Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Help Flashing Sapphire HD 6870 Bios
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Flashing Sapphire HD 6870 Bios

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Hello every one, I just bought a pair of this bad boys and they are great!, B U T ...

No matter what I do I cannot succesfully flash their bios.

I used the -unlock command (because their are locked) I succesfully unlocked and apparently flashed them, to a moderate 950/1100 OC without touching the volts but adjusting the fans and no matter how I try, when I get back to windows I get a BSOD from atikmdag.sys.

This is the stuff:
The cards where installed on Windows 7 Ult. x64 with their original bioses and they run great. After a lot of testing I decided to settle on a 970/1150 OC with a slight increase in voltage from 1.175 to 1.187 (the value I got from using trixx) and to tune the fans a bit.

I flashed using ATIFlash (dos) with no problems at all but as soon as I boot into windows BSOD.

If I uninstall ATI drivers and let windows see the card as a standard VGA card, no problem but as soon as I put the drivers back BOOMM BSOD.

Do I have to reinstall windows to make them work??
I did erase the drivers with DriverSweeper in Safe Mode if you're asking, and no, it is not my first time flashing bios on a graphics card. I did it on a Sapphire HD 5830 recently too with no issues, had done it with Nvidia in the past too.

Any ideas??

BTW running Win7 x64 and Catalyst 11.2

Martin.-
post #2 of 30
Your link does not work, what card is it? What are you trying to accomplish by flashing it?
Comp
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K EVGA Z77 FTW Two 6970s Xfired 950 MHz/ 1450 MHz +20 8 gigs DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD 1)Blue ray player 2) DVD writter Linux from scratch 24in Gateway 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Its a keyboard 1200 Danger Den Doublewide yes 
Mouse Pad
Jack Skellington (overclocked) 
  hide details  
Reply
Comp
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K EVGA Z77 FTW Two 6970s Xfired 950 MHz/ 1450 MHz +20 8 gigs DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD 1)Blue ray player 2) DVD writter Linux from scratch 24in Gateway 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Its a keyboard 1200 Danger Den Doublewide yes 
Mouse Pad
Jack Skellington (overclocked) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiger View Post
Your link does not work, what card is it? What are you trying to accomplish by flashing it?
This. Link worked fine for me though. But why are we flashing the bios if it was working fine before?
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 
I'm flashing for the same reason other people do in this forum overclocking!!
I hate software overclocking, too messy something always go wrong so I do my homework with software, find a sweet spot and then... to the BIOS it goes.
No more afterburner or things like that.
Is it too hard to understand?

Martin.-
post #5 of 30
I'd say its safer overclocking with software, than OC'ing with changed BIOS, if thats what you're trying to accomplish.
Stock
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 550 - [3.1GHz] Asus M4A78LT-M Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @stock Kingston HyperX 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
1x 1TB HDD & 2x 100GB SSDs Corsair H50 Win 7 64bit Logitech K200 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850W Chieftec Design Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Stock
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 550 - [3.1GHz] Asus M4A78LT-M Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @stock Kingston HyperX 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
1x 1TB HDD & 2x 100GB SSDs Corsair H50 Win 7 64bit Logitech K200 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850W Chieftec Design Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTB View Post
I'm flashing for the same reason other people do in this forum overclocking!!
I hate software overclocking, too messy something always go wrong so I do my homework with software, find a sweet spot and then... to the BIOS it goes.
No more afterburner or things like that.
Is it too hard to understand?

Martin.-
Well there is really nothing wrong with using CCC to OC you video card, but here is a guide on how to flash that bios link
Comp
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K EVGA Z77 FTW Two 6970s Xfired 950 MHz/ 1450 MHz +20 8 gigs DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD 1)Blue ray player 2) DVD writter Linux from scratch 24in Gateway 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Its a keyboard 1200 Danger Den Doublewide yes 
Mouse Pad
Jack Skellington (overclocked) 
  hide details  
Reply
Comp
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K EVGA Z77 FTW Two 6970s Xfired 950 MHz/ 1450 MHz +20 8 gigs DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD 1)Blue ray player 2) DVD writter Linux from scratch 24in Gateway 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Its a keyboard 1200 Danger Den Doublewide yes 
Mouse Pad
Jack Skellington (overclocked) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the link Zaiger, I read the guide and this is not my first BIOS rodeo the problem is that with windows up and running uninstalling the Catalyst drivers doesn't seem enough for it to see the cards with the new bios.
As usual something on windows seems to "remember" the state of things before flashing and can't let go of that memory and thus I get a BSOD every single time I boot with The catalyst drivers installed.

What I would love to know is if by reinstalling windows with the cards flashed will solve the problem or not. Because maybe this is a Catalyst problem that refuses to accept the new bios parameters in the card knowing that they are not "default".

BTW: the link works and I don't think I'm being a jerk. In any case... sorry if something I wrote offended you in some way.

@Davidsen: what I'm trying to accomplish is the same as what we do with our CPU's an OC that is not dependant on software to run. I mean, I have an AMD cpu and I don't use overdrive to OC it, I go for the BIOS in the motherboard. The only difference with a gfx card is that the bios has to be programed differently, that's all. That way, when I boot my pc I have the card running full 3D at my desired speed without having to depend on software and profiles and so on.

Martin.-
Edited by MasterTB - 3/3/11 at 11:51am
post #8 of 30
newest Driver Sweeper in safemode after doing the uninstall. I had to do that for mine to work.
and uninstall Afterburner also just in case.
and make sure you uninstall the drivers before you do the bios flash.
Edited by clark_b - 3/3/11 at 11:54am
Primary
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst 4x 2GB G.skill DDR2 1100 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Velociraptor 300GB Caviar Green 500GB LG 24x Super-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous-X RT Win 7 Home Premium x64 ASUS VH222H Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Cyborg R.A.T. 7 AKG K 702 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst 4x 2GB G.skill DDR2 1100 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB WD Velociraptor 300GB Caviar Green 500GB LG 24x Super-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright Venomous-X RT Win 7 Home Premium x64 ASUS VH222H Corsair HX650 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Cyborg R.A.T. 7 AKG K 702 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks clark b, did all that and it still didn't work.
The bios was flashed correctly with ATIFlash, booted into windows fine but as soon as I reinstalled the drivers, boom BSOD.
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTB View Post
Thanks for the link Zaiger, I read the guide and this is not my first BIOS rodeo the problem is that with windows up and running uninstalling the Catalyst drivers doesn't seem enough for it to see the cards with the new bios.
As usual something on windows seems to "remember" the state of things before flashing and can't let go of that memory and thus I get a BSOD every single time I boot with The catalyst drivers installed.

What I would love to know is if by reinstalling windows with the cards flashed will solve the problem or not. Because maybe this is a Catalyst problem that refuses to accept the new bios parameters in the card knowing that they are not "default".

BTW: the link works and I don't think I'm being a jerk. In any case... sorry if something I wrote offended you in some way.

@Davidsen: what I'm trying to accomplish is the same as what we do with our CPU's an OC that is not dependant on software to run. I mean, I have an AMD cpu and I don't use overdrive to OC it, I go for the BIOS in the motherboard. The only difference with a gfx card is that the bios has to be programed differently, that's all. That way, when I boot my pc I have the card running full 3D at my desired speed without having to depend on software and profiles and so on.

Martin.-
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_b View Post
newest Driver Sweeper in safemode after doing the uninstall. I had to do that for mine to work.
and uninstall Afterburner also just in case.
and make sure you uninstall the drivers before you do the bios flash.
This would be my assessment as well then.
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
My gaming desk
(14 items)
 
Miner
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire 290x Patriot Viper Extreme Division 4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 460 WD 1TB Blue Koolance 380A EK-FC R9-290X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 64-bit Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Pro Panel DUCKY! Antec HCP 850W 
CaseMouse
Hand built wooden desk Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A10 7850K ASUS A88X-Pro Sapphire 280x Sapphire 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Patriot Viper Xtreme Div4 1866mhz 60GB Vertex2 WD Caviar 500AAKS XSPC Rasa 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 64 bit EVGA 1000W G2 Thermaltake Level 10 GTS 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Help Flashing Sapphire HD 6870 Bios