Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [EG]New COD engine "counter-productive"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[EG]New COD engine "counter-productive" - Page 25

post #241 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
ITT: Butt hurt PC gamers.

Console games sell, they will keep milking them.
I personally bought Black Ops. Never touched the Single Player mode, I only play the multiplayer.

PC gaming is way too expensive to actually get enjoyment out of.
With a console you pay one set price, and you're off to the races and don't have to worry about upgrading this or that.

Sure the graphics aren't OMG111!!!! on consoles, but they still look good enough to have an enjoyable experience.
PC gaming is way too expensive to get enjoyment out of? What? I've got an 360 and a PS3 and I can tell you right now in terms of enjoyment, I'll take my PC over either of them any day...

And one set price, right, because Xbox Live is free, right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
EXACTLY. But that's what people are complaining about in this thread.
What're you looking to change in Multiplayer mode? That's what you do, run around and shoot the other players. What kind of technical improvement are you looking for exactly?
Hitboxes that aren't the size of Mr Cresote? Actual new gameplay features? I've played CoD4, W@W, MW2 and BlOps and they all feel exactly the same, bar the maps anyway...And considering some people are dumb enough to pay $15 for a few maps from the previous game, it all ends up in a massive facepalm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-block View Post
The valve games and cod series are in a very similar situation, and yet all the valve groupies won't admit that the source engine needs to be retired.

It's fine for valve to reuse their engine, but cod can't do the same?

And as for quality, l4d is not quality. It is the exact same garbage as the first one. HL2 looks just as good as l4d. So in other words it looks like ass.
The engine does not determine the looks as much as it does the gameplay, CoDs gameplay has been broken compared to any Source game since CoD4, I often see that I can be shooting behind someone (In otherwords, the hits wouldn't register in Source or any decent game engine) but they register in CoD because its made for controllers where you have to do that or they'll suck at it.

And Source is designed to be modular so Valve can update it, I'm sure they could put it to DX11 and all the recent stuff if they wanted to whereas CoD's engine has stagnated since CoD4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal View Post
snip

Thats how it SHOULD be!

Stop worrying about the rest and just get your frag on in whatever flavor suits you all best!
So essentially, how it should be is paying $50 for a map and feature pack once a year? Source does that but for free, look at TF2...I personally can't stand the gameplay of CoD, even CoD4 was horrid for me and I enjoyed that game and played all the way through it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #242 of 258
PC gaming is in all reality no more expensive than console gaming. If you turn the quality settings down to match those found on consoles, then your system will last just as long as a console. I've been using my system for a year now and still can play all the latest games just fine, even with only a single 5770.
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #243 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by transhour View Post
GPL protects that "some free code" you pointed out, and i was pointing out that if IW only used the GPL'ed source code, then they would be bound by law, to release their modifications...that is how gpl works, you can use our stuff, but we want your stuff in return...with a bit of research more than just going to wiki, you would know that the source code that was used for the IW engine, was infact released to them under a proprietary license, which allowed them to modify and use the code how they want, for as long as they wanted, without having to pushing any of their modification back to the GPL'ed code...its called dual license. so yeah it is important to discern that they didn't use it...



so when your argument fails, and you can't prove me wrong, the rest of the facts become irrelevant and you switch tactics?




again you seem to be confusing a lot of facts here.

a lot of game studios wont bother with creating their own engine, so they will lease a license from another company, there are actual companies out there, that all they do is create engines...and there are games developers out there that use many different types of engines inside a game...just not a single engine.

there are different levels of engines, along with type, some just do rendering, others handle physics, some do audio, video, there is even on that handles the lip syncing of rendered characters...

not sure how your logic works tbh...(example)each iteration of windows is based on the code before, so you essentially have code in windows 7, that was ported/forked/redone/remains the same as code that was in windows 2.0...windows didn't build their networking from the ground up, but chose to use BSD's as a framework...(example)

what IW does, is not abnormal or an exception to the rule, it is the rule...what DICE does, isn't always going to be the best solution...and it might even prove fatal if bf3 isn't all that it cracked up to be (it wouldn't be the first time we were mislead by pre-rendered cutscenes and "authentic gameplay" videos...) to claim greatness about an engine that no game that has be released, is using it, is not only foolish, but a poor argument maker...

again for what is red, i will retiterate for you:

doom 3's engine is not id tech 3 (i know it has to be confusing since they both have 3's in their name, but doom 3 uses id tech 4, id tech 3 was released a few years after doom 2, and released several years before doom 3.)

id tech 4 might use technology and code taken from id tech 3, but as stated before this is the rule not an exception.

and again, doom 3 uses id tech 4, probably why id said it would look like crap on a console of that era...as for why COD runs on the Wii, i'd imagine it is cause the engine is doing its job correctly, by being expanded upon for use for the wii, and its ability to port to it...again, this is a "feature" of most engines, the ability to port to several platforms using one code base...its where most gamers get the term "crappy console port" cause the game was designed for a console, and then the engine was used to port it for use on a PC...

on a side note, a personal note, an opinion, not to be confused with being a fact or stated truth...i like the COD series, i don't like BF series...frostbite 2 might be a great engine, i don't know since there are no games out that use it, and from last i heard, it will be several months (i think November) before anything that is said about it can be backed up with actual proof...

i think people get so caught up in these "engine" wars, that they miss the fundamental fact...engine's do not establish game play, they do not build story line, and they definitely don't care if you like them or not...there is a lot more to a game than what engine it uses. a lot of peoples "opinions" about this subject do not reflect the abilities of an engine...its simply ignorance of what an engine does that gets people all in a twist or have them beating the war drums for one over the other.

DICE produces their engine, but it doesn't automatically make any of their games better cause they have chosen to produce in house, over "renting" some one else's engine. we wouldn't have a lot of great games that we love, if we were really so gung ho about supporting developers that only use in house engines...

COD is a very successful franchise, millions of copies have been sold, tons of people play online, is it the ideal game, maybe not for you, but for millions who have bought it, and play, i'd imagine would disagree with your assertion it is a crappy game.

there will always people who are going to hate, and that is great cause we are allowed to develop our own opinions, but please for all things that stand for intelligence, if you are going to argue, please verify before you claim something is a fact.
So to cut your wall of text & techno-babble short, engines don't make better games, blah blah. Tell me something I don't know...

I have no idea why you mention story or gameplay, since pretty much all COD is as generic as they come in both of those terms (*insert country name here* has taken all the nukes and turned the world into a war zone, you're another run-of-the-mill US war hero with your buddies voiced over by famous Hollywood actors here to save the world from a communist terrorist-filled future, blah blah blah etc). The only thing IW/Treyarch and their publishers have to do, besides running advertising campaigns and throw in a bunch of extra kill types, is make a decent port on the PC, and they fail miserably at doing this, by ignoring the PC community and what they want.

And I don't know why the hell you compare to BF3, when BC2 owns any COD game to date, be it graphics or gameplay wise. You then bring up sales which is the most worthless counter-argument I've ever heard, after your little "engines gon't make great stories/gameplay" speech. FIFA/Pro Evo also sell millions of copies, doesn't mean they have much, if anything going for them in either the story or the gameplay department. What pisses me and everyone else off is that it's getting bad enough with COD becoming the new FIFA of the FPS genre, but the fact that their current portovers are piss poor compared to any of their previous efforts and getting worse with every latest release, while being more demanding (almost being an emulation of a console port) which takes the cake now. This article is them saying "so long as the generic formula still works on the console crowds and they keep buying into it, we don't care", which makes them a joke of a games developer.
Edited by Am* - 3/14/11 at 5:45pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #244 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am* View Post
So to cut your wall of text & techno-babble short, engines don't make better games, blah blah. Tell me something I don't know...

I have no idea why you mention story or gameplay, since pretty much all COD is as generic as they come in both of those terms (*insert country name here* has taken all the nukes and turned the world into a war zone, you're another run-of-the-mill US war hero with your buddies voiced over by famous Hollywood actors here to save the world from a communist terrorist-filled future, blah blah blah etc). The only thing IW/Treyarch and their publishers have to do, besides running advertising campaigns and throw in a bunch of extra kill types, is make a decent port on the PC, and they fail miserably at doing this, by ignoring the PC community and what they want.

And I don't know why the hell you compare to BF3, when BC2 owns any COD game to date, be it graphics or gameplay wise. You then bring up sales which is the most worthless counter-argument I've ever heard, after your little "engines gon't make great stories/gameplay" speech. FIFA/Pro Evo also sell millions of copies, doesn't mean they have much, if anything going for them in either the story or the gameplay department. What pisses me and everyone else off is that it's getting bad enough with COD becoming the new FIFA of the FPS genre, but the fact that their current portovers are piss poor compared to any of their previous efforts and getting worse with every latest release, while being more demanding (almost being an emulation of a console port) which takes the cake now. This article is them saying "so long as the generic formula still works on the console crowds and they keep buying into it, we don't care", which makes them a joke of a games developer.
took you 3 days to come back with a response?

would you like some cheese?

since facts don't matter anymore it seems in any thread, and its so wrong to point out facts any more, i guess i will just have to resort to personal insults and opinions to make a pointless point!

enjoy!
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #245 of 258
I like this. It means Activision will continue to milk COD as they have been, then when it dies out to the battlefield franchise they'll kill off COD ( Just as they killed off Guitar Hero ) and move on to... something else.

Personally I think depending on how the next Call of Dooty does will determine whether or not they'll start making a new engine. Obviously if sales are less than black ops they'll start re-thinking things. Though to be honest, even if it only sells HALF of what black ops sold, that's still more successful than the majority of sales/franchises

Who knows.. maybe COD will use the new rage engine but modified
i7k
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Seagate Barracuda Deepcool Assassin Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung KS8000 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll ASUS VG248QE SAMSUNG 2433BW Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
i7k
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asrock z87 Extreme6 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Seagate Barracuda Deepcool Assassin Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung KS8000 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll ASUS VG248QE SAMSUNG 2433BW Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Corsair 750D Logitech G600 Creative Sound Blaster Z 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #246 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by transhour View Post
took you 3 days to come back with a response?

would you like some cheese?

since facts don't matter anymore it seems in any thread, and its so wrong to point out facts any more, i guess i will just have to resort to personal insults and opinions to make a pointless point!

enjoy!
Then your a troll, transhour, and should be treated as such.
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #247 of 258
They are not capable of making a new engine. At least not one anywhere near as good as the current and they know it. So they will milk it like Guitar Hero.

All those employees from IW that made COD2-MW2 quit! They made the current engine.

Activision knows as soon as this engine is scrapped IW and Call of Duty is done for completely. I mean they are relying on Treyarch now who has only made mediocre COD games.

Face it Activision can get maybe 1 or 2 more hits before all the Console tards realize what hit them.
post #248 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
PC gaming is in all reality no more expensive than console gaming. If you turn the quality settings down to match those found on consoles, then your system will last just as long as a console. I've been using my system for a year now and still can play all the latest games just fine, even with only a single 5770.
LOL tell me about it man, I'm still playing quite a few 2009-2010 games on my sig rig almost maxed out for most (most of my PC is pre-x360 technology). If that's not proving how much consoles are holding PCs back I don't know what ever will.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #249 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by transhour View Post
took you 3 days to come back with a response?

would you like some cheese?

since facts don't matter anymore it seems in any thread, and its so wrong to point out facts any more, i guess i will just have to resort to personal insults and opinions to make a pointless point!

enjoy!
Sorry bud, unlike you I unfortunately have something called a job, so forgive me, master, for failing to answer your oh-so important call.

/sarcasm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #250 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
PC gaming is in all reality no more expensive than console gaming. If you turn the quality settings down to match those found on consoles, then your system will last just as long as a console. I've been using my system for a year now and still can play all the latest games just fine, even with only a single 5770.
Biggest misunderstanding there is. Console gaming is FAR more expensive then PC.
The AMD machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055t @ 3.8 GHZ Asus M4A79XTD EVO XFX Radeon 6850 1GB OCed G.Skill Ripsaw 16 GB (2x8GB) 1512 mhz @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|WD Caviar Black 640GB|Seagate Barracudas 2TB X2| Lite-On Black 24X DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" das Keyboard Model S Brown  OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU Coolermaster Storm Scout 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor DeathAdder Narlyfish 
  hide details  
Reply
The AMD machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055t @ 3.8 GHZ Asus M4A79XTD EVO XFX Radeon 6850 1GB OCed G.Skill Ripsaw 16 GB (2x8GB) 1512 mhz @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|WD Caviar Black 640GB|Seagate Barracudas 2TB X2| Lite-On Black 24X DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" das Keyboard Model S Brown  OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU Coolermaster Storm Scout 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor DeathAdder Narlyfish 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [EG]New COD engine "counter-productive"