Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Looking for a non-performance-killing PCI sound card?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a non-performance-killing PCI sound card? - Page 2

post #11 of 31
The asus sound cards are well known to be better than creative products.The xonar dx is what you need.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-750 4.3@1.375v Asus Maximus III Formula Asus ENGTX465 4gb G Skill 2000 Mhz.Trident @2133 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 2 50GB SSD/WD 500GB Blue/WD640GB Black Samsung DVD/RW Corsair H-50 Windows 10 home 64 Bit Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24"1080P LED Asus VE248H Abs M1 Cooler master silent pro 600 modular M600 RS-60... Lian Li Lancool PCK-58 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Kinzu no 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-750 4.3@1.375v Asus Maximus III Formula Asus ENGTX465 4gb G Skill 2000 Mhz.Trident @2133 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 2 50GB SSD/WD 500GB Blue/WD640GB Black Samsung DVD/RW Corsair H-50 Windows 10 home 64 Bit Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24"1080P LED Asus VE248H Abs M1 Cooler master silent pro 600 modular M600 RS-60... Lian Li Lancool PCK-58 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Kinzu no 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
Xonar D1. I almost flipped out of my chair when I saw the Xtreme Gamer for 80 pounds. Who in their right mind would ever pay for that. It's worth 30 American dollars. Which is like...15 pounds?

ASUS Xonar D1 - Sound card - 24-bit - 192 kHz - 116 dB SNR - 7.1 - PCI - ASUS AV100 - low profile: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

47 pounds.

You could almost get a D2 for the price of that silly Creative you've posted.

I know you had bad experience with the DG, but the DX is a completely different card.

If you really must grab a Creative for who knows what reason, at least find it MUCH cheaper..

Creative Soundblaster X Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Like that (lol, it's more expensive than a D1, hilarious).
No thanks, I'd go back to on-board long before I ever buy another POS Xonar. My question to you is who in their right mind would buy another Xonar after using one?

And tell me something I don't know, all companies in UK play a little game called rip-off Britain here, nothing you can tell me will change that. We pay twice what you lot pay for most things, and that's excluding the 20% tax on everything we buy (called VAT).

And I'm not buying it from Creative for that price, I'm paying about £60 for it.
Edited by Am* - 3/3/11 at 7:46am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 31
Thread Starter 
Well it seems that even people who own the card I mentioned have commented, but haven't answered my question: does it post-process all audio on its own or not??? And are there any problems with it I should know about, besides driver incompatibility with Vista/7?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 31

Creative cards used to have lots of problems and crappy drivers back in the day. I've heard about them less and less...but then again not many people are buying those cards anymore.

You're pretty angry about your DG, but it's like being mad at buying some Ford Pinto that broke down on you and never wanting to buy a Mustang from Ford. Kinda' funny.

Especially since it's obviously the better card than any creative solution until much much higher.

Then again, if you're not looking to have awesome sound and just need something to work...why not go Creative Audio?

2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
Creative cards used to have lots of problems and crappy drivers back in the day. I've heard about them less and less...but then again not many people are buying those cards anymore.
You're pretty angry about your DG, but it's like being mad at buying some Ford Pinto that broke down on you and never wanting to buy a Mustang from Ford. Kinda' funny.
Especially since it's obviously the better card than any creative solution until much much higher.

Then again, if you're not looking to have awesome sound and just need something to work...why not go Creative Audio?

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI OEM Sound Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Then again, not many people are still using Windows XP anymore. I don't care about it supporting Windows Vista/7, providing it does the job in XP. Same goes for "back in the day" support; Sony used to give out 50 Year guarantees on their Stereos and CRT TVs, doesn't mean I'm going to expect them to do the same nowadays.

Sorry but that's total BS. My friend had a very expensive Xonar (Essence something) and had major stuttering/latency issues when running EAX (what are you gonna recommend for him to do, get a crappier one for everything non-Dolby? One for each occasion, maybe?). And I'm not going to spend another almost £150 for an even more expensive and useless paperweight to find that out. Also please don't give me that "it's a low end card which is why it sucks" BS. I can buy a GT 430 from Nvidia, doesn't mean because I payed less I expect it to screw with my system and not perform as well in any tasks it advertises to do well in compared to a GTX 580 (Blu-ray playback for example). Besides, I've been on their website and seen their support, they barely release one new driver every year, which is a joke as far as aftersales support goes.

And that Xtreme Audio card doesn't have hardware processing, it's probably another software emulation-supported card. I'm only interested in one that processes most if not all audio on its own, and Xtreme Gamer one is the only one I've seen that says that (prove me wrong?).
Edited by Am* - 3/3/11 at 8:48am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am* View Post
Then again, not many people are still using Windows XP anymore. I don't care about it supporting Windows Vista/7, providing it does the job in XP. Same goes for "back in the day" support; Sony used to give out 50 Year guarantees on their Stereos and CRT TVs, doesn't mean I'm going to expect them to do the same nowadays.

Sorry but that's total BS. My friend had a very expensive Xonar (Essence something) and had major stuttering/latency issues when running EAX (what are you gonna recommend for him to do, get a crappier one for everything non-Dolby? One for each occasion, maybe?). And I'm not going to spend another almost £150 for an even more expensive and useless paperweight to find that out. Also please don't give me that "it's a low end card which is why it sucks" BS. I can buy a GT 430 from Nvidia, doesn't mean because I payed less I expect it to screw with my system and not perform as well in any tasks it advertises to do well in compared to a GTX 580 (Blu-ray playback for example). Besides, I've been on their website and seen their support, they barely release one new driver every year, which is a joke as far as aftersales support goes.

And that Xtreme Audio card doesn't have hardware processing, it's probably another software emulation-supported card. I'm only interested in one that processes most if not all audio on its own, and Xtreme Gamer one is the only one I've seen that says that (prove me wrong?).
I'm saying you're the only person I've ever seen with the problem you're having. Almost no one complains about their Xonar DG or any Xonar for that matter.

I forgot you wanted hardware processing.

Well, it seems you don't want any good advice and are pretty stuck on the XtremeGamer.

I won't recommend it to you. I'll just say if you're going to buy it, make sure you don't pay that crazy price.

Hope you don't have the same problems with your new card.
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post
I'm saying you're the only person I've ever seen with the problem you're having. Almost no one complains about their Xonar DG or any Xonar for that matter.

I forgot you wanted hardware processing.

Well, it seems you don't want any good advice and are pretty stuck on the XtremeGamer.

I won't recommend it to you. I'll just say if you're going to buy it, make sure you don't pay that crazy price.

Hope you don't have the same problems with your new card.
I remember TwoCables mentioning he was having problems with his Xonar as well, so I'm not the only one. Also I recommend seeing the poll on this page (which has over 80% dissatisfied Xonar users with driver support).

Well I haven't bought it yet, but I also haven't seen any other PCI cards that can do hardware audio processing? Are there any other ones I'm missing, or is the Xtreme Gamer the only choice?
Edited by Am* - 3/3/11 at 9:10am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am* View Post
Too many to list. They're too old to get any patches, official or 3rd party. Some of these are so old, they do system info checks (I have to fool some of them into thinking I'm running a Voodoo or some other pre-historic graphics card, and the GTX 460 still plays nice surprisingly).
Have you tried Dosbox? It emulates old hardware pretty well, and with the right suffixes on a shortcut, you can set it to instantly boot into whatever game you want. Anything that wants a 32 bit Operating system means I need to use Dosbox or similar to get it to run. I hate to go on about it, but are you sure that this is the only way?
Little Messy
(16 items)
 
The 1720 (Laptop)
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 (@ 3.8) MSI 890GXM-G65 ASUS HD 6850 (@ 975/1125) G.Skill RipjawX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Eco Green Samsung F3 Sony DVD+-RW Writer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Arch Linux Dell ST2420 Microsoft Reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream II 600W NZXT Vulcan Logitech MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T8300 Dell's own 8600M 4.0GB Hyundai Electronics DDR2 
Hard DriveOS
250GB Hitachi / 250GB Samsung Windows Vista 32 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Messy
(16 items)
 
The 1720 (Laptop)
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 (@ 3.8) MSI 890GXM-G65 ASUS HD 6850 (@ 975/1125) G.Skill RipjawX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Eco Green Samsung F3 Sony DVD+-RW Writer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Arch Linux Dell ST2420 Microsoft Reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream II 600W NZXT Vulcan Logitech MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T8300 Dell's own 8600M 4.0GB Hyundai Electronics DDR2 
Hard DriveOS
250GB Hitachi / 250GB Samsung Windows Vista 32 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 31
You could probably look around and try to find an old Audigy 2 ZS as well. . If you check eBay you can find older Xfi Platinum's on there for under 50 pounds in fact I'm staring at one now for 34.99.
I hate money...
(16 items)
 
Old Rig
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k 4.5ghz Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EVGA GTX 780 TI SC G.Skill 16gb DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb OS  Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Games WD Black 1tb Data 22x Sata Dvd Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Steelseries 7G Corsair TX 950 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 540 Logitech G500s Creative Soundblaster Z 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 4.00ghz EVGA x58 SLI LE Diamond Radeon HD 6990 4gb  Crucial 12gb DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ocz Agility 2 120gb OS  Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Games WD Black 1tb Data 22x Sata Dvd Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro Acer 23" H233H Steelseries 7G Corsair TX 950 
CaseMouseAudio
CM HAF 932 Logitech G500 Creative Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
I hate money...
(16 items)
 
Old Rig
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k 4.5ghz Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EVGA GTX 780 TI SC G.Skill 16gb DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb OS  Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Games WD Black 1tb Data 22x Sata Dvd Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q Steelseries 7G Corsair TX 950 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide 540 Logitech G500s Creative Soundblaster Z 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 4.00ghz EVGA x58 SLI LE Diamond Radeon HD 6990 4gb  Crucial 12gb DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ocz Agility 2 120gb OS  Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Games WD Black 1tb Data 22x Sata Dvd Burner 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro Acer 23" H233H Steelseries 7G Corsair TX 950 
CaseMouseAudio
CM HAF 932 Logitech G500 Creative Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korlus View Post
Have you tried Dosbox? It emulates old hardware pretty well, and with the right suffixes on a shortcut, you can set it to instantly boot into whatever game you want. Anything that wants a 32 bit Operating system means I need to use Dosbox or similar to get it to run. I hate to go on about it, but are you sure that this is the only way?
Yep. I already used DOSBOX for a bit of Doom, with most other games I got it won't work or I have major problems (no audio) hence why I need a sound card with hardware processing (Creative have decent backwards compatibility).
Edited by Am* - 3/3/11 at 9:27am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Looking for a non-performance-killing PCI sound card?