impressed with your outstanding contribution in the fight against pollution. We plan on giving you a medal, what was the vin number on that car again?

#17 ·
Customer Service : OK sir, you've overclocked your chip. Your warranty is void. Can I have your serial number so I can mark you void? I just want to make sure you don't get the damn warranty. I know you're the type of idiot who would follow along with this so lets just get this over with.

Customer : Are you serious? You're dumba$$.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost_z
View Post

just show them ur avatar.....

I laughed so damm hard! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridCore
View Post

Customer Service : OK sir, you've overclocked your chip. Your warranty is void. Can I have your serial number so I can mark you void? I just want to make sure you don't get the damn warranty. I know you're the type of idiot who would follow along with this so lets just get this over with.

Customer : Are you serious? You're dumba$$.

Well I am that stupid... but it doesn't bother me, as I would be getting a new chip at the end of the year anyway. + I always have enough money to replace it anyway and just OC the hell out of it

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth2o
View Post

I'll take your old chip if anything

lol

I should get a new e-mail address and send AMD a screenshot of a 10**T chip around 5GHz with some crazy 1.65V running through it and see if they ask the same thing.

SN: (.)(.)nippleopus0BH1

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle
View Post

, really?

No offense but we're not talking about Intel here. AMD EXPECTS you to OC their chips. AMD Fusion? Ummm HELLO?

Still there are things you can do to their CPU that WOULD void the warranty. Such as LAPPING them and taking their protective coating off as I have done with mine.

I think so long as only the batch number is provided they aren't going to put anybody in a list of voided ownership. I think that someone is reasonably impressed that the CPU has gone past their list specs and would honestly like to know which batch so they can pull one of them from the vault to see if they can see why it hit those numbers. Sort of a
test.

Give him the batch # please.

~Ceadder

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadderman
View Post

No offense but we're not talking about Intel here. AMD EXPECTS you to OC their chips. AMD Fusion? Ummm HELLO?

Still there are things you can do to their CPU that WOULD void the warranty. Such as LAPPING them and taking their protective coating off as I have done with mine.

I think so long as only the batch number is provided they aren't going to put anybody in a list of voided ownership. I think that someone is reasonably impressed that the CPU has gone past their list specs and would honestly like to know which batch so they can pull one of them from the vault to see if they can see why it hit those numbers. Sort of a
test.

Give him the batch # please.

~Ceadder

Too late lol. I already gave him my Serial Number which he should find my batch number with that anyway.

And I just sent him a friendly warning about trying to deceive me if he uses the information that I have provided in the wrong way.

And yeah, I totaly agree what you say and they just might test it them selves..... Didn't AMD even know that there 1055T's can clock so high in the first place?

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.