Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Question about fan controllers, Y-adapters, and RPMs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about fan controllers, Y-adapters, and RPMs

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hey folks, Im just wondering if a fan controller will display the RPM if TWO fans are connected to ONE channel via a Y-adapter.

Thanks alot for any answers!

GINK
The Dark Knight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.1ghz NB @ 2.6ghz ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 MSI 6950 FROZR II 940/1425 G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
corsair force III 90gb ssd Seagate 7200.12 1TB ASUS DVDRW Win 7 Ult x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Asus 23.6 + OLD 17 LCD + 32 1080 TV Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
The Dark Knight
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.1ghz NB @ 2.6ghz ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 MSI 6950 FROZR II 940/1425 G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
corsair force III 90gb ssd Seagate 7200.12 1TB ASUS DVDRW Win 7 Ult x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Asus 23.6 + OLD 17 LCD + 32 1080 TV Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
It will display the RPM. The only thing you need to be careful of is not to exceed the total amps per channel on the fan controller. If you're running two fans on more than one channel you will want to check how many amps the control will do vs how many amps the fan use, to make sure you dont exceed it.
Edited by Krymore - 3/2/11 at 4:47pm
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
If you connect two of the "same or similar" spec'd fans with a 3-pin to 3/2-pin y-splitter the controller will read RPM correctly.

yhst-65556269779593_2139_2462415
post #4 of 12
When combining two sign-wave signals together there is always the change of improper readings. So I must disagree with the previous posts. While having two rpm signals feeding into a single readout may work sometimes things like air restriction can cause the fans to spin at different speeds and throw off readings.

I think that two fans can be connected to a fan controller if (like stated before me) the controller is capable of outputting enough current per channel to power both fans at full speed. Although I would only hook up the tach signal from one fan for a more trust-able reading. Both fans should be spinning at roughly the same speed as long as one is not restricted more so than the other.
Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymenii;12589021 
If you connect two of the "same or similar" spec'd fans with a 3-pin to 3/2-pin y-splitter the controller will read RPM correctly.

yhst-65556269779593_2139_2462415

It will read RPM correctly from the one fan connected to the side with the yellow wire. The other one wont have any reading.

I agree with tw34k, if yo try to combine the RPM signals it wont read right.
Edited by Full_Tilt - 3/2/11 at 6:25pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt;12589212 
It will read RPM correctly from the one fan connected to the side with the yellow wire. The other one wont have any reading.

I agree with tw34k, if yo try to combine the RPM signals it wont read right.


Or use this cable(two yellow wires) you will get a reading but like the previous poster said it might be slightly off

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123321&cm_re=3_pin_y_cable-_-12-123-321-_-Product

If you are using the same fans on one controller it wont really matter because the readout would be very close to the same unless you have gale forced winds inside your case.

Here is a similar post -
http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/724975-fan-controller-6-fans-help-please.html
Edited by Krymore - 3/2/11 at 6:48pm
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krymore;12589456 
Or use this cable(two yellow wires) you will get a reading but like the previous poster said it might be slightly off

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123321&cm_re=3_pin_y_cable-_-12-123-321-_-Product

If you are using the same fans on one controller it wont really matter because the readout would be very close to the same unless you have gale forced winds inside your case.

Here is a similar post -
http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/724975-fan-controller-6-fans-help-please.html

It will be a lot more than slightly off, if the fans are at the same speed the reading will be double unless the signals happen to match up perfectly in which case it will read right, so it would most likely fluctuate between double and right.
If theyre different speeds the reading like be less than double but will fluctuate wildly and unpredictably.

I suspect all the "Y cables" are like the one above in that only one of the fans get the signal wire. Thats the only way itll work.
Edited by Full_Tilt - 3/2/11 at 7:45pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k;12589176 
When combining two sign-wave signals together there is always the change of improper readings. So I must disagree with the previous posts. While having two rpm signals feeding into a single readout may work sometimes things like air restriction can cause the fans to spin at different speeds and throw off readings.

...

The OP asked "if two fans" not "of two fans". The OP didn't specify and I didn't assume that he wanted RPM displayed from both fans. My post is correct and the adapter shown is the best way to connect two fans together with a "single" RPM feed to the controller.
post #9 of 12
Correct, I was mostly challenging the notion that the controller would read properly if the two tach signals were fed into the same input pin on a controller.
Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Daily Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 555 Black @ 4.0 MSI 870A-G54 Radeon HD 5850 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 22" Primary, 19" Secondary Razor Reclusa (Temp) Cheap 650 that I'm embarrassed of. 
CaseMouse
CM HAF 932 Black G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymenii;12590264 
The OP asked "if two fans" not "of two fans". The OP didn't specify and I didn't assume that he wanted RPM displayed from both fans. My post is correct and the adapter shown is the best way to connect two fans together with a "single" RPM feed to the controller.

If the OP wanted to be confused, I think we did a good job.
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Close Combat
(14 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz Asus GeForce GTX570 2 x 4GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1 TB Seagate 7200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ 128GB SSD LG Bluray Drive Windows 7 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor BlackWidow Mechanical NZXT 850W Halo 90 Corsair 650D Logitec G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Question about fan controllers, Y-adapters, and RPMs