Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Stuttering Everywhere [Videos, Browsers, Games]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stuttering Everywhere [Videos, Browsers, Games] - Page 5

post #41 of 152
OP, I would say that you would want to swich your PCI-e to second gen mode, and your Memory timings are weird 7-7-7-21 on DDR2, it should be more like 5-5-5-18.
As stated before by others, Look at replacing the old phenom with a 955 BE its less than $150 AUD and it will work with your current set up (it will also smash the old gen phenom).
Aces and Eights
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 X4 BE [3.82 Ghz] Lanparty DK 790FX  HIS 6870 X 2 CFX 4Gig OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Hitachi 1TB raid 0 Seagate Barracuda Sony DVD RW DRU 830A  Coolermaster Hyper 212+  
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 64Bit Benq HD 2200 Antec True Power 650W HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Aces and Eights
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 X4 BE [3.82 Ghz] Lanparty DK 790FX  HIS 6870 X 2 CFX 4Gig OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Hitachi 1TB raid 0 Seagate Barracuda Sony DVD RW DRU 830A  Coolermaster Hyper 212+  
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 64Bit Benq HD 2200 Antec True Power 650W HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 152
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Nope, not dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
OP, I would say that you would want to swich your PCI-e to second gen mode, and your Memory timings are weird 7-7-7-21 on DDR2, it should be more like 5-5-5-18.
As stated before by others, Look at replacing the old phenom with a 955 BE its less than $150 AUD and it will work with your current set up (it will also smash the old gen phenom).
LOL I kinda know a little about the RAM clocks. Mine aren't rated to be able to do that sadly IIRC.

I can post the Kingston Memory info sometime and the site where it says it doesn't go that low.

Mine doesn't even clock on 1066Mhz by default and I have to increase voltages and change ratios

There were no noticeable performance for me.. maybe in synth benches but not really anything noticeable..

Maybe I'd try that if all else fails just in case (fiddling with the Timings and Memory Voltage [within Manufacturers specs not OC])

+ rep.

Anyway, I will try the enabling [Auto] in the PCI_EX 1 option instead of [Disabled] a little later.

The thing is.. I really do not want to purchase anything until I am 90% sure that the thing I am to replace will really solve it.

I am far from expert but what's not to say there's just something wrong with the Power Supply's MoBo connection.. or it's the RAM that's at fault..

I'd really love to get more opinions, suggestions and recommendations before jumping the gun..

I'd love to rule out the PSU, RAM and HDD first before blindly getting a 955 BE.

Also, I am stupid as **** and can barely understand how to update BIOS..

I hear I have to update the bios if ever I get a new CPU and it's a scary process (needing capital probably before taking the risk)

sorry for ranting too much
Edited by tubers - 3/5/11 at 5:11pm
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 152
When troubleshooting, you have to start with the initial problem and work backwards. IE; fiddling with the software/installations first to resolve the issue. If you can't get it working as should be with that you follow the next steps:

Verify nothing is wrong with Windows, using CHKDSK & SFC. If all is well then you check the HDD with HD Tune (or other similar programs) for bad sectors. Assuming all is well as such you move on to one of two next options -

* You can go the route of reinstalling Windows, hopefully eliminating the initial problem/s.

OR

* You leave your Windows installation and move to hardware trouble shooting.

For hardware troubleshooting you should test two things first:

RAM w/ Memtest86+ (A bootable memory checking program) or HCI Memtest (a program that runs in Windows) and you test your PSU (using a multimeter and jumping with a paper clip). *** Run Memest86+ on one stick of RAM at a time, not both or more than one at a time. ***

If those two things check out, then start by enabling onboard video (if you have it) and removing your video card and/or replacing the video card with another one (same or different) and testing.

From there you can test other peripherals by disabling them (CD-R/RW / DVD / Sound Card) or removing them.

After testing things out from a hardware perspective, then you need to be sure your BIOS is setup correctly. IE; if you have a sound card installed (ASUS, Creative, w/e) be sure you disabled your onboard sound (unless you need to use both for some reason).

Other things to check: Direct X files/installation, updated drivers, updated BIOS, firmware updates on devices (HDD, CD-R/RW).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 152
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
When troubleshooting, you have to start with the initial problem and work backwards. IE; fiddling with the software/installations first to resolve the issue. If you can't get it working as should be with that you follow the next steps:

Verify nothing is wrong with Windows, using CHKDSK & SFC. If all is well then you check the HDD with HD Tune (or other similar programs) for bad sectors. Assuming all is well as such you move on to one of two next options -

* You can go the route of reinstalling Windows, hopefully eliminating the initial problem/s.

OR

* You leave your Windows installation and move to hardware trouble shooting.

For hardware troubleshooting you should test two things first:

RAM w/ Memtest86+ (A bootable memory checking program) or HCI Memtest (a program that runs in Windows) and you test your PSU (using a multimeter and jumping with a paper clip). *** Run Memest86+ on one stick of RAM at a time, not both or more than one at a time. ***

If those two things check out, then start by enabling onboard video (if you have it) and removing your video card and/or replacing the video card with another one (same or different) and testing.

From there you can test other peripherals by disabling them (CD-R/RW / DVD / Sound Card) or removing them.

After testing things out from a hardware perspective, then you need to be sure your BIOS is setup correctly. IE; if you have a sound card installed (ASUS, Creative, w/e) be sure you disabled your onboard sound (unless you need to use both for some reason).

Other things to check: Direct X files/installation, updated drivers, updated BIOS, firmware updates on devices (HDD, CD-R/RW).
Nice. Thanks for the recommendation.

+rep

I guess the easiest among those for me is to reformat xD

Is it safe to update firmwares of the HDD and my DVD Burner? Sounds like something that can brick like a BIOS update xD
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 152
It's safe as long as you don't lose power. Also don't update firmware from a file over the internet/network, copy it locally first (if possible, some programs/utilities to do this download them for you and update them for you).

HDD's don't usually require firmware updates, but I remember Seagate issuing some for a series of drives that needed it (or at least I think I remember that..). DVD/CD drives seem to usually get at least one firmware update in their product life.

Updating the firmware on your drive (DVD/CD) isn't going to help stuttering (unless you're playing the movie from that device, etc), I just included that as the things you look for to update your system completely - not just finding the newest/best drivers available.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 152
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the thread or not, but maybe try a new SATA cable? My friend had some stuttering issues like you had during videos, music, and gaming as well. Eventually, his PC would no longer boot to Windows and it was only his SATA cable.

We actually found out that's why his old PC died because we tried to use the cable from his dead rig on his new one and it wouldn't boot

But that would be something easy you could try without formatting.
Ed's PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 BE ASUS M4A88TD Diamond 6870 2x2 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.5 TB WD Green Win 7 64 bit Acer 20" Wide Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
650W CM GX-650w NZXT Guardian ATX Mid MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
Ed's PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 BE ASUS M4A88TD Diamond 6870 2x2 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.5 TB WD Green Win 7 64 bit Acer 20" Wide Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
650W CM GX-650w NZXT Guardian ATX Mid MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 152
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
It's safe as long as you don't lose power. Also don't update firmware from a file over the internet/network, copy it locally first (if possible, some programs/utilities to do this download them for you and update them for you).

HDD's don't usually require firmware updates, but I remember Seagate issuing some for a series of drives that needed it (or at least I think I remember that..). DVD/CD drives seem to usually get at least one firmware update in their product life.

Updating the firmware on your drive (DVD/CD) isn't going to help stuttering (unless you're playing the movie from that device, etc), I just included that as the things you look for to update your system completely - not just finding the newest/best drivers available.
Hmm.. What do you mean copy it locally?

+rep

So, I guess I'd leave the firmware updates as the last result xD Sounds a little risky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgarion View Post
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the thread or not, but maybe try a new SATA cable? My friend had some stuttering issues like you had during videos, music, and gaming as well. Eventually, his PC would no longer boot to Windows and it was only his SATA cable.

We actually found out that's why his old PC died because we tried to use the cable from his dead rig on his new one and it wouldn't boot

But that would be something easy you could try without formatting.
I will try that too if ever.

+ rep

UPDATE:

HD Tune 2.55 Hard Disk Utility Result from "Error Scan"

All Green, No Red
Damaged Blocks 0.0%


at least on my Main Disk (1.5 TB and has my current OS).

But it said the ff on the "Health Tab"

(05) Reallocated Sector Count:

Current:100, Worst:100, Threshold: 36, Data:8, Status: OK

(0A) Spin Retry Count:

Current:100, Worst:100, Threshold: 97, Data:11, Status: OK

(B8) (unknow attribute):

Current:100, Worst:100, Threshold: 99, Data:0, Status: OK


All highlighted with Yellow

Will post the results of the other last drive (MAXTOR) soon.
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Hmm.. What do you mean copy it locally?

+rep

So, I guess I'd leave the firmware updates as the last result xD Sounds a little risky



I will try that too if ever.

+ rep

UPDATE:

HD Tune 2.55 Hard Disk Utility Result from "Error Scan"

All Green, No Red
Damaged Blocks 0.0%


at least on my Main Disk (1.5 TB and has my current OS).

But it said the ff on the "Health Tab"

(05) Reallocated Sector Count:

Current:100, Worst:100, Threshold: 36, Data:8, Status: OK

(0A) Spin Retry Count:

Current:100, Worst:100, Threshold: 97, Data:11, Status: OK

(B8) (unknow attribute):

Current:100, Worst:100, Threshold: 99, Data:0, Status: OK


All highlighted with Yellow

Will post the results of the other last drive (MAXTOR) soon.
Pretty sure that's not a good thing...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL ASUS XFX  SAMSUNG 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD/ST LG KUHLER WINDOWS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG/SAMSUNG IBM MODEL M CORSAIR THERMALTAKE 
MouseMouse PadAudio
MS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 REGULAR LARGE PAD ONBOARD but it USED TO BE A XONAR DG  
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 152
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Pretty sure that's not a good thing...
How sure?

Why would it say Status: OK then? xD

Aren't the Red Blocks my priority?

I'll try running HD Tune on 2 old computers that don't "stutter" like mine and see if they have similar results.
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 152
Thread Starter 
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207957

My Drive Name is:

ST31500341AS Revision CC1H according to Seagate's Drive Detect

It's red.

It says in the "About Drive Detect" that:

Drives that are listed in RED have know firmware updates and should be checked.

BUT!:

You can see that my drive is listed here:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207957

and it says:

Note: If your drive has CC firmware, your drive is not affected and no further action is required. Attempting to flash the firmware of a drive with CC firmware will result in rendering your drive inoperable.

Good thing I didn't!
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Stuttering Everywhere [Videos, Browsers, Games]