Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Overclocking the Radeon HD 5770
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking the Radeon HD 5770

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hello OCN.

So though this card seems to be extremely popular, I couldn't find any posts about some serious results of overclocking it. Many seems to have got 950/1440, but are just not saying anything about stability. So I have got 952/1424, though it crashes sometimes in games (or not really so much anymore after taking CPU to 2.7), but takes 10 mins of Kombuster. Anyone could say if that is a high overclock? Can't make "unofficial overclocking" work as it keep not saving my clocks - but just reseting them. Anyone been able to do this successfully?

Also currently my card doesn't get hotter than 70 degrees Celsius. Fell 20 degrees when I changed my Dell Inspiron 545 case, Dell motherboard and Intel stock cooler to this in my signature. Had also Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Pro, but molex/ATX connector broke
Edited by Hokrollo - 3/2/11 at 3:46am
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokrollo View Post
Hello OCN.

So though this card seems to be extremely popular, I couldn't find any posts about some serious results of overclocking it. Many seems to have got 950/1440, but are just not saying anything about stability. So I have got 952/1424, though it crashes sometimes in games (or not really so much anymore after taking CPU to 2.7), but takes 10 mins of Kombuster. Anyone could say if that is a high overclock? Can't make "unofficial overclocking" work as it keep not saving my clocks - but just reseting them. Anyone been able to do this successfully?
yep,I can get 1025/1381.thats the highest i can get it.
which version of afterburner you using?
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCO View Post
yep,I can get 1025/1381.thats the highest i can get it.
which version of afterburner you using?
Think it's 1.5, but will check when I get home in 2 hours.
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #4 of 13
I tried OCing my XFX HD5770 using the ATI CCC. I increased to a mere 900/1250mhz. The temps reached 95+C under a minute while running furmark with the highest settings.
Never OCed it since. I know I live in a pretty hot place but those temps scared the crap outta me.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955BE ASUS M4A88TD-V-EVO/USB3 MSI GTX 560Ti TwinFROZR II OC Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz C9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500GB Seagate Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Samsung 20" B2030 Corsair TX650 V2 
Case
CM HAF932 (painted black) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955BE ASUS M4A88TD-V-EVO/USB3 MSI GTX 560Ti TwinFROZR II OC Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz C9 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500GB Seagate Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Samsung 20" B2030 Corsair TX650 V2 
Case
CM HAF932 (painted black) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Update to the newest version here:http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

After you install it,open the MSI Afterburner config(open w/notepad) file in your programs files(x86).
In the msi afterburner config file put this next to(I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it)UnofficialOverclockingEULA.
Example:
Like this:UnofficialOverclockingEULA =I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

And change UnofficialOverclockingMode value from 0 to 1.then save and close file,then restart pc.

Also open REGEDIT>Edit>Find>Enableulps>Modify>Change value from 1 to 0.then restart pc,your have to do this every time you reinstall new ati drivers.
this will get you higher clock settings,and make sure that in msi afterburner setting you have checks in these boxes,
Unlock voltage control
Unlock voltage monitoring
Force constant voltage.
And your good to go,enjoy
Edited by AMOCO - 3/2/11 at 3:58am
post #6 of 13
I have the XFX 5770 Egg Cooler edition and I can achieve 980/1300 with 1.1V!! I can go higher on the memory, but from what I've read, it won't give a significant FPS boost versus going higher on the core.

I have side fans pumping fresh air into the card and the highest temp ever recorded with Furmark is 54C for core and 60C for memory!
ULTRA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 @4.1GHz/1.456V Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H Sapphire 6870 950/1100 G.Skill 8GB @ 1640 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 1TB Black + 2TB Green Samsung DVD Burner Windows 7 64-Bit 2X 20" Acer P206HL 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 650 Ultra Wizard Black 
  hide details  
Reply
ULTRA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 @4.1GHz/1.456V Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H Sapphire 6870 950/1100 G.Skill 8GB @ 1640 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 1TB Black + 2TB Green Samsung DVD Burner Windows 7 64-Bit 2X 20" Acer P206HL 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 650 Ultra Wizard Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Lower your vram clock to default and try raisng your core clock
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Bah, so annoyed that my L2 pro broke! But at least I could keep the memory heat sinks on
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCO View Post
Update to the newest version here:http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

After you install it,open the MSI Afterburner config(open w/notepad) file in your programs files(x86).
In the msi afterburner config file put this next to(I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it)UnofficialOverclockingEULA.
Example:
Like this:UnofficialOverclockingEULA =I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

And change UnofficialOverclockingMode value from 0 to 1.then save and close file,then restart pc.

Also open REGEDIT>Edit>Find>Enableulps>Modify>Change value from 1 to 0.then restart pc,your have to do this every time you reinstall new ati drivers.
this will get you higher clock settings,and make sure that in msi afterburner setting you have checks in these boxes,
Unlock voltage control
Unlock voltage monitoring
Force constant voltage.
And your good to go,enjoy
Where to find "regedit"? Also I wrote "I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it", but it still doesn't save my configuring.
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Mr. Cablemess
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #10 of 13
985/1385 was my highest stable overclock with my best 5770.
I got 99.9% of that performance at 940/1380, with much better temps/lower noise.

In crossfireX I went 900/1380.
buildX
(16 items)
 
X3Elite (HTPC)
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS L702X
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 4.0GHz (24/7) HT/on  Asus P6TD Deluxe Gigabyte 2GB GTX 670 Windforce3X OC  12GB OCZ Gold 1600 (tri-channel) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7.2K 16MB Cache Prolimatech Megahalem Rev.B (Push/Pull) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP OMEN Z4D33AA 27" 1440p 165Hz 1MS G-Sync Razer BlackWidow Ultimate  OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W XClio Windtunnel 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder  Razer Goliathus 444mm x 355mm - Speed Edition ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 X3 BE @ 3.2GHz 24/7 MSi 770-G45 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870  8GB GSkill RipJaw 1333Mhz  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3  DVD+-RW  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 60" LG 60PA5500 Plasma 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer X1373WH Projector Corsair CX500 Cooler Master 430 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i5-2430M Intel HD Graphics  Nvidia 1GB GT 550M (GF116) w/Optimus|DX11|144 ... 6GB DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120GB PNY 1311 SSD 500GB 7.2K RPM Windows7 Home Premium 64 17.3" WLED TL 1600 X 900 with 2.0MP HD webcam 
KeyboardCaseAudio
Backlit Keyboard Elemental Silver Aluminum JBL 2.1 W/ Built-in Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
buildX
(16 items)
 
X3Elite (HTPC)
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS L702X
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 930 @ 4.0GHz (24/7) HT/on  Asus P6TD Deluxe Gigabyte 2GB GTX 670 Windforce3X OC  12GB OCZ Gold 1600 (tri-channel) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7.2K 16MB Cache Prolimatech Megahalem Rev.B (Push/Pull) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP OMEN Z4D33AA 27" 1440p 165Hz 1MS G-Sync Razer BlackWidow Ultimate  OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W XClio Windtunnel 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder  Razer Goliathus 444mm x 355mm - Speed Edition ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 720 X3 BE @ 3.2GHz 24/7 MSi 770-G45 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870  8GB GSkill RipJaw 1333Mhz  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung F3  DVD+-RW  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 60" LG 60PA5500 Plasma 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer X1373WH Projector Corsair CX500 Cooler Master 430 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
i5-2430M Intel HD Graphics  Nvidia 1GB GT 550M (GF116) w/Optimus|DX11|144 ... 6GB DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120GB PNY 1311 SSD 500GB 7.2K RPM Windows7 Home Premium 64 17.3" WLED TL 1600 X 900 with 2.0MP HD webcam 
KeyboardCaseAudio
Backlit Keyboard Elemental Silver Aluminum JBL 2.1 W/ Built-in Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Overclocking the Radeon HD 5770